Chihuahua People Forum banner

too cold to potty

2K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Barracuda51 
#1 ·
Last night was 0 degrees F. I took Barney out. He would not potty. I took him in and we went to bed.
This morning I took him out. He did pee but ran right back in and will not go out again. He always goes to the bathroom in the morning.
I am concerned about him not going.
He is wearing his thermal and his coat each time I take him out.

Sent from Petguide.com App

#2 ·
BG is doing the same thing. She tells me it freezes before it comes out :p

Honestly I have pee pads down and I am making her go out in the morning and evening and right before bed and I try not to fall for the cute I don't have to go routine.

#4 ·
sonny lifts his leg too but he always goes on the pad. My are trained for both outside and potty pads (the only potty pad issue I have is my Diva wants a new pad after every small piddle with 2 dogs and not being home all day that does not happen)

#5 ·
We had this issue once winter started too! The last couple of days were -10 or so. Moose did not want to potty. I keep taking him out anyway. I have to stand there with him and tell him "go potty" his command. If he doesn't go I take him in and repeat within the hour. He is slowly getting used to it now and will go fast! I do have to shovel out a little area for him.

I tried to introduce the pee pad but he just doesn't get it. He squats to pee but has only known the outside. So we just keep at it. But he sure looks at me pathetically and sad when I tell him it's time to go potty.

He is starting to alert me with a bark. Then I know he really has to go. It's taken awhile though.

#10 ·
it was 4 degrees here this morning. Peyton ( my yorkie ) , does not use a pee pad. i got her when she was an adult, so she never got used to using one. she went out for me real quick and did a quick pee. :).
Tootsie didnt see to mind the cold. she ran out , did both and ran back in :).
even Minnie went out but not for too long.
Latte never goes out unless i carry her down the stairs.
i'm not making Minnie , Tootise, and Latte go out in this freezing cold weather. they are very happy to use the pee pads.
but if Peyton doesnt go out, she'll pee on the floor and she doesnt want to do that, so, i bundle her up and she goes out and comes back in real quick

#12 ·
I was in Ohio this weekend to visit my mom who unfortunately is in the hospital. I took the pups with me. It was very, very cold there. I was shocked Lady would go out get it done and come back in. Prince would pee quick but not do number two. I knew he would go inside on the floor or carpet. I just followed him around until he did. No sense in keeping him outside when temps were single digits. I think Prince might have also had a hard time because, with it being so cold, we couldn't do walks (which I suspect stimulate their little bowels). I really valued the tiny firm Ziwipeak poos this weekend!

#13 ·
Anubis and chi chi don't seem to mind the cold but Neeka isn't liking it.
She just came home with me to WV from TN this past Saturday and it is colder here then where she used to live so she isn't happy about that. It is just getting colder and starting to snow which she hates.
All three are pad trained so we'll probably pick some up tomorrow and let them use them instead of trying to take all three of them out.

#14 ·
Wow! So I'm not the only one having problems with chis and the cold!hehehe

I put pee pads down but he looks at me with a look of "Huh? Are you serious!" But he won't use and really, really doesnt want to go out! He will pee outside!

Today he kind of scared me. I took him out and after he peed, he was sniffing a place to poop but started acting very strange. So I picked up and brought him inside! I'm guessing his poor little feet were cold!

I'll be glad when this cold snap breaks!

#15 ·
Since we live in AZ it doesn't get cold or stay cold that often. Last week it was 18 degrees. We have a mat outside the back door, and Lupita barely made it out the door, hit that mat, squatted, and was back in the house. 10 seconds outside tops! During the day, with her coat on, if the sun was shining, and no wind she would venture alittle farther. She hates cold, wind, and rain!

#21 ·
It's been getting down to -40 celcius (-40 fahrenheit) at night here, and needless to say the boys don't like going out! Even in parkas. They pee right outside the door, and wait until they are back in the elevator to poop.... this is why I wait to take the elevator when there is no one waiting!!!!

They are so house broken, I dont think at this point I can train them to use a peepad. But they stay outside long enough to pee anyway, it's the pooping that is more problematic.

We can't wait for spring!

#22 ·
It's -20 here and my 2 go outside with no sweater or jacket they pee and poop quick sometimes run around in the snow lol they lift their feet cuz it's cold but they still go out no problem. We don't use pads at all in my house yuck. Lol they don't like wearing sweaters or jackets this year for some reason so I'm not torturing them they wouldn't go outside without them for 7 and 5 1/2 years so I don't know what's the change now lol. It's been a fairly mild winter except the last two weeks where it's been in the very cold negatives.

#25 ·
No pee pads here my dogs go out to potty no matter how flippin cold it is, Muffin is a snow baby cant get her back in once shes out there she loves that snow and would rather be playing in it than be inside where theres no snow. LOL!! Luna on the other hand shes a old gal she hates the snow, does her bizz and right back in. But all my dogs thruout my life pets and rescuse always were out door potty dogs, there is NO POTTYING in my house..:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.