Chihuahua People Forum banner

Japanese Legislation Gives New Meaning To “Till Death Do Us Part”

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Darkly_Innocent 
#1 ·
It’s sad, but happens frequently – people dump older dogs at shelters because they’re not puppies anymore. Let’s follow Japan’s lead and mandate care for the lifetime of dogs.

At some point in our lifetime many of us will have cared for an aging pet that is no longer able to fetch a stick, bound up the stairs or simply climb up onto the sofa to snuggle beside us. This isn’t a sad time; it’s a thoughtful time that allows us to at long last give back to someone who has brought years of joy to our life.
When our Jake was winding down we ensured someone was always on hand to help him up the family room stairs and that every smooth surfaced floor in the house had “stepping stone” mats that he could use to cross the room without wiping out. These are the little things you do when you love an aging pet and apparently pet owners in Japan not only agree but have taken it to the next level.

Read the full article here at Petguide.com.

#2 ·
chiadmin;2227929 At some point in our lifetime many of us will have cared for an aging pet that is no longer able to fetch a stick said:
This isn’t a sad time; it’s a thoughtful time that allows us to at long last give back to someone who has brought years of joy to our life.[/B]
First off, I want to address the bolded part. I couldn't agree more! My Bella was an old dog for a few years before she passed. She couldn't jump off furniture by herself. She was deaf and couldn't hear me call her. She was nearly blind so that meant many trips up and down the stairs carrying her. It meant cleaning up after her incontinence and reassuring her that it was okay. But I did it with pleasure not only because I loved her but because of the love she had blessed me with all those years.

Older dogs are treasures to be blessed and admired. :love7:

As for the article....I read this a few days ago and was so happy to see this. I think it is so important that we not dispose of animals when they simply become more 'work'. We make a commitment to care for them and, much like a commitment we make to a marriage, that means in sickness and health.

#3 ·
Have to agree with all of the above, I have had many chis since the 1990s and have had them for life. A dog is your responsibility as an owner forever, a forever home should not be an option it should be mandatory. I have loved and cared for all of my chis ever before the chi fads of the 2000's and before many breeders today thought of producing puppies. I could never ever think of giving up one of my chis because they were getting too old, never parting with them because they were not just a pet but a beloved family member. Some people don't all share these strong moral beliefs unfortunately which is why I think many homes who rescue here on the chi forums are just wonderful people. ❤❤❤

#4 ·
We need something to help people understand that pets are not disposable. It makes me sick when I see people take a dog to the shelter because "one of the kids is allergic" and 6 months later get another dog. I've seen that several times. There needs to be a reality check that your adult dog is NOT going to live happily ever after somewhere in the country. Sorry for the rant. I know everyone here feels the same way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.