With Thanksgiving approaching, I have to confess how thankful I am that Ruth saw that painful HBO documentary on the killing of unwanted dogs; how thankful I am that Beaufort County Animal Control transferred an unwanted dog to Hilton Head Humane (a no-kill shelter); how thankful I am that we went to HHHumane and adopted Simcha. As I type this, he is sleeping in Ruth's lap. I am especially thankful that:
- Simcha is so lively and lovable, and is my personal therapy dog when dark moods come upon me.
- He has no destructive behavior.
- He almost never acts out sexually. One minor exception: He really, really loves the gigantic beach towel we use as a blanket for him. "Really, really loves" means that he occasionally humps it, and must be distracted.
- Plays great games of Fetch and Tug of War with his toys.
- Only rarely licks his private parts; thankfully he can be distracted.
He will be travelling tomorrow with us to visit son, daughter-in-law, grandchildren and other in-laws in Charlotte. Hopefully, he will behave well and refrain from marking the living room carpet. We are bringing a couple of belly wraps. Happy Thanksgiving all!