Chihuahua People Forum banner

Are you considering a raw diet?

168K views 767 replies 102 participants last post by  jenniferny 
#1 ·
If you are considering raw feeding, good for you! It is truly the best thing you can feed your dog. Dogs are carnivores, they thrive on fresh meat, bones, and organs. It is what they are meant to eat. It is species appropriate.

There are a couple trains of thought on raw feeding. Some people feed BARF, which stands for bones and raw foods. It is based on a combination of a slurry of vegetables and supplements, with raw meaty bones added in such as chicken necks, wings, and backs. This method has fallen out of favor as more research is done into species appropriate raw diets. Dogs don’t need or process fruits and vegetables well unless they are broken down into a paste. The veggies just pass on through without digesting, unless you break down the cellulose. So if you choose to do a BARF model, make sure you do lots of reading on what supplements are needed and make sure that the vegetables you use are pulverized.

Prey model diet is a very balanced and, in my opinion, an easier way to do a raw diet than BARF. The veggies aren’t needed at all. The diet consists of 80% meat, 10% bone (always raw, never ever cooked), and 10% organs. Of those organs, 5% must be liver and the other 5% is a secreting organ such as kidney, pancreas, reproductive organs, thymus, etc. Heart and gizzards count as muscle meats. You start off feeding 2-3% of your dogs weight. Here’s a calculator that shows you how much to feed per day…

http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

You may be surprised to see that a 5 pound dog only needs 1-2 ounces of food a day! That is because the raw diet is completely bio-available. NO fillers, no dyes, no grains, no extras. Just meat and a little bone and your dog processes it completely. One of the first things you will notice on a raw diet is that your dog drinks less water, (raw meat has a very high water content) and has very small bowel movements. There is a huge difference between the stools of a kibble fed dog and a raw fed one.

It’s very important to start off SLOW when you ease into raw. You must stay with chicken only for the first few weeks. Dump the kibble first. Get it out of the house. Kibble is like doggy drugs… it has a spray coating of flavor/fat and has a lot of odor that entices dogs to eat it. If your dog knows there is kibble in the house, they may not want to transition to raw as readily. Raw has little to no odor, so some dogs don’t recognize it as food until they really taste it and see how good it is.

Chicken is a great place to start. You want to feed mostly meat with a little bone when beginning a dog on raw so start with Cornish hens or bone-in chicken breasts. Some people start off with bone-in chicken thighs, especially if you have a dog that tends to have loose stools. The extra bone content in the thigh helps to keep the stools firm during this transition time. Chicken is a protein that is easily digested, readily available, and not expensive. A great starter meat. Be sure and get UNENHANCED chicken. Lots of chicken has "broth" or a salt solution pumped into it to make the chicken more tender. If it says enhanced with a 10% solution, skip it. You want just plain old chicken. Read the label. You want the sodium level to be about 80mg for a 4 ounce portion.

Your dog may experience a “detox” period as they come off of the kibble. You may notice more shedding, loose stools, itching, or even vomiting in rare cases. These issues will pass as the dogs body adjusts to a raw diet. Then you will see the benefits of raw start to show up! Little to no body odor, small compact stools, bright shiny coat that hardly sheds, more muscle tone and increased energy. The benefits of teeth cleaning are widely documented. Most raw dogs never need to have a dental. Immune system health will improve as well and dogs that had allergies or sensitive stomachs will experience huge benefits. There have even been studies that show that raw fed dogs are more resistant to parasites, as well as some cancers.

Once your dog is well established on chicken (usually 1-2 weeks) and you are seeing normal compact stools, you can start adding in other proteins. Your dog can eat beef, pork, chicken, cornish hens, quail, duck, turkey, goat, lamb, sheep, deer, elk, rabbit, eggs, fish, etc. Start slow by adding in a very small amount of the new protein to the chicken until the dog is adjusted. Then you can move on to new proteins. Over several months, your dog should be exposed to as many proteins as you can find. Variety is key and helps to provide all the nutrients your dog needs. Once your raw feeding regimen is established, your dog should be eating at least 50% red meat.

