Possible Liver Shunt?????? - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Health

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 PM
proudpeyotemama's Avatar
chi prince/princess
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Name: Aly
Posts: 773
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default Possible Liver Shunt??????

I took Ote to the vet yesterday for her yearly vaccinations. I want to get her spayed so I had them take bloodwork also - which they did not suggest, surprisingly. Well good thing I insisted on getting bloodwork done...turns out Ote has a possible liver shunt as her enzymes were a bit elevated. Everything seems normal, she's acting like herself, eating well (now that I found a food that she likes!) She goes back in a month for a more extensive blood test to tell if it is in fact a shunt, and if so, what type it is. My question is - if she does have a shunt does this mean she can't be spayed? Will it decrease her life span? Is there a special diet she should be on? Any experiences, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Ote is my baby, I'm very worried.



On the bright side, her luxating patellas have gotten a bit better (possibly from supplements?) and she is 4.4lbs.
__________________


Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM
LostLakeLua's Avatar
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Name: Kat
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,095
Thanks: 467
Thanked 165 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Oh no, poor Ote!! =( Glad to hear she's acting normally!! I don't know much about liver shunts personally; but I had bookmarked this thread over a year ago because it seemed to have some great advice; hopefully it'll help answer some of your questions.

Liver shunt/Microvascular Dysplasia

Best wishes to you and Ote!!
__________________
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

facebook.com/rescutopia
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Huly's Avatar
Administrator

chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Name: Christie
Location: Leesburg VA
Posts: 7,772
Thanks: 548
Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,170 Posts
Default

Here are a few things I found online:

Dog Liver Shunt - Liver Shunt in Dogs

Dog Liver Health - Natural Remedies | Use Herbs and Supplements to Promote and Support Liver Health in Dogs
__________________

Thank you Jan896
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 PM
pigeonsheep's Avatar
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Name: aliases: Pidge, Paris, Sugar ^^
Location: dexters furrybutt, NY
Posts: 16,419
Thanks: 671
Thanked 669 Times in 633 Posts
Default

I have a buddy whose chi has micro shunt , not sure if its the same but she puts her pup on a diet plan on low protein food. Poor thing needs another test in a month or so her pup wears xs clothes and is an adult
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Brodysmom's Avatar
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Name: Tracy
Location: Wichita, KS for 26 years... just moved to UTAH!
Posts: 14,438
Thanks: 412
Thanked 410 Times in 295 Posts
Default

I would hold off on the spaying because of the risks of anesthesia and further investigate the liver enzyme issue. Ask for a bile acid test. Your vet will know what it is. That will give you a much better look at what you are dealing with and how severe it is.

In the meantime, do some reading on diets for liver compromised dogs. Here's a good link:

DogAware.com Health: Liver Disease in Dogs

Did your vet put her on lactulose? What did your vet recommend? I would NOT wait a month for further testing. I'd want the bile acid test done right away.
__________________

"Having heard all of this, you may choose to look the other way.....
but you can never say again that you did not know." William Wilberforce 1759-1833
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM
proudpeyotemama's Avatar
chi prince/princess
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Name: Aly
Posts: 773
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodysmom View Post
I would hold off on the spaying because of the risks of anesthesia and further investigate the liver enzyme issue. Ask for a bile acid test. Your vet will know what it is. That will give you a much better look at what you are dealing with and how severe it is.

In the meantime, do some reading on diets for liver compromised dogs. Here's a good link:

DogAware.com Health: Liver Disease in Dogs

Did your vet put her on lactulose? What did your vet recommend? I would NOT wait a month for further testing. I'd want the bile acid test done right away.
I'm definitely holding off on the spay. Especially after all the research I've been doing. The bile acid test is what the vet wanted her to get next month. We go back in a week for another vaccine and I asked if we could do the test then and the vet was totally against it. She is very persistent that we wait a month, which is annoying to me. I was to gauge the severity of the situation a.s.a.p. and get Ote o the road to recovery/treatment...and verify that is even the problem! I asked if there were any precautions I should take in the meantime until further testing is done, such as diet changes or medication, and the vet said if she has been acting normal then no. Ugh. I am so frustrated. I feel like I am being more proactive than the vet everytime I take Ote for a visit.
__________________


Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Brodysmom's Avatar
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Name: Tracy
Location: Wichita, KS for 26 years... just moved to UTAH!
Posts: 14,438
Thanks: 412
Thanked 410 Times in 295 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudpeyotemama View Post
I'm definitely holding off on the spay. Especially after all the research I've been doing. The bile acid test is what the vet wanted her to get next month. We go back in a week for another vaccine and I asked if we could do the test then and the vet was totally against it. She is very persistent that we wait a month, which is annoying to me. I was to gauge the severity of the situation a.s.a.p. and get Ote o the road to recovery/treatment...and verify that is even the problem! I asked if there were any precautions I should take in the meantime until further testing is done, such as diet changes or medication, and the vet said if she has been acting normal then no. Ugh. I am so frustrated. I feel like I am being more proactive than the vet everytime I take Ote for a visit.
I would NOT get any further vaccines at this time. You don't want to tax her liver any further than it already is! Just say NO!

In the meantime, I would definitely go for a second opinion. Get a copy of the labwork and get referrals to a good diagnostician and get her seen. That's what I would do if she were mine. No way I'd just wait a month. I'd also start supplements (milk thistle, etc.) and get her on a low protein diet.

Do you have her liver enzyme numbers? Just how elevated are they?
__________________

"Having heard all of this, you may choose to look the other way.....
but you can never say again that you did not know." William Wilberforce 1759-1833
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brodysmom For This Useful Post:
KayC (01-21-2013)
  #8  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
pupluv168's Avatar
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Name: Ashley
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 5,776
Thanks: 331
Thanked 783 Times in 685 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodysmom View Post
I would NOT get any further vaccines at this time. You don't want to tax her liver any further than it already is! Just say NO!

In the meantime, I would definitely go for a second opinion. Get a copy of the labwork and get referrals to a good diagnostician and get her seen. That's what I would do if she were mine. No way I'd just wait a month. I'd also start supplements (milk thistle, etc.) and get her on a low protein diet.

Do you have her liver enzyme numbers? Just how elevated are they?
I agree with this 100%. I wouldn't do anything else- especially vaccines- until a diagnosis is confirmed by a second opinion. Did the vet give you a reason why she wanted to wait a month? I would think that the sooner Ote is diagnosed and treated the better.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com