UK - Annual Booster Vaccinations - Page 3 - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #17  
Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 PM
honorary chi
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 509
Thanks: 43
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Vaccinations, worming, all very confusing! I need to do more research personally on the matter, but at the moment I'm probably going to get the 1st boosters then thats it.
Human's don't get yearly boosters for vaccines, so I don't understand why pets do? surely when you're immune, you're immune.

I sometimes wonder if the colitis problems I had with noah when younger was due to all the vaccinations and wormers being pumped into him at the time.
He also had a slight reaction to his 2nd jab and he has been recently sick on his drontal worming ( he won't be having that wormer again) so recently I've been looking into natural alternatives and what's really necessary in more depth.

I'm not sure I quite understand this titre testing, I keep hearing inflicting opinions about it, how results don't really determine if they're actually immune or not, as immunity is based on memory cells not the antibodies which is what being measured within the tests.
I'm not sure any vets within my area would even do titre's tbh, but then again I don't like my vet at all, I'm rather afraid to mention anything which may be slightly "alternative"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #18  
Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Zorana1125's Avatar

chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,248
Thanks: 501
Thanked 824 Times in 750 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartagram View Post
Vaccinations, worming, all very confusing! I need to do more research personally on the matter, but at the moment I'm probably going to get the 1st boosters then thats it.
Human's don't get yearly boosters for vaccines, so I don't understand why pets do? surely when you're immune, you're immune.

I sometimes wonder if the colitis problems I had with noah when younger was due to all the vaccinations and wormers being pumped into him at the time.
He also had a slight reaction to his 2nd jab and he has been recently sick on his drontal worming ( he won't be having that wormer again) so recently I've been looking into natural alternatives and what's really necessary in more depth.

I'm not sure I quite understand this titre testing, I keep hearing inflicting opinions about it, how results don't really determine if they're actually immune or not, as immunity is based on memory cells not the antibodies which is what being measured within the tests.
I'm not sure any vets within my area would even do titre's tbh, but then again I don't like my vet at all, I'm rather afraid to mention anything which may be slightly "alternative"
Memory cells are just that, they memorize things such as antibodies so once they have been exposed to the antibodies, they will remember the bug when they see it. That why once you have a positive titer, you don't revaccinate to get a stronger titer, the memory cells will work to recall it right away.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-30-2012, 10:19 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Rachel
Location: Shropshire, England
Posts: 1,967
Thanks: 102
Thanked 297 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Zorana, I'm confused by that. Could you put it in laymans (in my case, dumb blondes) terms? X


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
__________________


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Zorana1125's Avatar

chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,248
Thanks: 501
Thanked 824 Times in 750 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach_Hudson View Post
Zorana, I'm confused by that. Could you put it in laymans (in my case, dumb blondes) terms? X


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lol, I went to a vaccine seminar and took immunology in college. It's really complex (confuses me too so i have to get my books out sometimes) but basically we have memory cells in our bodies that remember things forever. When you get a vaccine, you become immune to the disease by getting a small amount of the disease or a modified version of it so when our bodies come in contact with it, it fights it off before you get sick.
So as babies, we get all these shots, but we may not come in contact with these bugs for many many years, it's because of these memory cells we have that we do not get sick. They remember and recall the antibodies formed a long time ago and can prevent/attack the disease. I just pulled out scared poopless and dr dodds says "once we have immunity our bodies will always remember how to attack the disease," she says this in response to a question about low titers (if a titer is low, should u revaccinate and she says no).
I'm sorry if this is even more confusing!


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Zorana1125's Avatar

chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,248
Thanks: 501
Thanked 824 Times in 750 Posts
Default

Here is a good info page on vaccines and titers, there is also a video clip from Dr. Karen Becker, a holistic vet I took Gino too as a last resort. She is known world wide as one of the very best. Let me know what you think!
Titer Testing: A Crash Course | Truth4Pets
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 PM
honorary chi
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 509
Thanks: 43
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorana1125 View Post
Memory cells are just that, they memorize things such as antibodies so once they have been exposed to the antibodies, they will remember the bug when they see it. That why once you have a positive titer, you don't revaccinate to get a stronger titer, the memory cells will work to recall it right away.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
I know but what I'm confused about, well what I read is that the memory cells can't be measured thus no real way of knowing the true immunity.

Quote _____________
ntibodies not a measure of immunity:
A "titer" is a measurement of how much antibody to a certain virus (or other antigen) is circulating in the blood at that moment. Titers are usually expressed in a ratio, which is how many times they could dilute the blood until they couldn't find antibodies anymore. So let's say they could dilute it two times only and then they didn't find anymore, that would be a titer of 1:2. If they could dilute it a thousand times before they couldn't find any antibody, then that would be a titer of 1:1000. A titer test does not and cannot measure immunity, because immunity to specific viruses is reliant not on antibodies, but on memory cells, which we have no way to measure. Memory cells are what prompt the immune system to create antibodies and dispatch them to an infection caused by the virus it "remembers." Memory cells don't need "reminders" in the form of re-vaccination to keep producing antibodies. (Science, 1999; "Immune system's memory does not need reminders.") ACCESS to JUSTICE. MMR10 - IN EUROPE.
___________________________________________

so how do you understand what your dog is protected against exactly? or what you should vaccinate against?

fyi, posting this before I've read the link, sorry if it explains it in there.

Last edited by heartagram; 12-30-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Zorana1125's Avatar

chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,248
Thanks: 501
Thanked 824 Times in 750 Posts
Default

I don't think we would need to measure memory cells bc as long as there are antibodies, there will be memory cells to recognize them at any point in time. Does that make sense? That reference is confusing me too, lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:28 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com