Chihuahua People Forum banner

A little annoyed !

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  AussieLass 
#1 ·
Yesterday we went to S.A.D to give our Christmas donation...it is a no kill shelter and struggles financially as most shelters do..
After we went into a local pet store to buy the girls new collars for xmas....a lady was shopping with her little grandson....he had a small hard dog toy in his hand and when he saw Zari..he threw the toy at her almost hitting her eye ! I was shocked at his reaction...the grandmother then said to him
" thats not for her, thats for your dog ! " as if he had made a kind gesture of offering Zari the toy ! Believe me, he was not making a kind offering to Zari..he flung that toy at her as hard as he could :foxes15:...I hate to think of how he treats his own pet...I just picked Zari up and walked away, I was afraid if I said something, it might have been inappropriate for tiny ears :rolleyes:
Never did get the collars, the ones I wanted hadn't come in yet !

#2 ·
Oh that's terrible! I'm so sorry. Poor lil Zari. You did better than I would have. I would have said something. I would have kept it clean, but that could have hurt her. From his GM's reaction, sounds as if he isn't taught how to treat animals. How sad. So sorry you and Zari had to go through that. (((Hugs)))

#3 ·
I thought about it after the fact...I did miss an opportunity to say something educational to both the GM and the child...but I was in shock...She only has one eye and my first thought was to pick her up and protect her...the mother bear reaction LOL I understand that to see her without an eye can be disturbing to some people..kids and adults...but his reaction was dangerous... later I was reading labels on Hip/Joint supplements and a tap came on my shoulder...I looked around an a man was standing there...he pointed at Zari and said " what happened to her eye ? " Some people just have to know LOL...but he was a very kind soul and does rescue etc so I didn't mind giving him the short version of Zaris ocular journey :)

#5 ·
I drove a school bus for 17 years and at the end of those years of was driving the children of the parents that was on the bus years before. Every year I saw the children go down hill. They were not taught kindness, respect for adults or to each other. I could go on but I won't. I am very dispointed in the way the parents today (not all ) but most are raising very spoiled and just plain bad children and then you have the children who are abused by the parents. Our country is going down hill. Very sad.

#6 ·
You know. Things like this also make me think about children you see poking, jerking, pulling, etc on a dog. Then the parents freak out when the dog bites. I hear and read it all the time. This might sound wrong to some, but if you don't teach your child to be gentle, then don't complain when the child gets bitten. I know there are cases when a dog bites when it isn't provoked, but just as many incidents when they are. It drives me nuts hearing, "well it's just a dog! I'm not going to have my child bitten even if he/she is provoking the dog." I wonder if the adult realizes just how ignorant that sounds? Dogs have feelings. Teach the child manners for Christ sake! Thank God my kids and Grandson know better. My kids would have freaked out seeing a child throwing a toy at Zari. Knowing my kids, they would have said something for you. :lol: And probably cried seeing lil Zari treated that way.

#18 ·
You know. Things like this also make me think about children you see poking, jerking, pulling, etc on a dog. Then the parents freak out when the dog bites. I hear and read it all the time. This might sound wrong to some, but if you don't teach your child to be gentle, then don't complain when the child gets bitten. I know there are cases when a dog bites when it isn't provoked, but just as many incidents when they are. It drives me nuts hearing, "well it's just a dog! I'm not going to have my child bitten even if he/she is provoking the dog." I wonder if the adult realizes just how ignorant that sounds? Dogs have feelings. Teach the child manners for Christ sake! Thank God my kids and Grandson !know better. My kids would have freaked out seeing a child throwing a toy at Zari. Knowing my kids, they would have said something for you. :lol: And probably cried seeing lil Zari treated that way.
Amen to that!! I hate having kids around my dogs. For example my fiance dads girlfriend has a 6 year old and she has a 6 month old shi tzu mix and she throws him and punches him. Its horrible.and you can't say anything to the brat because that's mommy will get mad.