At this point, organs can be added in. You will feed 5% of the diet in liver (chicken, pork, beef, or calf) and 5% other organ. Beef kidney is readily available in most markets. Organs are a very small – but very IMPORTANT – part of the diet. They provide nutrients that aren’t found in muscle meats and must be part of the diet. Not a large part, only 10% overall, but they must be included.

For small dogs, I have found that cornish hens are a great base food. The bones are small and easy to chew, and they are the right size for little mouths. Lamb breast also has good edible bone, as does rabbit, quail, and pork ribs. A whole cornish hen is about 35% bone. So you will want to alternate Cornish hen parts that have bone, with boneless meals in order to keep the total bone at 10% of the diet.

Where does pre-made frozen raw fit in? These are products that are already “balanced” for you with the meat/bones/organs in a ground form. Some popular brands you may run across are Nature’s Variety, Stella and Chewy’s, Bravo, or Primal. These products are very easy to use. Pop out a patty or a medallion from your bag in the freezer, thaw it out and feed it to your dog. Many people like these pre-mades for convenience. However, they don’t give your dog the mental and physical work of whole prey. Your dog NEEDS the stimulation of chewing and crunching up a piece of meat. In my opinion, pre-mades are fine for occasional use or to add variety, but I wouldn’t use them full time. They are convenient to have on hand for emergencies, boarding situation, or pet sitters. They also come in handy for puppies who are having trouble chewing or seniors.

Part of raw feeding is really getting to know your dog. Some dogs do better on a little more than 10% of their diet as bone. Some do fine with less. Try to keep the ratios at 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ with 5% being liver. You can weigh it out at first if you want to, but let the dog’s body condition be your guide. If the dog looks a little ribby and thin, increase the raw from 2% of his body weight to 3% or even 4%, depending on the dogs activity level, age, and metabolism. Puppies should eat up to 10% of their body weight, so adjust accordingly if you are feeding a baby. If your dogs stools get loose, add more bone. If your dog is straining to defecate or his stools are white and crumbly, back off on the bone.

I have found that keeping the mindset of mostly meat, a little bone, and a smidge of organ works well. You don’t have to balance the meals every day. That’s a lot of work! Try to aim for balance over time. Keep a journal of what you are feeding at first so that you can look over the menu and see where you might be lacking. Balance over several weeks is good. I do organs as a single meal on the weekend. It’s easy for me to remember and Brody doesn’t have a problem with loose stools. Some people prefer to add a tiny smidge of organs every day or a couple times a week. Be creative and find what works for you.

I will add a caution here to new raw feeders. You MUST feed bones and organs along with the meat in order for this diet to be safe and nutritionally balanced. If you aren’t committed to doing this, then stay with a high quality, grain free canned food and add in some raw meaty bones for dental health. I’ve covered the bases, but there are many good resources to learn more on the raw diet. Here’s a few links to get you started.

This one is a great place to start and you can spend a lot of time going through the many pages here. The "myths of raw feeding" pages are invaluable and answers most, if not all, the questions a newbie to raw will have. Invaluable site!

http://rawfed.com/myths/feedraw.html

http://rawfed.com/myths/

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

The raw feeders yahoo group is a great place to learn also. There are over 16,000 raw feeders on the list from all over the world.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

Another site I like that has a lot of good history, anatomy of the dog and why it's made to eat raw, and lots of good links on the link page ....

http://rawfeddogs.net/

A raw feeders blog with lots of interesting info …

http://www.krisannriorawfeeding.com/

More info and lots of links!

http://mypetcarnivore.com/rawfeeding_basics.htm

Anatomy and physiology of the dog versus the wolf and the debate on whether dogs are omnivores or carnivores.

http://aspenbloompetcare.com/2009/07/dogs-the-omnivore-carnivore-controversy.htm

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There are lots of raw feeders here and we are more than willing to help! Do a little research and off you go. You won’t regret it and your dog will thank you! Once you see the difference that a raw diet makes, your only regret will be not doing it sooner.

