Chihuahua People Forum banner

Any Idea?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  pompom 
#1 ·
Well a simple question really.. as most of you know i want to show my chi when i get him..
Well i know the a chihuahua is any where to 6 lb. but the ideal weight is 2 -4 lb.

so heres my question.
I have found a breeder with pups due in April, Smooth coats.
any way the Dam is 5lb and the Sire is 3lb.
So what do you think my chances are of getting a 4 lb Boy?
would i have to go with the smallest, Middle sized one?
Thanks in advance guys.
And before anyone gets the wrong idea, this is not about my vanity wanting a tiny Chihuahua, i just want one of ideal weight! :D

#2 ·
It is very likely there will be a 4lb pup but then again they are living creature's so you can never guarentee anything, Zero's 4 1/2 lbs which would put him above your weight range and he's teeny to me.

If you want a show pup it's usually recommended you buy a dog at 6 months that way you know it is show quality, otherwise take your chances with a 12 week old but they may not turn out show quality.

#3 ·
Aww i know i can't imagine how tiny a 4lb dog will be, Kisse is like 11lbs and that is soo tiny too me!
Zero is like one of my favourtie dogs on here!
I have had alot of breeders offer to supply me with an older dog, but i really want to teach him everything and have the joy of taking handling classes with him. if he doesnt turn out in that weight range it wont matter, i was just wondering... ;)
and BTW just so you know the 2-4lb is not what i demand.. i saw it on the breed standard! :)
if i didnt want to show id be looking for a Chi on the larger side of the standard ;)

#11 ·
Hi This is what it says on The UK Kennel club website!
Size
Weight: up to 2.7 kgs (6 lbs), with 1-1.8 kgs (2-4 lbs) preferred. If two dogs are equally good in type the more diminutive preferred
;)

FreedomChi's : i'm not having a Chi from Morelia Chis any more, As the dates didnt add up :D

#14 ·
I am thinking in the ring now in the US 2lbs is too small especially if it is a female as you cannot breed a female Chi at that size. I have a friend now that has a 2 1/2 lbs female Chi that has Beautiful Conformation and even though she is almost finished she will still never be able to breed her. Now if you found a male Chi around 2 1/2 or 3 lbs that is a different story but I think it is hard to find such a tiny dog with the correct conformation? I think 4 or 5lbs is perfect for the ring:) Also remember that the smallest of the litter can still turn out to be the largest later on. It is better to buy from a show breeder that knows her line that can tell you what pup to pick. :)

Lots of breeders say they have show pups but only a show breeder can truely tell you what their the pup will turn out to look like and that is always not fool proof as it is so hard to tell at such a young age. Like said above when you are looking for a show prospect it is better to wait until they are at least 6 months old to truely know how they are turning out.

#17 ·
It not as simple as just looking at the mum and dad I am afraid to say. Look at their parents (ask the breeder for more info) small Chi's can get big grown ups and vice versa.

It is a chance you take when you buy a pup to see if it will be good enough or small/big enough to show. If you want to be sure you could wait and buy an older dog as I have done to assure show potential. This doesn't again guarantee a definite show dog. Even some of the best looking dogs just don't like the show ring and therefore don't do very well. Good luck!

#18 ·
FreedomChi's : i'm not having a Chi from Morelia Chis any more, As the dates didnt add up :D[/QUOTE]

What do you mean the dates didn't add up?

As my girls are not expecting yet it is very hard for me to determine an exact month for the arrival of the puppies. Sometimes they come into season 2 months early, sometimes late. So thats why I could not guarantee an exact time, and I thought you were in no hurry.

#19 ·
Maybe i should of stated it better,
in your first mail to me you stated you would have puppies in July, i thought that meant you would have puppies ready to leave in July.
When i asked again if you knew when the puppies would be ready because i wanted to make a ticker, You said the puppies would be ready in October, which was 3 months after July.
Which was why i did not want a puppy from you, as it wasnt the date i was planning on getting a puppy,
So thats how i meant the Dates didnt add up :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.