update on Dexters bloodtest... - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chi chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Name: aliases: Pidge, Paris, Sugar ^^
Location: dexters furrybutt, NY
Posts: 16,621
Thanks: 787
Thanked 699 Times in 661 Posts
Question update on Dexters bloodtest...

some people on FB land might know what happened...but here;s the short version

Dexter has elevated T4; hyperthyroid. hyperT is rare in dogs...only a 1-2% of dogs can get it...and the vet even said if he does have it he'll have to call up a magazine to get him on it...as it'll be his 1st case that a chihuahua has it...esp. at such a young age. the vet is shocked at this...so hes calling back tomorrow after double checking with the labwork again tonight...

i hope this was a mixup/glitch...

here's the weight diff
january 15 2012 he was 9.13 lbs (does this round off to 9.1? or is it 9.13? this was a diff vet so im confused on how their measurements worked)
feb 7 2012 he was 9.8 lbs
november 2012 hes 9.2 lbs

does anyone else know a dog that has/had this?....he said its more common in cats...~ im so upset...please keep paws crossed for him to be ok...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-07-2012, 02:30 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Name: Missy
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,949
Thanks: 4
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonsheep View Post
some people on FB land might know what happened...but here;s the short version

Dexter has elevated T4; hyperthyroid. hyperT is rare in dogs...only a 1-2% of dogs can get it...and the vet even said if he does have it he'll have to call up a magazine to get him on it...as it'll be his 1st case that a chihuahua has it...esp. at such a young age. the vet is shocked at this...so hes calling back tomorrow after double checking with the labwork again tonight...

i hope this was a mixup/glitch...

here's the weight diff
january 15 2012 he was 9.13 lbs (does this round off to 9.1? or is it 9.13? this was a diff vet so im confused on how their measurements worked)
feb 7 2012 he was 9.8 lbs
november 2012 hes 9.2 lbs

does anyone else know a dog that has/had this?....he said its more common in cats...~ im so upset...please keep paws crossed for him to be ok...

I have seen a few dogs at work that have hyperthyroid. I believe they are all on a medication to help regulate the thyroid levels, I think it is either Soloxine or Methamizole. Most of the pets have a few blood tests to determine the correct dosage for the meds, it seems like it is tricky to get the dosing right.
__________________


Thanks LS!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2012, 03:48 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Name: aliases: Pidge, Paris, Sugar ^^
Location: dexters furrybutt, NY
Posts: 16,621
Thanks: 787
Thanked 699 Times in 661 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy_r View Post
I have seen a few dogs at work that have hyperthyroid. I believe they are all on a medication to help regulate the thyroid levels, I think it is either Soloxine or Methamizole. Most of the pets have a few blood tests to determine the correct dosage for the meds, it seems like it is tricky to get the dosing right.
thats one thing i didnt want happenin to him.////bein on medication and takin regulr bloodtests all his life...like an old human -.-
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2012, 05:20 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Name: Missy
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,949
Thanks: 4
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonsheep View Post
thats one thing i didnt want happenin to him.////bein on medication and takin regulr bloodtests all his life...like an old human -.-
I think it is just an initial set of tests to establish a dosage for meds, and then I think it is just monitoring from there. But I'm not a doctor so I don't know exactly, I am just speaking from what I have seen.
__________________


Thanks LS!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 PM
chi king/queen
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Name: Nichole
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 836
Thanks: 148
Thanked 67 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Poor Dexter and mommy! There seems to have be a few of us with sick babies. Sending healthy prayers!
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Name: Kathleen
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,002
Thanks: 662
Thanked 466 Times in 439 Posts
Default

Thinking of Dexter..keep us posted please....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2012, 02:48 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Name: Amy Jo
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,561
Thanks: 435
Thanked 698 Times in 648 Posts
Default

You and Dexter are in my thoughts! I hope they get it figured out quickly!!
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-08-2012, 02:56 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Name: aliases: Pidge, Paris, Sugar ^^
Location: dexters furrybutt, NY
Posts: 16,621
Thanks: 787
Thanked 699 Times in 661 Posts
Default

thanks everyone, still waitin to hear back...the harsh weather must have been effectin the vet so i'll wait to see if theres a call back tomaro even tho tomaro will be poop weather too
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum