Chihuahua People Forum banner

Good harness?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  ~LS~ 
#1 ·
I would like to start teaching Max how to walk on a harness, but am not sure what kind to get. I have read good things about mesh harnesses, and wanted to know if anybody has used this one?

Dog Collars & Dog Harnesses | Mesh Harness

If so any good?
If not what is a good one to start with?

#2 ·
Personally I don't care for the over the head harnesses like that. I prefer step in harnesses.
We have 4 different harnesses and I have had the best luck with the vest type step in harness.
I like Puppia harnesses. A lot of people use BuddyBelt harnesses which is on my to do list to try but until Jaxx needs a new one Puppia works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
My personal favorites are Puppia and Buddy Belts harnesses.
Both brands make high quality, durable and adorable harnesses.

Here are a couple examples of Puppia ones...
Puppia Dog Step In Mesh Vest Harness All Colors & Sizes | eBay

ANY COLOR & SIZE - Puppia Harness - Mesh Dog Puppy Harness - USA & CA | eBay

Puppia Step In Vest Dog Harness Soft Collar - COMBAT | eBay

Here are the Buddy Belts...
Buddy Belt Leather Goods

You can see pictures of different dogs wearing their Buddy Belts here...
https://www.facebook.com/buddybelts/photos

#5 ·
It depends...how big is your pup?

#7 ·
Hiya :)
We like the puppia harnesses for every day use especially on muddy rainy days, but I am also a huge fan of the susan lanci step in harnesses. They are a bit more expensive so its best used for just strolls out in town or the park in good weather and they are very comfy.
As for life jackets, I bought one a couple of years back from g.w little, they don't have the exact same one I bought but this is a very similar one (the color is different,, mine was red) We have used our one a few times and it does the job!

Pink Polka Dot Doggie Life Jacket from PawsAboard

#11 ·
Hiya :)
We like the puppia harnesses for every day use especially on muddy rainy days, but I am also a huge fan of the susan lanci step in harnesses.
Me too! I love the Susan Lanci harness because the fabric is so soft. The only catch is they are not adjustable, so I had to order a new one after Ren was about 6 months old. But they are so easy to get on (just put the front paws through and fasten the clip on the back) and the fabric does not chafe and irritate him - I wouldn't use any other harness.

#9 ·
I personally don't care for an over-the-head harness, or one that has thin straps. The first is annoying to get on, and the second has chafed both my dogs, unless they're worn over a sweater or shirt.

Which is why I chose to go with a vest style harness. Both my dogs are wearing my favorite kind in my signature pic. I bought them from BaxterBoo, my favorite online dog store. These are mesh, and very lightweight for the summer. I have similar ones for when it's cooler, and as mentioned previously in the winter time when it's really cold, I'll sometimes use the strappy kind when the dogs are wearing their sweaters, because I put them over the sweaters so they don't chafe. But my default harnesses as often as I can get away with using them are the mesh ones in the siggy pic. They have velcro closures which I've tested rigorously to make sure there's no way they can come apart, even when I've jerked the dogs off the floor by their leash!

#12 ·
I personally don't care for an over-the-head harness, or one that has thin straps. The first is annoying to get on, and the second has chafed both my dogs, unless they're worn over a sweater or shirt.

I NEVER liked thin strap type of harnesses. And even after seeing Buddy Belts
I was sure they were going to rub the armpits. But wow I was wrong! They are
so soft, they mold to the dog's body, and move with him/her. Even tiny Bella,
who has almost no fur on her pits has no issues with BBs. Of course I love
Puppia step ins too, especially because they are comfy and washable. I like
the look of the ones in your siggy too, but never tried them.

#14 ·
Ronni, this one is my favorite. The owner is Susan, she's very helpful, she also
has the biggest color selection I've seen. There are certain types of Buddy Belts
that are softer, they are called "Luxury" and "Fancy". The "Special" and "Classic"
collections are much stiffer. So for our little Chis I suggest the softer variety.
Those literally melt in your hands.

Buddy Belt Leather Goods

If you ever decide to get one, don't hesitate to ask for help regarding size and
type, there are a lot of options, and with this harness the right fit is crucial.
I only buy Buddy Belts and Puppia harnesses, I'm kind of a pro now, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.