See less See more
#5 ·
Excellent post.

I did have a question for you though. I have 2 dogs that are convinced that they are starving all the time. They look at an extra kibble and gain weight (kind of like me!). Since they are agility dogs I have to watch their weight carefully to keep them in good, lean condition. I am worried that if I tried raw then they would get less food (like you said, 1-2 oz for most chis) and would scrounge around even more. I know that people say that raw gives more nutrition so they won't want as much food but I think they really are happier with just more bulk. For instance, if I feed canned pumpkin so they get more bulk then they scrounge less.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#6 ·
Part of the raw diet is the stimulation it gives by chewing and gnawing large and complicated pieces. Most kibble fed dogs basically "inhale" their food with minimal chewing, thus it takes them awhile to feel full and satisfied.

A raw fed dog has to work for his dinner. For example I gave Brody a cornish hen leg quarter yesterday. He eats on a towel. He laid down and licked it, then started in. He held it down with his paws and pulled off some of the meat and skin, then took hold of an end and slowly and methodically crunched his way through the quarter. By the time he was done with it, he'd had a workout... mentally, physically. It is enrichment as well as food. :)

I know some people on another forum who are huge agility fans and work their dogs frequently. One recently was talking about agility and raw and saying that most of the dogs she trains with are raw fed. The dogs have a different body composition on raw... less fat, more muscle. Tons of energy.

I'll PM you the info and you can go take a look around and ask questions of other agility enthusiasts!

Reactions: iamnikkiblanco
#11 ·
Great thread!! I'm loving the teeny tiny "raw" poos. I sent my youngest daughter to "scoop" some poo after Matilda squatted on my dads lawn by his bird feeder. She looked for like 2 minutes before giving up because it blended in with bird poo, branches & leaves. hehe

#12 ·
oh yes! and raw poos will turn white, then to dust, and blow away in a few days. Simply fabulous!

Firefox, did you cut the kibble WAY down? A raw diet is so bio-available that many Chi's only need a couple ounces a day to maintain their weight. She might be overfed. Brody is 5 pounds and eats 2 ounces a day.

Reactions: iamnikkiblanco
#13 ·
I honestly think that she eats very little - kibble in the morning less than 1 oz and raw in the evening less than 1 oz. Her normal weight is around 3.5 lbs but now she is more than 4 lbs, our vet confirmed that she is overweight :(

Is that too much food for her?

I bought some Orijen Senior for her in Crufts, because i told them that my dog is gaining weight while on Orijen Fish, so they suggested my the senior one, which has less calories.

#14 ·
I just plugged in her weight on the raw calculator ...

http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

It says a dog weighing 3.5 pounds should eat 1.7 ounces a day, or half an ounce morning and evening. So she's getting double that. I'd cut her portions back a little bit more and see how she does. You can also increase her exercise and be sure not to give snacks, which are nutrient dense and can pack weight on quickly.

She is a little thing, isn't she! :)

#16 ·
Thank you Brodysmom :) I am getting confused with those ounces and oz because I am use to gr and kg :D

Well as I calculated grams to ounces, then she eats 20 gr (which is 0.7 oz) raw and then 20 gr kibble (which is 0.7 oz), and that's to much for her!!

I have to show this to my hubby, because he is the one who gives them treats and thinks I am a bad mommy because i fed her so little :(

Thanks again :hello1:

#17 ·
Can I ask why you are doing both instead of one or the other?
Some dogs just need less than recommended and some need more, just like people some put weight on easier. Also as they age they need to eat less sometimes. I have a 3 and a bit lb girl who eats 2 oz / day just raw, sometimes more. She's very slender.

#19 ·
Its not that its REALLY bad for them, its just that the two digest at very different rates. Some say if you feed them at separate meals its not a big deal, I personally prefer one or the other.
Maybe once your girl is just on one her weight will balance out.

