Chihuahua People Forum banner

Article on the benefits of feeding tripe

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  fizzy n kirbys mum 
#1 ·
#5 ·
The treats are usually dried, and still have the nutritional benefits. Tripe also contains an enzyme that helps to keep teeth clean, I would imagine the dried sticks are actually better for that.
I get mine from a couple of local pet shops. One is Prize Choice freeflow mince, which is really handy as you can just pour out as much as you need at a time and because it is mince it defrosts really quickly, ideal if you have forgotten to get anything out.
The other pet shop sells it in 1lb blocks, which is small chunks and much more stinky than the PC mince. This is the one my lot prefer, it looks absolutely revolting! The brand is Tammy, it is produced locally.
I know Natural Instinct sell tubs of green tripe, (more expensive, but theirs is only 4 hours from slaughter to being frozen, so it is very fresh and supposedly less stinky) and all the companies that supply bulk frozen dog meat carry tripe, some even stock lambs tripe.
It is also the perfect addition to kibble if you want to increase the overall amount of meat in your dogs diet.

#6 ·
I've been feeding tripe to my dogs for the last 23 years :) years ago
My terriers just had tripe,mixer& vitamins and did amazingly :)

I feed Natural Instincts green tripe - it is great quality
And as Stella said 'very fresh' .... You can really tell the difference between it and
'Other' frozen tripes! It's well worth the money :)
Quality is so important to me, I once brought 40 kg of
'Cheaper' minces and throw it all away the quality was so bad
( wont do that again)

When I first changed my kirby to raw ( he has pancreatitis &
Was really poorly ) he had NI green tripe & chicken - it really saved his life :)

#7 ·
Thanks Stella. I can always count on you for great advice :) I'll try asking my butcher but if they don't have any I might try getting a delivery from natural instinct or somewhere. The only problem is having a tiny freezer...I wish I had another one. I thought I would give it a try and see if it helps Mylo with his tummy problems. They're currently chewing on some of the tripe treats I've just gotten from zooplus....it's funny because Mylo rubs his face all over them!

#12 ·
Haha. Yep. I'd be tempted to feed raw if I could buy another freezer but we don't have the money or space unfortunately. I tried it for a few weeks but Mylo wouldn't eat organs, even when I chopped it up tiny and put it in with other food and Willow wont eat anything I've tried other than Mince so that's pretty much what they get these days. One raw meal of mince per day, rotating between pork, beef, lamb and turkey.

#17 ·
NI is one of the few raw food suppliers that doesn't have a massive minimum order, I think it is 5kg. The food comes in 1kg plastic tubs, so 5kg wouldn't actually take up a huge amount of freezer space. Although obviously it works out much cheaper to get as much as possible for the same delivery charge.
They are a great company, very knowledgeable and with top notch customer service.
Pre-made is definitely the easiest way to get into raw, my Mum feeds both her dogs (elderly JRT and rescue Whippet) and her cats on NI.
I haven't used them myself but check out Honey's and Wolf Tucker as well, same sort of thing, they might have a supplier nearer to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.