Honey's spay in a couple of weeks! - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-19-2012, 03:49 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Rachel
Location: Shropshire, England
Posts: 1,967
Thanks: 102
Thanked 297 Times in 281 Posts
Question Honey's spay in a couple of weeks!

Hi ladies,

Well, Honey has her spay on the 4th January, she will be just shy of 13 months. I'm so nervous! But i know, she will be fine...

My plan is below, if anyone has any tips for making it go more smoothly i am all ears! Thanks in advance.


Friday - take her in at 9am, no food etc, she will be in her crate - her vet suggested this because of her fears, they can take off the top if she refuses to come out though! She will have her favourite blankie and ted, along with the inflatable collar to be put on as soon as she is out of surgery, again recommended by the vet. Hopefully they will call me around 4ish to go and get her. Take her home, if she seems sleepy, put her straight in her crate, so she can sleep and rest. Offer food and water, just a small amount. Take her outside on leash to see if she will pee/poo.

Saturday and Sunday - take her out for pee/poo on leash, take her in and offer food/water, put her back in her crate. Offer pain meds if needed. If she seems ok and wants to be up and moving about, i will put her in her playpen where she will have more room.

Monday/Tuesday - i have to work for 3 hours in the AM, so i will leave at 8.30 after taking Honey outside, and giving her food and water. I will crate her for those 3 hours. When im back, i would imagine it will be the same as Sat and Sun, along with trying to keep her still and def no jumping. I may leash her to me, so she cant run off and jump!


Notes - i have baby food (no onions etc) in case she doesnt eat at all, i also have Dioralyte and a syringe in case she doesnt drink.


Questions i have;

What do i do on the day she comes home if she doesnt seem sleepy?
How long do i need to keep her inflatable collar on for?
If she gets agitated being in her crate/playpen, what do i do? Ignore her or have her sit with me and dont let her move?
When can we go on walks again? I know not to exert her at first, just short walks.
__________________


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-23-2012, 08:44 PM
honorary chi
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Name: Lianne
Location: Preston, Lancs, UK
Posts: 591
Thanks: 54
Thanked 44 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Sounds like you are very organised!

When Max had his op they had to go inside as he had an undescended testicle. As soon as we got him home he was his normal self and it was really hard to try and stop him jumping up on the sofa etc. We barricaded it with chairs at first but in the end we gave up trying to stop him and just hoped that he didn't do any damage, which luckily he didn't!

I can't remember exactly how long we waited before taking him out for walks, just a few days I think. I can't really help with the other questions, sorry!

One thing I will mention though is that I'm sure Max's aggressive behaviour towards people / dogs got worse after his op and I feel like the experience at the vets could have contributed to this. When we picked him up he was really scared and I think the fact he had a blood test before the op to check his liver readings etc for the anaesthetic made the whole thing more stressful for him. He might have to go back at some point to have some teeth out and the vet said that if he does then if we want them to they can come out to the car and give him the injection to knock him out there to make it less stressful. I wish I had known this was a option previously and think we'd definitely ask to be with him next time. Just thought it was worth mentioning knowing how similar Honey is to Max! Hope it all goes ok xx
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2012, 12:11 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Name: Lisa
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,085
Thanks: 168
Thanked 375 Times in 348 Posts
Default

My chi didn't come home wearing a collar, but a think they gave me one in case she needed it. I wouldn't make her wear it unless she tries to lick the wound. Chances are she'll do a lot of sleeping & very little of everything else including going to the bathroom & eating. She will want a quiet place to sleep. She might act strange because the anesthesia stays in their system for a while after surgery. The day after the surgery, she should be a little more active, but might feel the soreness. Will be thinking of you & Honey.
__________________



[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Evelyn's Avatar

chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Name: Evelyn
Location: FLorida : from South Jersey
Posts: 2,899
Thanks: 352
Thanked 603 Times in 585 Posts
Default

I have had 2 females spayed and by day 2 they were back to theirselves, one of them yelped one time because she jumped up on the couch. Neither of them bothered their stiches except to lick them. I took my pointer finger and lightly went around the wound and they loved that, put them to sleep. She will be fine, she will feel better then you will, I was wreck, the dogs did fine.
__________________

Ike born 8/15/12
Holly born 8/2/13
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Rachel
Location: Shropshire, England
Posts: 1,967
Thanks: 102
Thanked 297 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpernickel View Post
Sounds like you are very organised!

