Chihuahua People Forum banner

I'm back- and trying to stick around!

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Jessicashield 
#1 ·
Hey everybody- it's been so long! It seems around the holidays I always have more time to sit by the computer, so lets hope I can manage to come back and stay a while. I also have a possible work opportunity that may take me away from hubbie and the pups for a few months, so it would be nice to have some internet chihuahuas around - lol! How has everyone been doing? We have been kinda just trucking along as always, still running the dog gift basket business on the side and having fun! I think I was last on in June, we have had a foster named Millie the Min Pin come and go since then. Kerri got an award from our congressman for her work at the library, we dog sat while some friends were on their honeymoon for 2 weeks, that was an adventure. Anyway, here are some picture of the family.

Kerri relaxing-

Kerri hiking, as always-

Nova using Kerri as a pillow-

One of the dogs we were dog-sitting, wishing the sun spot was available. Kerri has been hanging out with this big guy since he was 8 weeks old and smaller than her. He still thinks Kerri is bigger than him I think!

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice to meet you too! We loved Millie, I get so attached to all the foster dogs, but I do have to say she taught me that min pins are not the breed for me- she drove me insane. I'm sticking to chis.

I have a post in the links section with more about my business- http://www.chihuahua-people.com/links-products/172554-exciting-news-5.html it has been a lot of fun! I have been doing a lot of local events and I love meeting new people and dogs more than anything!

#14 ·
Thanks for all the hello's! So nice to see all these friendly faces again! I grabbed a few pictures of Kerri's outfit on the way to the library today. It just was so adorable, I think this particular sweater looks really good with her TD harness. The child we tutor is really into Star Wars so we have been wearing all out SW garb to our sessions.

As you can see from the thermarest in the background, Kerri is getting ready to go on a backpack with her Dad. I swear that dog has a fuller calendar than I do!

#19 ·
She is registered with a therapy dog organization called The Alliance of Therapy dogs (formerly Therapy Dogs Inc). There are several organizations that do it though, they have a test you have to take then they provide you with insurance while you are on visits and things like that. When organizations like the library need therapy dogs they use people like us who are registered with an organization. The test is not very hard, and if you have a dog with the temperament for it you can pass easily. You could do all the training yourself but we already were planning on competing in rally and agility so Kerri went to a lot of obedience classes and the instructor thought she would be a good dog for therapy work. One of the mottos of therapy dog people is that "therapy dogs are born, not made." You can do a lot of training and not have a dog suited for it. After you pass the test you do observation visits with another team who is trained to observe and test new teams. Once you are done with that you are free to go find whatever volunteer stuff you want. It's a lot of fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.