Chihuahua People Forum banner

Sleepless nights

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  pupluv168 
#1 ·
Did anyone else have to get up 3/4times a night to a crying baby chi who wants to be with u lol, I get woken up by her crying cuz she wants to cuddle so I have to hold her till she falls asleep lol I cant let her cry its sad lol....did anyone else have lots ov sleepless nights with ur baby chi?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
The first 2nights my chis cried but really little and really short. Where does she sleep? is it close to your bed? since how long?
I know is sad to let them cry and could be very annoying also, but she needs to learn that she is doing something wrong, if you cuddle her she will not stop because she is getting exactly what she wants

#3 ·
She sleeps next to my bed on the floor on her bed, so she is next to me, sometimes I don't pick her up ill just have to leave my hand down for her to lay on which is very uncomfortable lol, yeah I get what u mean she will expect me to always do it... Its just so hard cuz I feel bad cuz she just a baby n wants her mummy lol

#6 ·
Laska and Karma (my chis) sleep both next to my bed also.
Here is my advice: go to bed and put your hand down before she starts whipping or crying, just so that she can smell you and know you are there but NOT so that she can lay down on it.
Don't pick her up, don't even look at her just act like if you were sleeping already, maybe she won't even start crying maybe she will just don't pick her up, it's for her and your good.

4days is still little so give her time, people around here are very wise and helpful I am sure someone will have a better advice

#7 · (Edited)
That sounds sad! I was lucky with Edie, she only cries at night when it's time to take her to the bathroom. She sleeps in her crate, next to the bed. This week, she's started to work out when bedtime is, and waits by the door when she thinks we ought to be going!

I know it sounds cruel, but it's better not to lavish a pup with attention when he or she cries at night. In part because losing sleep makes you more likely to get irritated in the day! But also because unless you're happy to do it forever, there will be a time when you'll have to teach them to sleep by themselves.

#8 ·
Theres lots of threads about this issue if you do a search in the search box - its really helpful :)
Basically though, if you want to have unbroken sleep in the future - you need to ignore her now! Tough love is the way to go im afraid. No matter how sad she sounds, how much she screams, if you know she is safe and doesnt need the toilet/food/water then ignore her!

Is she in a bed, or a bed in a crate? Or a play pen? How many times do you take her to toilet during the night? Does she have access to food and water during the night?

#9 ·
I agree with everyone. Unfortunately you need to ignore her. It's hard, I know, but it really is what's best for her in the long run. Depending on how old she is, she may need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, which is fine, but she should go back to her sleeping place right away afterwards. Strictly bathroom business only during the night. She's already learned that if she whines, she'll get attention... a dangerous place to be if you want some sleep in the future!

#13 ·
I would love for her to sleep with me but not when she this tiny, I don't want her to fall of the bed or anything, as I had a lil white chi a couple months ago that from day one when I got her was sick but she was on the bed n I looked away for one second n she fell n then I took her to the vet n they said she was fine but later that might she had heaps of seizures and I took her to emergency late night vet but she died in the middle ov the night was the worst thing I've had to go threw. :(

#14 ·
I am sorry about your white chi! It is probably one of the hardest things to do emotionally to get them not to cry at night but it is really for the best. Ignoring them is harder on us then it is on them I think but as long as you know the needs are taken care of then she will be okay.

#17 ·
We crate trained ours because we move and travel a lot with our jobs. Both of ours cried in short spells through the night their first week. Now they sleep through the night and don't have to worry about them getting into stuff (like chewing on things). It has worked well for us though that first week was heart wrenching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.