Our dog Lucky (who has since passed on) was a border collie black lab mix. He got into my daughter's school bag and got a lie a of gum. I had no idea about xylitol until then. We rushed him to the e-vet. Fifth two hours later after constant iv's and bloodwork he survived but another dog who was brought in and was smaller did not. It was awful. We never left the vet's office and we cried many tears for our Lucky we were so afraid, and then for the other poor dog and his family. There should be more warnings about xylitol. It is not just in gum either.