Chihuahua People Forum banner

Feeding my Chi

932 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  intent2smile 
#1 ·
This is my first small dog, and I am finding it very difficult to get her food (quantity) right. I am feeding her Blue Buffalo Wilderness Small Bites as primary. Her dry food is 1/8 cup per feeding, with a tablespoon of wet food mixed in. I will give her a soup spoon of the dry in the evening when she is begging, which is why I cut her dry food to 1/8 cup per meal. She is not a small chihuahua...she looked her best at 6-6.5 pounds. She is too chubby now. She plays outside with her ball very briskly once a day for fifteen minutes or so, and fetches tossed toys for five to ten minutes three or four times a day inside the house. I would say her activity level would be normal for a house dog. I would like to know how much other people are feeding their six pound chis. I should mention that on this much food she acts like she is starving three or four hours after she eats...especially in the evening. She normally eats at 7:00 AM and 3:30 PM.

My other dog, a 28 pound cockapoo, is exactly the weight he should be. He is an inactive senior dog...but has a waist (under a lot of fur).

#2 ·
If she is chubby I would up her excersize time (longer walks maybe, start increasing time slowly so you don't tire her so quickly and she gets used to it). I think you are giving her enough food (I feed raw so not exactly sure) but you could always give her some string beans when she seems hungry (it makes them feel full). Just my suggestion.

#3 ·
I agree with Megan. If I had an overweight dog, I would up the amount of exercise, in the form of a walk. What kind of wet food are you feeding?

I don't measure the amount of food that I give Odie, and we free feed (it works for her since she has some tummy issues). If I had to guess though, I would say that I feed over the recommended amount of kibble, plus ziwipeak. She's 5 lbs and thin.

#10 ·
Raw. Raw carrots are great too.
When Jaxx was teething I would pop carrots into the freezer and he would gnaw on them and it would help soothe his gums. He fell in love with carrots and green beans during teething. Now we keep one or the other in the house for a special treat for him occassionally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.