When Max had his op they had to go inside as he had an undescended testicle. As soon as we got him home he was his normal self and it was really hard to try and stop him jumping up on the sofa etc. We barricaded it with chairs at first but in the end we gave up trying to stop him and just hoped that he didn't do any damage, which luckily he didn't!

I can't remember exactly how long we waited before taking him out for walks, just a few days I think. I can't really help with the other questions, sorry!

One thing I will mention though is that I'm sure Max's aggressive behaviour towards people / dogs got worse after his op and I feel like the experience at the vets could have contributed to this. When we picked him up he was really scared and I think the fact he had a blood test before the op to check his liver readings etc for the anaesthetic made the whole thing more stressful for him. He might have to go back at some point to have some teeth out and the vet said that if he does then if we want them to they can come out to the car and give him the injection to knock him out there to make it less stressful. I wish I had known this was a option previously and think we'd definitely ask to be with him next time. Just thought it was worth mentioning knowing how similar Honey is to Max! Hope it all goes ok xx
Thanks for the reply Lianne. Honeys been using a little step recently to get up on the sofa (laziness i think as she can jump perfectly well!), so id be happy with her using that if she wanted to.

Oh god thats just what i didnt want to hear! I kind of know already this is going to set her back in relation to strangers/dogs - it certainly isnt going to help is it

Poor Max, little guy i didnt know that was possible either, im not sure if it would help Honey or not, to have me with her. I think i will ring my Vet next week to chat again! Thankyou xx
__________________


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-24-2012, 12:58 PM
honorary chi
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Name: Lianne
Location: Preston, Lancs, UK
Posts: 591
Thanks: 54
Thanked 44 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach_Hudson View Post
Thanks for the reply Lianne. Honeys been using a little step recently to get up on the sofa (laziness i think as she can jump perfectly well!), so id be happy with her using that if she wanted to.

Oh god thats just what i didnt want to hear! I kind of know already this is going to set her back in relation to strangers/dogs - it certainly isnt going to help is it

Poor Max, little guy i didnt know that was possible either, im not sure if it would help Honey or not, to have me with her. I think i will ring my Vet next week to chat again! Thankyou xx
That's good that she has a step to use!

Yeah, if I had known I would have asked to be there with him when he had the injection / they took the blood but I didn't think they would allow it so didn't even ask. We had only had him about a month at the time too and I never really thought about how the experience could affect him. It's defo worth speaking to your vet again to see what they can do to help.

I suppose you won't know how she will be after the op until the time. Sounds like a a lot of dogs are a bit groggy afterwards but if Honey is anything like Max she will be full of beans and wanting to play!

I also forgot to mention, Max had a cone on his head for 10 days after the op. It seemed like a long time but it didn't bother him. We didn't want to risk him pulling his stitches. xx
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-24-2012, 01:15 PM
chi lover
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Name: Erica
Location: Maryland
Posts: 105
Thanks: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

When I had Luna spayed i drop her off really early because they had to blood work before the surgery. I picked her up at 4:30 and she was really groggy. I think they had sedated her. I had set up for her a playpen so that she could rest. She did have a little bit of food and water and slep again. Luna had a cone for 10 days and It didn't really bother her at all. They only problem I had was that Luna couldn't go poopoo because it was really painful. I took her back and they gave me to give her some laxatives. Other than she was back to her normal self within 2 days.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-24-2012, 03:51 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Rachel
Location: Shropshire, England
Posts: 1,967
Thanks: 102
Thanked 297 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodard2009 View Post
My chi didn't come home wearing a collar, but a think they gave me one in case she needed it. I wouldn't make her wear it unless she tries to lick the wound. Chances are she'll do a lot of sleeping & very little of everything else including going to the bathroom & eating. She will want a quiet place to sleep. She might act strange because the anesthesia stays in their system for a while after surgery. The day after the surgery, she should be a little more active, but might feel the soreness. Will be thinking of you & Honey.
Honey is a nibbler lol, when she has had irritations in the past she has non stop nibbled and tried to get at things, so i think the collar is the best idea for her. My vet has said she will put it on before she comes around, so she wont know any different from when she wakes up. Thankyou for the reply, i will set up her crate in the lounge so she can just sleep. x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn View Post
I have had 2 females spayed and by day 2 they were back to theirselves, one of them yelped one time because she jumped up on the couch. Neither of them bothered their stiches except to lick them. I took my pointer finger and lightly went around the wound and they loved that, put them to sleep. She will be fine, she will feel better then you will, I was wreck, the dogs did fine.
I can imagine i will definately be more worried than her lol!
__________________


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:30 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com