#7 ·
So glad she wasn't hurt! I can't believe that child did that! Well, nowadays, I can. I have had some issues with children who were not raised around animals thinking Ava is a small toy and trying to be rough with her, but I immedietaly say something. I have a big mouth at times :rolleyes:

TL, you have very good point and I completely agree!
I feel as though some parents, not all, ( I actually know a few who do this ) were raised in a strict environment so they want their kids to have more freedom and they want to be their kids friend, the problem is they forget how to be a parent.
My mom is a huge animal lover being a vet tech and taught me as soon as I was born it feels like to be respectful and kind to all animals.
I feel like the more spoiled children I see who aren't taught to love and respect animals, the more abused animals you see. And just as TL said, then people want to complain when an animal retaliates! Just like a human, you can only take so much until you snap.

#8 ·
This may sound harsh but I remember back in the day when my friend and I were younger and should have known better we woke up her family's older jack russell terrier rougher than we should have. I think we were wanting her to play but she didn't hear very well and was asleep and she woke up and snapped at us, connecting with my friend and drawing a bit of blood. Nothing bad, just a small wound. We knew that we would be in more trouble than the dog when we told her mom but we had to in order to get a band-aid. Her mom just said that's what we get for not respecting the dog like we were taught!

Today's parents would have freaked out and euthanized the dog for being vicious! It wasn't her fault but ours and we remembered forever after to be kinder to her older soul. We weren't bad kids but we forgot in our eagerness to play. Lesson learned.

Kids need to be taught how to behave around dogs and dogs need to be taught how to behave around kids and both should always be monitored! That child that threw the toy should have been scolded and removed from the store.

#9 ·
I absolutely hate when kids behave that way towards animals because the parents don't think it's necessary to teach their kids how to behave around animals. But I have even more when the parents don't even tell their kids off about their behaviour. I had Rocky in my arms once in a pet shop and there was this kid with a balloon on a stick in front of me. As he turned around and saw Rocky he tried to hit him with the balloon a couple of times. I was soo shocked about how rude this kid and the parents found it funny....... Absolutely hate this especially if seeing their were just about to buy him a guinea pig....:/

#10 ·
I am part of a generation that was never taught respect. Many of my peers do not have manners and don't care for others. The generation younger than me is even worse.

My parents probably spoil me, and they always have. The difference is I was disciplined. I knew right from wrong. My parents didn't cater to my every whim. I was taught manners and to respect every living thing. My parents would never tolerate me not saying please or thank you, let alone throwing something at a defenseless dog. I was also taught the value of the things I got. I was raised to me motivated, to value education and civic responsibility. Many of my peers were not. And now they are raising their children the same way.

It doesn't matter if they were raised around dogs, it's a matter of respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

#11 · (Edited)
My daughter came over last summer with my 2 grand kids and her friend and her 2 kids well we were all outside in the yard and at that time Charlie was just a tin pup. and my daughters friends child kicked poor Charlie like he was a football sent hin flying about 4 feet . I flipped It took everything I had not to hit someone elses child but I'm telling you that kid will never hurt another animal thats for sure. I sat him down and had a very long talk about what he thinks it would feel like if a giant came along and kicked him like he kicked Charlie and then asked him if he would like flyig through the air after being kicked that hard in the tummy and landing on the ground with a big thud 10 ft away. he was 4 yrs old so I;m sure the visualization was very amaginative.. He started to cry and said how sorry he was I said are you ever going to do that again and he said not ever I didn't know it would hurt him. I told him that animals are just like us they hurt like we do and if you think that something might hurt you then it will hurt an animal too. He said he was so sorry and he even appoligized to Charlie which I thought was kind of cute. The Mom didn't say a word the whole time I was talking to her son but she listened maybe I taught her something as well.

