Does anyone have any idea what this might be? We are working with the vet. Actually, we are on our second vet. Still no clear answer.
The important stuff:
- It started as a tiny pinhead, that swelled a little within an hour and plateaued. It looked like a meibomian cyst.
- BECAUSE it looked like a meibomian cyst, I did warm compress. I did not treat it like an infection, thus I spread the infection to what you see here.
- It is NOT itchy. At all.
- It seemed to worsen with topical steroid use.
- A scraping did not show demodex mites.
- It seems to be improving with antibiotic use in terms of discharge, but the swelling isn't going down.
- There are no other symptoms whatsoever. No other infected areas. No lethargy, loss of appetite, lameness, etc. Nothing.
This photo is from BEFORE we began treatment:
This photo is from AFTER 2-3 days of topical steroid use (which has stopped) and it is about what it looks like today:
Any ideas? Anything at all we haven't considered helps. As it stands, it is looking like we will continue the antibiotics for secondary infection, and possibly start Ivermectin for the mites we cannot find in scrapings. We don't know what else to consider.