Possible Liver Shunt?????? - Page 2 - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Health

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #9  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 PM
chi prince/princess
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Name: Aly
Posts: 777
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodysmom View Post
I would NOT get any further vaccines at this time. You don't want to tax her liver any further than it already is! Just say NO!

In the meantime, I would definitely go for a second opinion. Get a copy of the labwork and get referrals to a good diagnostician and get her seen. That's what I would do if she were mine. No way I'd just wait a month. I'd also start supplements (milk thistle, etc.) and get her on a low protein diet.

Do you have her liver enzyme numbers? Just how elevated are they?
I was questioning that also. My mom's best friend is actually a very well known vet in our area who I trust a lot, so I'm thinking I will take her to him for a visit this weekend. I want to find out what's wrong and treat her, not just wait around. I've been looking up info about low protein diets and am trying to figure out what type to feed. I still want to give a high quality food....any suggestions? I read that many people opt for canned food. They did not give me numbers, just said that it was elevated a bit. I am going to call now and request paperwork.
__________________


Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #10  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,356
Thanks: 156
Thanked 181 Times in 159 Posts
Default

You've been given some good advice about no more vaccines for now and getting a second opinion, I would absolutely go that route myself.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Name: Kathleen
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,002
Thanks: 662
Thanked 466 Times in 439 Posts
Default

Zari had an elevated ALT in her pre-op spay blood work also...since she was already fasting they went ahead with the acid bile test ....which turned out to be within normal limits......they had her back in q 6 months for Alts and she has never had any abnormalities since...her spay was then completed about 3 weeks ( I think ) later.
As for having the vaccines done, I would also wait...Izzy had a bad reaction to Profopol last month and they would not give her the rabies vaccine for a few weeks following that to allow her immune system to recover....best to always weigh on the side of caution in my opinion

Last edited by nabi; 01-17-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum