Chihuahua People Forum banner

Worming

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Buildthemskywards 
#1 ·
I need to buy some more wormer for Willow. Drontal puppy suspension says that they need a different formula after 12 weeks because it doesn't cover tape worm but I'm not sure what it is I need to buy or how often I need to worm. The first vet I saw at my practice said once a month until 6 months. The vetinary nurses and the vet I saw with Willow said every 2 weeks until 6 months and Willow's vet at the breeders said once a month too. What do I do after that? Mylo is over 6 months now so when do I need to worm him from now on?

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
Not sure if it's available in the UK. It protects against heartworm, roundworm, hookworm and whipworm. It doesn't protect against tape worm. We don't worm for tape worm here because we don't have fleas in the area (we did get fleas but got them on vacation). I believe that tape worms are visible in stool.

#6 ·
You could also give Trifexis if they sell it in the UK. It prevents and kills feas and protects against heartworm and intestinal parasites other than tapeworm. Unfortunately Lady did have tapeworm once and you can see it in the stool. It was a once dose tablet to get rid of it. With Trifexis, you give it once a month and they are protected from "most" things they get into.

#8 ·
Your vet will know what you should protect against in your area. We protect against heart worm here in the summer because we're in one of the few bad heart worm areas in Canada. It really depends on the risk factors of where you live. Wonder if there's a separate preventative just for tape worm? I don't think that it would be a huge risk if they're not exposed to fleas regularly, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#9 ·
I looked at the Drontal website. They're the ones my vet stocks and there's a Drontal plus which is still suitable for puppies. It works on all worms that are a problem in the UK according to their website. I got some from amazon and I emailed Drontal to ask about dosage and how often to use :) Thanks for all your input everyone :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.