Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Is it safe to feed freeze dried meat treats to our fur babe???
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 09:50 AM
chi god/godess

Name: Camille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_chihuahua View Post
Okok great! My boy is on Acana single lamb and apple and I think they are going to change the meat to raw meat and adding salt into the ingredient. Any concern about the salt in the ingredient? Also I think the other new ingredients are dried brown kelp, hicory root, turmeric root, milk thistle, burdock root, lavender, marshmallow root, rosehips.
I don't personally know how good or bad most of those ingredients are for dogs, but Acana is a highly rated high quality kibble so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

As for salt, even if too much of it can be bad, sodium is an essential mineral. Too little of it is as bad as too much. So even when dog foods don't list added salt in the ingredients, there will be salt naturally in the food already. Maybe Acana naturally contained too little salt and felt the need to add more? I'm not sure. If it was a cheap low quality food I would be concerned, but seeing as Acana is a very good brand, I wouldn't worry about it.