Chihuahua People Forum banner

Can dogs have tomatoes?

9K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  woodard2009 
#1 ·
Ember was begging so mom gave her about three pieces of chopped tomato she was fixing for tacos. Are tomatoes okay for dogs? Ember seemed to like it so I wanted to know.

#5 ·
My dogs have eaten fresh tomatoes for 14 years! No problems ever. We grow them and thet love to go snatch them off the vine--lol. It just makes a mess with seeds down their fronts ( mostly my previous white chested shelties). I will give the Chi's little chunks to play with and eat...they love it--just not too much or you will get loose stools.

Rule of thumb on veggies...above ground growers loosen bowels, below ground growers firm bowels.

Mine love chewing a carrot stick, broccoli stem or the center vein you cut out of a collard green or piece of romaine! Yum...low calorie treat! :):):)

#12 ·
Tomatos are in the nightshade family. They are not advised. Having said that, Brody used to pick them off the plants and eat them (the cherry ones). But when I heard that they were not good for dogs, I stopped letting him have them. Remember you have to consider the very very small size of our dogs. A tomato might be harmless to a large dog. But considering how small our dogs are, I err on the conservative side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.