Odie Got Banished - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chi chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Name: Krystal
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,530
Thanks: 834
Thanked 861 Times in 810 Posts
Default Odie Got Banished

Some of you may remember my post awhile ago about Odie waking me up in the middle of the night. Well, after that she stayed with my parents while we were out of town and when we brought her back home she started sleeping through the night, with access to water and a few pieces of kibble and it was amazing!

I don't know what changes, because her routine is always pretty much the same, but now she's back to waking up between 2 and 5 in the morning to go pee. We had to banish her to the living room, and last night was the first night that she spent sleeping on her own.

I feel terrible! I love cuddling up with her in bed, especially when I'm alone. I have to be honest and say that my feelings were a little hurt that she didn't care. Haha. She was cuddled up in a blanket on the couch when I went to bed, and I left her there, and she didn't even try to follow me upstairs. She was cuddled up on the other couch this morning, and was excited to see us. I'm really hoping that after a few nights of solo sleeping, maybe her schedule will "reset" itself and she can sleep with us again. Has anyone else experienced this?
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-24-2012, 11:52 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Name: Amy Jo
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,560
Thanks: 435
Thanked 697 Times in 647 Posts
Default

Jaxx has been waking up SUPER early lately. I got up this morning because he woke me up sitting on the floor beside the bed whining and I thought he wanted to go outside. I got dressed to take him out and "Surprise Surprise!" he didn't want to go outside and what he wanted to do was play.
This has been happening for about a week. I think tomorrow morning I am going to try ignoring him to see if I can get him out of the habit of waking up at 4 or 5 am.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 AM

chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,191
Thanks: 67
Thanked 754 Times in 721 Posts
Default

We had to do the same thing with our cat not long ago. Her internal "feed me" clock kept moving earlier and earlier.... Cries for food at 4:00 in the morning was just not working!


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 AM
chi addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Name: Jayme
Location: Pacific Northwest, US
Posts: 277
Thanks: 26
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I haven't had issues with this, but perhaps eliminating her access to water during the night would help with needing to go potty? Or would she wake you up for water when she didn't have access to it?
__________________


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Name: Krystal
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,530
Thanks: 834
Thanked 861 Times in 810 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by intent2smile View Post
Jaxx has been waking up SUPER early lately. I got up this morning because he woke me up sitting on the floor beside the bed whining and I thought he wanted to go outside. I got dressed to take him out and "Surprise Surprise!" he didn't want to go outside and what he wanted to do was play.
This has been happening for about a week. I think tomorrow morning I am going to try ignoring him to see if I can get him out of the habit of waking up at 4 or 5 am.
Haha what a little turkey! The good thing is that Odie genuinely wants to get up to pee, and then she wants right back in bed and will go back to sleep for hours. It's not that big of a deal because we have a patio off our bedroom and put a pee pad out there, so it's not like I have to get dressed to go outside but I have a hard time falling back asleep and never feel rested. Have you tried tiring him out before bed? I should probably take my own advice and try walking Odie late, but it starts getting dark here at 4:30 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
We had to do the same thing with our cat not long ago. Her internal "feed me" clock kept moving earlier and earlier.... Cries for food at 4:00 in the morning was just not working!


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Does she sleep with you again? Did "banishing" her work? I'm not a fan of waking up at 4 am either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaiteahuahua View Post
I haven't had issues with this, but perhaps eliminating her access to water during the night would help with needing to go potty? Or would she wake you up for water when she didn't have access to it?
I actually tried this the last time and it didn't seem to improve anything. I would try it again, but I know that she can sleep through the night when she has water. I'd rather she have access to water all the time anyway. She does whine if her normal water dish is empty too.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Name: Amy Jo
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,560
Thanks: 435
Thanked 697 Times in 647 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystalLeigh View Post
Haha what a little turkey! The good thing is that Odie genuinely wants to get up to pee, and then she wants right back in bed and will go back to sleep for hours. It's not that big of a deal because we have a patio off our bedroom and put a pee pad out there, so it's not like I have to get dressed to go outside but I have a hard time falling back asleep and never feel rested. Have you tried tiring him out before bed? I should probably take my own advice and try walking Odie late, but it starts getting dark here at 4:30 now.
He gets a long walk right before bed and usually tuckers out as soon as he comes back inside. I think part of Jaxx's issue is we have started letting him sleep in the living room lately instead of his crate in the past couple months. I think when he wakes up he thinks I should be up too. I am hoping that it is just a transition thing that he is testing to see if he can wake me up. He did the whining thing for a few nights when we first transitioned him to the living room and since this is new I think he is just testing to see what he can get away with.
I know exactly how you feel after I am awake I am usually awake or it takes me forever to get back to sleep. I am glad I never see any of our neighbors at 4 or 5 am when Jaxx wakes me and I take him out because usually I just put on a pair of sleep pants and hope I don't see anyone.
I hope Odie starts sleeping through the night.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-25-2012, 03:22 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Name: Ashley
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 5,776
Thanks: 331
Thanked 783 Times in 685 Posts
Default

Toby's been doing this the last few days. He's been sick, so I wake up to let him out of the room in case he has to poo. He has a pad in the bedroom, but refuses to use it. So I let him in the living room to go. But he just goes in the living room and runs around!


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-25-2012, 05:39 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Name: Krystal
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,530
Thanks: 834
Thanked 861 Times in 810 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by intent2smile View Post
He gets a long walk right before bed and usually tuckers out as soon as he comes back inside. I think part of Jaxx's issue is we have started letting him sleep in the living room lately instead of his crate in the past couple months. I think when he wakes up he thinks I should be up too. I am hoping that it is just a transition thing that he is testing to see if he can wake me up. He did the whining thing for a few nights when we first transitioned him to the living room and since this is new I think he is just testing to see what he can get away with.
I know exactly how you feel after I am awake I am usually awake or it takes me forever to get back to sleep. I am glad I never see any of our neighbors at 4 or 5 am when Jaxx wakes me and I take him out because usually I just put on a pair of sleep pants and hope I don't see anyone.
I hope Odie starts sleeping through the night.
Thanks! With Jaxx, I bet it is a transition thing. I think you're right and if you ignore him, he'll get right back on schedule. I'm hoping that Odie's banishment won't be permanent, but when she starts to sleep in our room again, I may try at least a quick walk if it's not too cold before bed to see if that makes a difference.

P.S. I took out my recycling today in pyjama pants with bears on them. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupluv168 View Post
Toby's been doing this the last few days. He's been sick, so I wake up to let him out of the room in case he has to poo. He has a pad in the bedroom, but refuses to use it. So I let him in the living room to go. But he just goes in the living room and runs around!


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
Aw, poor Toby. Can't believe he's not feeling well again. Looks like there's a few of us that don't get to experience the pleasure of uninterrupted sleep. It's funny because even though Ode wasn't sleeping with us, I still woke up in the middle of the night. She's messed up my schedule too!
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com