Chihuahua People Forum banner

Learned my lesson

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  pupluv168 
#1 ·
I have a huge memo tomorrow. So today Toby and I were unable to do our usual long walk on the nature trail. He got his short walks around the nature trail, but I didn't have three hours to walk. Now, I am paying the price.

Toby is barking and running around. He's nearly bouncing off the walls. He's acting like he's been cooped up in the house for 100 years. I've haven't ever seen anything like it.

Needless to say, we will never miss the walk again. If I'm super busy, I will ask my friend to walk him with his doxie buddy. Or call the pet sitter.

So if any of your dogs have extreme energy problems or behavior issues, extra walking can help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

#2 ·
I know exactly how you feel! Last weekend I had a huge assignment that had to be done before Monday. Jaxx didn't get his normal long walks but got short walks instead. I was out walking at probably 9:30 that night because Jaxx had so much energy I couldn't get anything done.
I have learned that Jaxx too always needs his walk even if I don't have time. I was busy yesterday but I called up a friend and asked if she could let Jaxx play with her English bulldog and dachshund for a while to burn off some of his energy. They ran around and chased each other for probably 2 hours and Jaxx was still hyper after he got home. It was so cute though the English bulldog is still a puppy so has all that puppy energy. Jaxx had on a sweater and the bulldog was trying to drag Jaxx around by his sweater. At one point the English bulldog just laid down on Jaxx. I was worried about Jaxx but he just got up and started chasing the bulldog again. Then the two dogs started chasing Jaxx at the same time. I really thought Jaxx would have burnt off some of his energy but in the end I figured out he needs his long walks no matter what other playtime he gets.

#4 ·
Well, I figured out why he was acting crazy and it wasn't cause he was hyper. He kept going to the kitchen and going crazy barking at the stove, so I went in to check. I left the oven on!! It was very hot. I had a pot holder on top of it that could have set on fire.

As soon as I turned it off, Toby stopped barking.

He is officially a genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

#12 ·
As someone who did not have a dog at the time of a horrible kitchen fire, I can imagine how relieved you were to have your little hero around!!

What you said is true though, they need their walks. Even mine who is terrified on every single walk we go on, it is not fun at all, will still be "different" if she does not go out one day.

Give your little one extra special treats for taking such good care of his mama!

#20 ·
That is pretty cool! I saw a really cute fireman Halloween costume. Maybe next year you could dress him like a fireman! Also, super great that it doesn't take three hours of walking a day to calm him down. It would be hard to consistently dedicate 1/8 of each day to walking a dog.....no matter how much we love them life happens.

#22 · (Edited)
Wow, that is a good amount of walking and I bet there is a health benefit in there for you too. Funny thing is I really try to stay very active cycling, running, yoga, Pilates....love it all. I noticed this fall I was losing weight. I concluded it was from extra walking with the pups. I like to get in a 30-40 minute walk on weekdays and a longer walk of about 50 minutes on weekends. This is not nearly what you do but it sure has trimmed Lady down nicely and took a few extra pounds off me (which I don't need due to my other physical activity). I had a hip replacement a year ago December. I actually couldn't have walked a mile with the dogs at this time last year! I relish pain free walking and pain free activity. I would have gotten a pup sooner but I couldn't have managed it with a genetically bad bone structure in my hip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.