#22 ·
Ok, the last 2 feedings i have started giving Bungee on 1oz raw chickn wing mixed with 1/2 teaspoon innova and her glucosamine liquid.
All in all it has been a very sucessful start. Was to funny at the start! other than her not quite knowing how to use her back molars yet:) but in time, she did use her back teeth and she was scareing herself with the noise of snaping bones! and she didn't know she could use her feet to hold the bone still and pull meat off untill this morning:)
Also she really wanted to carry the wing away and hide it from the cat:) (Tonka is away right now at an agility trail that I for health reasons could not do myself so a friend took him)
but as soon as he gets back i will start him on raw too:)
It is very interesting and kind of saddening watching an animal that is supposed to be a carnivore be so unfamiliar with raw meat. And to see the way it satisfiy's then is amazing!
on a side note bungees poop was very small and like little raisinettes this morning:) which is great because Bungee has had constipation prob's in the past..no more if i keep this raw!:hello1:!

#23 ·
Yay Jenna!! What encouraging news!! Even if you just do a chicken wing now and again, you will see some nice differences. And you will grow to love that sound of bones crunching! :)

I hope Tonka had a great run at the agility trial. Raw seems to be a favorite among agility and performance owners.

#24 ·
Thanks!! Ya its a three day trial, 2hrs away and a friend is running him for me.
points added hopefully...
I am delighted it didnt take much for bunge to catch on, i just hope she stops wanting to drag it around everywere and hide it in the sofa! lol! silly girl!:rolleyes:
Also, another question, the grocery sells chicken backs, very reasonable in price, but i am hesitating because they are pretty boney, are they ok??
plus they say some backs may have kidneys...

#25 ·
Yes, backs are good because they have kidneys attached, next to the spine so you get a little organ too. I feed them in conjunction with a meaty meal though. Like cut the back into several pieces for the bone content and then meat on the side. They are too bony to be used as a meal by themselves.

#26 ·
OMG! i just watched Bungee down her third Raw meal, and I must say... now I know what a proud parent feels like!:)
this time, i fed the shoulder portion of the chicken wing and because of the bigger, meatier bone Bungee had to figure how to bite down on the big shoulder joint while holding the rest, and eventually was on her belly, paws n jaws working away... and boy was it a sight!! I am so happy for my little carnivore:D:D:D

#27 ·
Oh Jenna - you are hooked now!! LOL!! I know the feeling. Nobody understands until they see it. It's just awesome. Wait until you see some results... teeny poops, shiny coat, great teeth, no doggy odor, great muscle definition.... Woo Hoo!

#30 ·
thanks Chloe:) will definatley have to refer back when i start Tonka...he is an 'inhale food as fast as possible'...kind of dog, so I might have to take his approch to raw a bit different from bungee, who has always taken the time to investgate her food thoroughly before start in! and start him with a bigger n meatier piece am guessing... he is home on saturday so a plan is forming:) any pointers are appreciated!

#31 ·
Milo & Matilda were like that too! Matilda swallowed her first chicken neck whole. Scared the crap outta me! After that, I decided to hand feed them for the first couple weeks. Now Matilda chews like a pro. She still gets a little possessive & is worried others will take her food but I just make sure to give her a little more space to eat so she can relax a bit. Milo still gets a bit excited. He'll chew...but not as much as Matilda & usually has to gult big a couple times to get his piece down. Bigger pieces definitely help...but only so much because with time the piece will get small enough for them to try to swollow whole. So you definitely need to supervise those inhalers closely no matter how big the piece!

#32 ·
I hand fed Phoebe, and sometimes still do, because she's possessive, she gulps, and she chokes. Schroeder is an inhaler but isn't possessive and somehow manages to right his choking when he gulps too much. Phoebe on the other hand doesn't choked on a chicken neck recently and was struggling (with me trying to assist) to breath for a good few minutes. Bigger or oddly shaped pieces I let her work with (she's learning to hold them down with her feet) but smaller or long pieces I tend to still hold on to.

#33 ·
Sometimes I hold onto Brody's cornish hen leg quarter. Not because he needs it. But because he likes me to. :) The look on his face as he chews it on my lap is priceless. Course I'm covered with a towel and have slimy chicken fingers, but it's worth it. HA!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.