Saturday afternoon I found a pit bull in my backyard looking at Chip...I leashed him and took him into my garage because the grandparents were out of town. I tried all day to find him a foster home...called every pit bull rescue in Indy, called the rescue I volunteer for, called my vet, called friends, etc. I only found ONE woman willing to foster and she led me to believe she would be picking him up tonight...and then this morning she told me I needed to take him to the shelter and she would try and get him in four days.
The issue is he won't have four days once he's taken there...the shelters aren't pit-friendly. I am in a lot of trouble for having him in the garage...my boyfriend's grandpa is giving me the cold shoulder and pretty much proving that maturity and age are not related at all.
I have to have him gone tonight...my vet offered to let him stay IF I paid for an exam and the shots needed (rabies + DHPP + bordatella), but that equals about 150$ and I don't have that to spend on him right now. Even then, he could ONLY stay for one night...I got in trouble at work 3 times today for being on the phone because I was calling so many people. I put up ads on Craigslist asking for fosters and have e-mailed a random rescue that put up an ad saying they had spaces available for small breeds BEGGING them to keep him for just four days...I offered to pay for gas, food, toys, bedding, etc., whatever they need, and that if they can wait for the half-price wellness clinic on Wednesday, I would pay for his vet bills...the other forum I'm on said "well you're just assuming your grandparents won't let you keep him" and yes I did, but I only got to keep him overnight because I swore he'd be out tonight...at this point if he's not out I think I'm going to have to pack up my clothes for work tomorrow and take the pit and spend the night in my mom's driveway...she can't keep him at her house either and I don't have an extra crate.
ANYWAY, someone did e-mail me saying "hi very interested need a good dog please call me" with their number and against my better judgment, I called him...every piece of intuition in my body is screaming don't let him go to some random couple off Craigslist...so should I let him go to these people or pack him in my car and stay in my mom's driveway?
Mitch (boyfriend) keeps telling me to call back the supposed foster mom again but I am so furious with her I don't know what will happen...I mean #1 what sort of rescue tells you to take the animal to the shelter and says they'll go get him in 4 days and #2, she told us earlier she wasn't able to help outside of providing a crate and I'd have to come get it because she was "too busy", which is her other reason for not taking him.
I am emotionally exhausted and have been crying all day...I feel like I am failing this dog and am terrified he will go to another bad home. I am not interested in keeping him but I REALLY need a foster...I have 3 1/2 hours left.