Chihuahua People Forum banner

Long hair Chihuahua, or Chi-Pom Mix? Pictures attached.

7K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  My_Hunny 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone!
We adopted Twinkie from a Shelter. They got her from a breeder who no longer wanted to breed, or something like that? The breeder was going to keep Twinkie, but at the last second gave her to the shelter. She's pretty adorable, and we don't really care either way- but we're pretty sure she's not full long hair chihuahua like we were told. Again, we don't care- we're just curious. She's not so much long-hair as she is fluffy lol. She definitely has the chihuahua face+ body- but she's a fluffball. Our vet said they could always do the bloodwork down the road to find out, but I don't know. I don't really want to make her have blood taken just for our curiosity, ya know? Wouldn't really be fair to her. It's not like we're trying to show her or anything major, we're just curious. So I attatched some pictures (well, I think I did anyway. I'm not great at computer stuff). If anyone has any thoughts let me know! Thanks :cool:

#4 ·
She definitely looks like a full Chi to me. How old is she? If she is still young, she may just not have her adult coat in yet. Some long haired Chis don't get their adult coats until two years old... Or maybe she just has a full, fluffy coat. To me, her coat doesn't look like that of a Pom.

#7 ·
She is absolutely gorgeous by the way! She will be a stunner when she grows up!

May I ask where you live that you found a pure bred chi puppy at a shelter? I'm searching petfinder casually, hoping to find a little girl eventually, and I'm curious.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

#10 ·
We just moved to Missouri. A shelter called Diana's Grove Dog Rescue. They were saying that when a breeder/puppy mill gets dogs that aren't "perfect" they end up at shelters, or worse.. So they had a lot of pure-breds that just weren't "perfect" for different reasons. They had a bunch of chihuahuas, as well as other small dogs. I think they transport their puppies, but their petfinder doesn't have even a quarter of all their dogs- so it's hard to go by that. Facebook/calling them would probably get you a better idea.

#15 ·
Very cute and adorable! She def looks like a full, long coat chi. Im thinking that if she was part pom she would be very fuzzy like a baby chick. My sister's sil has a chi pom mix pups and looks just like thier other pure pom pups, its just that it had a skinnier face.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#19 ·
She looks LC to me! Haru looked way less fluffy when I first got her and now her fur is growing out in blobs everywhere! Haha :) I think it's rare for full chi's to have a medium coat, it's 90% either long or short. Long coat is a recessive gene and since there is no such thing as a bald pomeranian, even if it's a pomchi, it'll be fluffy :)

#20 ·
A friend of mine actually raises Chi-Poms, and some do look like pure Chi's, so it's very hard to say. (Beautiful long haired male Chi - father to my Diesel, and the mom is a Pom.)

Her little face looks Chi, but as I said so do half the ones my friend has.

Regardless, as you said, she's precious and it really doesn't matter!

#27 ·
Little young yet to get a precise idea, but
yepp,, looks like a long hair chi. to me also.
What a Cutie Pie!!! Sure she'll make a fantastic
pet/companion.
Blessings.

#33 ·
Did you ever find out? I've found some DNA testing kits on amazon, where you do a swab and send it in for the results. I think it takes about 10 days and is about $50. It's a lot for just curiosity, but cheaper than with the vet. I know you have to read the directions really carefully to set it up, since its usually user error that gives false or unreadable results. I'm curious to hear what they are also though, since mine looked so similar. Now that he's older, the Pom side is showing up much more. I'm 95% positive Hunny is a pomchi, but I still am constantly wondering if there's something else, or maybe that I'm wrong altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.