#12 ·
I sat him down and had a very long talk about what he thinks it would feel like if a giant came along and kicked him like he kicked Charlie and then asked him if he would like flyig through the air after being kicked that hard in the tummy and landing on the ground with a big thud 10 ft away. he was 4 yrs old so I;m sure the visualization was very amaginative.. He started to cry and said how sorry he was I said are you ever going to do that again and he said not ever I didn't know it would hurt him. I told him that animals are just like us they hurt like we do and if you think that something might hurt you then it will hurt an animal too.
Pat, I love how you handled the situation!! I would probably do the same thing. I get so upset when parents neglect to teach their children respect, unfortunately often because respect isn't a part of their parents lives either. It saddens me as well to see how society is going downhill. Like Ashley said I look forward to having children of my own someday to teach them how to properly treat animals, as my parents did for me. People thought I was spoiled, but I never took anything for granted, and never asked for anything. Family was always more important to me than materialism, and these days you rarely see that anymore. =(

So sorry that you had to experience that Kathleen; I'm glad that Zari wasn't hurt by that boys behavior. Shame on him; AND on the grandmother!!!

#13 ·
I have a service animal and the behavior toward him sometimes is atrocious. (Douglas is now being trained with the goal of being a service dog eventually.)

I've had kids and even adults come up and grab him, pull on him, squeeze his head...everything you could think of. They don't ask to touch him, they just do- and I have had the same problem with Douglas. Unlike my service animal, Bode, Douglas will bite- and has tried.

Bode doesn't do anything when people are mean, he's an angel, just yawns and squints and burrows against me. But it makes me want to kill them.

I also get rude comments to him (he's a ferret...) and he gets called names. So rude. He is a working animal. You do not touch working animals, for one, and two, he's better behaved and cleaner than your children. The parents often laugh when children abuse my little one.

Absolutely sickening.

Reactions: nabi
#15 ·
We were at my husbands family reunion, and I had my puppy Panzer with me. Hubby's cousin's 6 year old little girl is notoriously naughty, she is adorable but gets away with murder. She was following Panzer all over, and kept trying to give him a shoe, mostly harmless, just annoying. Then she picked up a stick and hit him in the face. I flew over a table, snatched the stick and said loudly "You do NOT hit a puppy with a stick! Where is your mother!!!". Everyone there froze, no one moved, her mom stood up and took her aside, and explained that animals should not be hit. The little terror(I actually love her to bits, she is ADORABLE just wild.) came over and apologized to Panzer and I a little while later. We have never had a problem since, and her parents watch her like a hawk now when she is around my dogs. It was really embarrassing, but if I hadn't said anything no one would have. I get so damn mad when people let their children run wild, especially when it comes to animals. I have raised my toddler to be caring and gentle, and always respect an animals space. Even though he is very gentle, I would still never leave him alone with one, even ours, he is a child and needs supervision for his own safety as well as our pets. Children need to be taught how to be loving, patient, caring, and gentle. It baffles me that some people don't understand that.

#16 ·
I have raised my toddler to be caring and gentle, and always respect an animals space. Even though he is very gentle, I would still never leave him alone with one, even ours, he is a child and needs supervision for his own safety as well as our pets. Children need to be taught how to be loving, patient, caring, and gentle. It baffles me that some people don't understand that.
Very wise words !

#17 ·
I am just thankful that the child did throw the toy at Zaris visual side...if he had thrown it at her non visual side she would not have ducked..it could have given her a concussion ( or worse ) as it was quite a hard toy... Zari often hits the left side of her face on table legs etc d/t not being able to see them so it is always a worry for us...

#19 ·
Oh dear, I'm afraid my reflex action would've been a swift, sharp swat on the butt of that rotten little tyke.

'Tis the only time I've ever laid a hand on my kids, is when they've been mean to another child or animal. It sure paid off because once they're old enough to go to friends houses etc. it's always rewarding to get so many compliments about their politeness, amazing manners and maturity AND sensibilities around their various animals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.