Chihuahua People Forum banner

Sometimes you just got to laugh!

751 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Wicked Pixie 
#1 ·
So we have a senior cat of 17 years who is not able to jump over a gate, hence the cat box is open access to the dogs when we are home. My husband and I can usually get the cat deposits. Yes, sometimes we don't and one of the dogs gets a feast. Well I caught little 3.5 pound Prince with a huge cat turd today. Next thing I know he is throwing up, he threw up three times. Let me tell you, I have never seen something so disgusting in my life. Looked and smelled like a cat turd mixed with vomit. Luckily most was on the hard wood floors but some on his bed. I now have the bed cover in the sanitize cycle of the washer. All I can say is after owning cats and cleaning up many messes this one rated right up there. On the bright side I have had Lady since May and Prince since October and this is the first dog throw up episode we have had. So I guess this is just part of dog ownership. What would have been really gross would be if Lady ate what Prince threw up....sorry, hope I didn't gross anyone out with this post. I am just laughing at the situation and wishing their was a solution. I thought about the auto litterboxes but dang the pups are quick. They would likely get to cats deposits before the litterbox could clear since the boxes have a delay. If anyone else has a cat box suggestion I would love to hear it (senior cat who can't jump over a barrier).

#4 ·
I have my bathroom door on a hook and eye. Very stiff wire opens the door enough for the cat. I pull the cat box (back near the door) to the opening . Then the cat jumps on top of the litter box (can your cat jump that high?) and into her safe room. She has her bed and food there. The chi's very occasionally will try and scoot by the litter box, but mostly they can't fit. Hope you find a solution soon. I also have a closed litter box.

#6 ·
That is a tough one. If the cat cant jump any higher than the dogs and the dog is small enough to fit in any where that the cat can:scratch: that is a puzzle. Maybe try something like putting the cat box up on a table with a narrow ramp or narrow steps. With any luck the dogs will be to leary to try and get up there.

#9 ·
Wow, thanks for the suggestions. The cat can jump I would say about two feet, maybe a bit more. She can get onto the couch. Prince is my smaller chi and is 3.5 pounds. He does not even go up stairs. I have to carry him. I hadn't thought of a very low barrier of no more than two feet at the door of the room the cat box is in. That would at least keep Prince out. My guess is that if Lady really wanted to jump over a small barrier she could although I have not seen her really jump over anything. As far as the cat is concerned, I wonder if she would be willing to jump over something? I hate to disrupt the patterns of my senior cat. She has been through so much with me. I want her to live to 20!

Do any of you think a cover litterbox is a distraction to a chi? They could fit into it but I wonder if they would stay out of it. My two just love the litter box! YUCK!

#10 ·
I know how you feel! I think my golden has hit the litter box a few times!

I have two barriers, one at the bottom of our stairs and one at the door to the room the letterbox is in. I basically use one of those wire linen shelves. Angel and Susie can get over it, but they don't, not Angel anyway.

With my other dogs I used to have I had a round litter box. I think it was called a Booda. The cat goes in the opening, up a small ramp to the opening. It worked, but eventually I moved it to our basement.

Good luck, it's not an easy solution!

#11 ·
Just goes to show that no matter how cute the dog, they are all horrible little monsters underneath! Hopefully being sick like that will have taught him to avoid snacking in the litter box. Ewww! Harley is also partial to cat poo, but he has learnt not to go near litter trays now. interestingly he only ever tried to eat the poo of cats fed on commercial food, our own cat was raw-fed and Harley ignored his poo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.