Chihuahua People Forum banner

Willow just scared the life out of me

1K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  heartagram 
#1 ·
She fell down the stairs. I didn't know she'd gotten into the hallway, she'd gone up stairs and when I realised she wasn't in the living room I called her and in we excitement to get down the stairs to me she tripped and fell down the stairs. I practically ran to the vets. Luckily they were still open as there isn't usually a bet there outside of walk in and appointment times apparently.

He says she's fine. She hasn't broken anything, she's alert, her chest is clear, no internal bleeding. He said because she's small and young her bones probably just gave and that it was provably more of a shock for her and me than anything. He's given her an injection for pain and shock and said to give her some food and let her sleep somewhere warm so she's eaten normally and she's lying on my chest in a blanket asleep.

We'll be trying to find a dog/baby gate with small enough gaps and looking into insurance like we've been meaning to. I'm still in shock. And rich took my purse to work today so I have no money on me. He's on his way back now via the vet to go pay because they let me have until this evening to settle the bill. Now I'll have to go to work this evening and I don't want to leave her on her own :(

#4 ·
oh nooo poor baby!! I am glad she is ok. If you can't find a baby gate with small enough gaps, you can buy some plastic mesh and put it on with sturdy tie wraps. Thats what we had done in the beginning when we were terrified she would go out on the balcony and jump over the ledge. There was no way she could have..but as Tiffany said, better safe than sorry.

Give your girly extra hugs from Kalisee. What a fright!

#6 ·
Oh no Melissa! Poor willow! But I'm so happy she's ok! These little babies are pretty resilient and usually bounce right back. I wouldn't want to leave her either!! Just relax and give her lots of kisses from us! And yes, a baby gate is a must!! We have a couple. I would suggest (if u can find one) a baby gate with a door so you and rich don't trip over it. Hope you have a better rest of your day love! Xox

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#8 ·
Oh gosh, poor baby girl :( So glad shes ok hun.

Good call going to the Vets - i do feel for you xx

Honey got through a babygate when she was tiny, so i bought some bamboo screening (like from a garden centre) and fixed it to it. She couldnt get past as there were no gaps and it didnt look too bad either!

#9 ·
Thanks everyone. I will be getting onto that right away. She's acting her usual self but I'm going to put her in her crate while I'm away to rest. Rich is going to come home early so hopefully they won't be on their own too long.

Rich went to the vet to settle up the bill and the vetinary nurse asked 'how is she?' And he was like 'a few bruises by all accounts, but fine' and she replied 'no, I meant your other half. She looked more effected than the puppy was'.

#11 ·
How awful for you both, that must have given you such a fright. Glad she's not seriously hurt. She'll be fine with your OH while you go to work but I know how you feel not wanting to leave her. Argos do a mesh stair gate which is good for chi's but I don't think it's an opening one so not great for humans.

#12 ·
Melissa that must've been so scary!! Falling down a flight of stairs is what caused my Mia Zofia's handicaps, she was only 9 weeks old at the time. It was long before we adopted her but her previous owners were clearly traumatized by it! Willow is very lucky- give her extra cuddles and smooches today from me! =D

#13 ·
Thank goodness she is ok! I know exactly how you feel, I dropped Bambi down the stairs when she was Willows age. I was carrying her up the stairs, and she wriggled out of my grasp, I caught her several times before she finally fell. She didn't bump down the stairs, she fell through the bannister straight to the bottom. :O I ran down expecting a dead or mangled puppy... but she was fine! Running around like an idiot again 2 minutes later! She wasn't even bruised! It was the worst moment of my life though, my heart literally stopped. I really thought I had killed her.

#16 ·
Poor you and poor Willow! I'm glad she's ok.

They are really resiliant at that age forunately. My mum dropped Chloe when she was 12 weeks old and only weight a bit more than 2lb and it dislocated her hip but she was fine about 3 days later and there was no permanent damage. The vet said we were actually lucky it happened at that age because her bones and joints were so flexible it just went straight bak in of it's own accord. I have never been so scared in my life though so I know exactly how you felt.

#17 ·
Aw. I'm glad Chloe was ok. My vet said the sake thing; because she's young her bones were more flexible. He also said that if she'd been a bigger breed she'd have probably broken something.

I'm so glad she's ok. I was so scared that something really bad had happened and I was going to lose her. I feel horrible all over again just thinking about it. I feel like such a bad 'mother' for letting it happen :(

#21 ·
Only just seen this! I'm glad she's ok Melissa! Don't be hard on yourself - accidents happen! I know what you mean about thinking back though, there are a few things that have happened with Max and we have thought back and said 'what if' but I try not to think like that. A gate does sound like a good idea, even if it's just until she gets a bit bigger. Hope you're ok now :)

#22 ·
Ugh I'm glad you're both okay! really made me think about letting noah run on the landing now as he waits often at the top of the stairs but he could so easily trip or slip in excitement like willow did :( fff scary.

I know when I took noah for his second jab he was very sore and I think whilst I was holding him I must of pressed against it and he literally leapt out of my arms and smashed onto the hard floor, I also thought I had killed him! I just screamed and cried along with him lmfao, he was alright though, just very sore and dazed, probably a bit of a drama queen also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.