Sugarfree gum warning - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Health

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2007, 08:31 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,218
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Sugarfree gum warning

My vet came by yesterday to give Dolly her shots and she was very adamant that I get the word out about XYLITOL. It's a sugar substitute commonly used in gum, but also used for sugarfree baking, etc... She had a 75 pound lab die from eating one of his diabetic owner's muffins. She said it pretty much means death to any dogs, particularly chi's...and frankly, I had just bought some Orbit gum because my kids' dentist told me how great it was at preventing cavities. I could totally see Dolly finding some gum somewhere. It's out of here now and I found this article for you guys to read. Scary stuff!





Xylitol Poisoning!

submitted by Susan Thorpe-Vargas Ph.D



The Animal Poison Control Center has reported a substantial increase in the number of cases of Xylitol poisoning. Xylitol is a sweetener that is found in sugar-free gum, candy, baked goods, desserts, toothpaste, and other oral-care products. It can also be purchased as granulated powder for cooking and baking.



It can cause serious and sometimes life-threatening problems in dogs. In the October 1, 2006, issue of the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 8 adult dogs were evaluated for lethargy and vomiting after ingestion of Xylitol. Five of the 8 were either euthanized or died.


The Animal Poison Control Center managed more than 170 cases of Xylitol poisonings in 2005, up from approximately 70 in 2004. As of August, 2006, the poison control center had managed 114 cases in 2006. That may be due to the increased availability of Xylitol containing products or the increased awareness by the public and veterinarians.


While it was previously thought that only large concentrations of Xylitol could cause problems in dogs, lesser amounts of the sweetener may also be harmful.


Our concern used to be mainly with products that contain xylitol as one of the first ingredients, said Dr. Eric Dunayer, who specializes in toxicology at the center. However we have begun to see problems developing from ingestions of products with lesser amounts of this sweetener. He said that with smaller concentrations of Xylitol, the onset of clinical signs could be delayed as much as 12 hours after ingestion.


Dogs that ingest substantial amounts of items sweetened with Xylitol can develop a sudden drop in blood sugar resulting in depression, loss of coordination, and seizures. These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product. Therefore, it is crucial that pet owners seek veterinary treatment immediately after ingestion or suspected ingestion of products containing Xylitol. The poison control center also reported that there appears to be strong link between Xylitol ingestions and the development of liver failure in dogs.

Credit to: Dr. Vern Otte, DVM, State Line Animal Hospital, Leawood, KS and the Journal of the American Veterinary Association, October 2006.


A Special Thank you to Dr. Susan Thorpe-Vargas Docvite@aol.com for submitting this information to help promote the health and care of all our animals.

Dr. Susan Thorpe-Vargas shares her life with two Samoyed dogs, Max and Chloe, and rescue Siamese kitty, Sidney. Scientific citations that support this article can be found at SMDI.org
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dolly'sgrandma For This Useful Post:
CuddlesMom (03-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-30-2007, 08:39 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Omg thank you for posting this!
Carl found a piece of gum on a walk once and started chewing it. I couldn't get it away from him.
Next time I'll be more careful!
__________________

*siggy by the talented Jen*
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Jen Jen is offline
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Name: Jen
Location: CA
Posts: 11,144
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 1 Post
Default

wow, thanks for posting that
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-30-2007, 09:04 PM
chi king/queen
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 872
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

lucky loves to lick my gum haha we're gross i know. but now i won't let him.
__________________


LaLa www.dogster.com/?236032
Lucky www.dogster.com/?236037
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-2007, 09:19 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,218
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

It's true... Dolly would SO grab gum if she saw it. That's why my vet said not to even bring it in the house...dogs get it out of the trash. And it's basically death...there isn't much they can do.

I am going to check ingredients like crazy. I won't have naprox in the house after reading here how someone's baby died after getting that, and it's less likely that my dog would get a pill than a piece of gum (or a sugarfree baked good...how scary!). My vet said to pass the news, so tell your friends!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2007, 09:59 PM
chi king/queen
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 877
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

OMG Thanks for posting this!
I always prefer sugar free chewing gum. I found one one the floor, about a week ago, and imediately picked it up, because I didn't want Jinxy to find it. I did not know that it could kill though. I'm glad I found it before Jinxy did. It's really scary.
I wonder if it's best to make this thread sticky?
__________________


-Kat-
Jinxy sends kisses!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2007, 10:14 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,218
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Maybe we should, because according to my vet, it's pretty much certain to kill a chi. And this article mentioned five out of eight dogs dying. And we all either chew it, or know someone who does. Plus, it can be hidden in "sugarfree or diabetic" baked goods. Scary! Anything that can kill, we need to know about.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 PM
chi king/queen
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 877
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I totally agree with you.
__________________


-Kat-
Jinxy sends kisses!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:47 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum