Chihuahua People Forum banner

Fruits and vegetable

9K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Nine 
#1 ·
Yesterday i went to the vet for Bambi's vaccination. He told me it was okay to give fruits and vegetable to my dog. Well Carottes, Celery, Bananas, Apples, Oranges are okay but NOT grapes since they can poison themselves. Anyways, my question is how many of you gave some to your chis ? I want to try to give him some but im scared lool

#2 ·
Hey! That's funny you asked that. I just bought a magazine yesterday called Animal Wellness and they have an article in there about feeding fruits and vegetables. The article is entitled Top Ten Fruits and Vegetables. Here's a summary.

"The following ten fruits and vegetables are majour players when it comes to the health and well being of our feline and canine family members."

1. Carrots
2. Broccoli
3. Green Beans
4. Pumpkin
5. Sweet potatoes
6. Tomato (disclaimer, I've always heard not to feed tomato to your dog)
7. Apples
8. Blueberries and cranberries
9. Cantalpoupe
10. Watermelon

The article goes on to say that "Our animals don't have the necessary enzymes to break down the cellulose walls, which are indigestible carbohydrates found in the outer layers of fruits and vegetables like apples, broccoli, green beans, and carrots. We have to break down the walls for them, so these power-packed foods become as bio-available as possible. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways:

*A food processor
*Cooking or steaming
*Juicing"

I have fed my dogs carrots, sweet potato, green beans, bananas, and apples with no problems at all. My terrier could not handle the broccoli but then again I didn't break it down for her because I didn't know you were supposed to!

I would avoid celery unless you find out it is good for them. Celery can be hard to digest and it really does not have much nutritional value (for humans, anyway).

#9 ·
I think the only thing with oranges is that it's acidic, so it's probably better to stay away from that if your dog has a sensitive stomach. And even if he or she doesn't have a sensitive tummy, it's probably better to only give small amounts of oranges or any citrus fruits. That's just my thought anyways... Other than acidic fruits, I give my baby pretty much anything, of course in moderation. :p

#14 ·
Milo's number one favorite is watermelon. He goes crazy for it! I accidently dropped some on the kitchen floor once while chunking a watermelon and he got ahold of it before I could get to it. Of course I give it to him in moderation. He also loves carrots and apples.

As far as other foods, I have given him boiled chicken breast and he also gets a little bit of cottage cheese everyday. Milo will dart for the kitchen and dance around as soon as you ask him if he wants some cheese. LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.