Chihuahua People Forum banner

PARVO-please help

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  KayC 
#1 ·
Hi I am new here and I have a question. I have a 14 week old Chihuahua puppy and he has ben throwing up and having some diarrhea. I took him to the vet yesterday and he was diagnosed with Parvo.
I just recently lost my job and I am having financial issues right now but did get this treatment to save our pup. They gave him antibiotics and an IV of fluids and sent him home. We have been up giving pedialyte every hour but he seems to really be hurting.
I was wondering if it is okay to give him Pepto Bismal for stomach pain? I have heard that it is okay but this is the first Chihuahua I have had and I do not want to hurt him either. Also if you can give it how much can I give to him?
Thank you for your help.

#3 ·
Parvo

Yes the vet did want to keep him, but with a payment of 500 dollars and I do not have that. I did get antibiotics from them and they want me to bring him in again today but I do not have the cash flow in order to do that. I wish I did but I just lost my job and I am trying to just get food on the table and pay my house payment to keep living for my kids too. The pup is very important to us, but I have no options right now. Thought maybe someone might have some rescues that they might have some suggestions on home help that I can help the pup with. I am trying to borrow some money from family to get pup in again tommorrow.

#6 ·
I have used it before when my dogs were ill with upset stomachs, my vet had told me to give it to them, my Pug and Terrier. He told me to give them 1/2 teaspoon, but for a Chi I would say 1/4 of a teaspoon, morning and one at night. You could start with 1/8 teaspoon, if that is not helping go to the 1/4.I have not idea how much your puppy weighs, it won't hurt him. Also I would try him on some unsalted chicken broth. Go luck I hope this little one pulls through. I guess he had it when you got him.

#8 ·
Any respectable veterinarian will help any animal in need reguardless of the owners financial situation.
I would explain your situation to your vet and see if you can pay in installments, as mentioned above.
Parvo is very serious and is something that needs to be taken care of ASAP by a licensed veterinarian.
If you don't mind me asking, did you get laid off? See if you could get unemployment, or ask family members.
I would definetaly do whatever you can, Parvo be fatal and sadly a very brutal disease if left untreated. More than one visit to the vet or even better staying at the vet is vital.
Bless your heart, and your chi's. Hope everything goes well! Keep us all posted if possible.

#9 ·
This is terrible and makes me so sad :( there are some grants you can apply to help with the financial issue part.. You have to look them up in your area. But main thing you can do is keep water in him! Even if you have to use a syringe dropper keep him hydrated! And I am so happy you took him ASAP to the vet or else he may not still be here :(

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#11 ·
I really don't think I'd give Pepto to a 14 week old pup. Most Pepto has asprin in it which isn't good for dogs & being he is already taking IV fluids & antibiotics, the Pepto might be way to much for his system. Many dogs die from Parvo. It's nothing to play around with. I would get him back to the vet any way you could & get him what he needs. Have you called around to other vets for cheaper prices?

#12 ·
I would also ask about installments or borrow the money from someone. My friend just lost her toy poodle puppy to parvo. It's VERY serious. I've heard of some people surrendering their dog to the vet clinic. Is that an option there? I would hate to give away my puppy, but would do it if it meant life or death.

#14 · (Edited)
Izzie may have had Parvo at around 5 months. She got sub-q fluids, antibiotics, and a anti-nausea injection (which I believed helped SOOO much) plus a blood test and a fecal test. Our total was about $350, which we didn't have at the time so I had to put it on my step-mom's Care Credit card. The vet wanted to hospitalize her overnight, but it would run over $1000 there and I couldn't do it, plus I didn't want her away from me during this time, she never had spent a night away from me. So I took her home.

I made a mixture at home for her based on advice from another Chi mama. It consisted of about 6 cups of plain pedialyte, 2 tablespoons of pumpkin puree, and 1 can of chicken beech nut baby food. I kept it in the fridge, then on my table stand at night. I syringed her that mixture every 4 hours, 8 CCs.. mixed with her pepto bismol. Then every 2 hours, I syringed her 4 CCs of just plain pedialyte. So every 2 hours she was getting fluids syringed, around the clock. I set alarms for every 2 hours even throughout the night. It took about 2 or so full days, but eventually she perked up and started eating some chicken and stuff.

She was 3.2 lbs from the start and that got down to 3 lbs, which is a big deal when they are small. I think it kinda stunted her growth maybe, cuz she is only 4 lbs max now.

#15 ·
At 12 weeks old my puppy was diagnosed with parvo after receiving her second set of vaccines 3 days before. I also choose home care but the vet gave her a shot of anti-nausea meds and sub q fluids before sending us home with anti nausea meds and anti biotics for her. I followed the vets instructions almost to the letter but I did have something called Parvaid (Amazon.com: Parvaid - All-Natural Parvo Aid for Dogs (1oz): Pet Supplies) at home already that I added on my own.
I got lucky and within 36 hours my puppy was back to herself but it was a lot of lost sleep and following the vets instructions before she was improving. I would call the vet back and ask about the anti-nausea meds for your puppy to help his stomach. Usually they can give something without needing another appointment specially since they know the puppy has parvo. The vet told me the hardest part of a parvo puppy is keeping anything from being thrown up which is why my vet gave the anti-nausea injection then meds to give her as needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.