Chihuahua People Forum banner

Open fontanel?

9K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  laurelsmom 
#1 ·
Does your chi have an open fontanel (soft spot on skull)? I'm wondering how common it is. Teddy has one, and the breeder reassured me but my vet (who we just started going to) kinda freaked me out about it. :(

#2 ·
It is fine all puppy chis have them.Just watch him really closely and make sure he don't hit it.Because that could cause trouble but as long as he don't hit it he will be fine and will go away as he gets older.

#4 ·
The Chi I bought in May, Kip, had an open fontanel. My Vet was really discouraging about it too. Kip was about 8 months old, and yes, it was a huge gap--as big as a Quarter. My Vet said it wasn't going to close and I had to be very careful with him. As it turned out, Kip went back to the breeder for other health issues. It is a common condition with Chi's. Just be aware of it and get on with enjoying your pup!

#5 ·
Oh no! You had to return Kip? That must've been so difficult for you. Was the problem brain or skull related?

Teddy is very playful and outgoing, but I worry about his head because he and Zoey play so rough sometimes. I'm always slowing them down, lol.

#6 ·
It was a very difficult time. Kip was my little buddy. He had an intestinal problem that got worse. I think he was literally "homesick". He got better after he went back to the breeder. So, no, it wasn't brain or skull related. Try not to worry yourself so about Teddy. :)

#9 · (Edited)
Tango's fontanel hasn't closed, and at 2 1/2, it's not going to. It's not quite as large as a quarter, but close. He's seen several Vets since I rescued him, and each one assured me that this is not uncommon with chis, and it wasn't anything to be concerned about. I was cautioned to be aware of it when I bathed or groomed him and not to press too hard, which completely freaked me out! But I was reassured that I'd have to press pretty dang hard to do any damage whatsoever! I was concerned about protecting his head, but the one vet told me unless something pointy impacted his head at exactly that point, there wasn't much to be concerned about.

When I rescued Jazz, her fontanel was still open, but much smaller than Tango's, and whereas his is more or less a circle, hers is long and narrow. Since I've had her, it's continued to close from the sides and the ends, and now it's a very slight opening and difficult to find unless you know what to look for. The vet says at this rate, it WILL close completely within the next 2 - 3 months.

#12 ·
I think Teddy's fontanel is about the size of a dime. The vet scared me by "enlightening" me to all the dangers that chis face. He talked about luxating patellas, hydrocephalus, brain damage through an open fontanel and collapsed tracheae. I get the feeling that he doesn't appreciate chis too much. He seems to regard the breed as a canine anomaly. :/

#14 ·
I'm surprised to hear so many vets aren't well educated on Chi's. Many Chi's are born with & will always have a molera. Milo has a tiny one, Matilda had one but it since closed up, Maxie has a tiny one the size of a pencil eraser, Maribelle's is almost closed up & Marley, being as he's so young still has one that is between the size of a dime & a nickel.

But they are very common in Chi's and generally don't cause any problems. If it is of a considerable size there may be room for concern.....how big is Teddy's?

#15 ·
All of my Chi's are adults and have open fontanels. Never had a problem once with them. You just have to be careful with their heads. But they run all over the place, chase each other, wrestle, you name it, and no problems at all.

#17 ·
Archie's got one that seems fairly large to me, and is a diamond shape. The vet mentioned it to me, but didn't say anything other than he has a soft spot. I was aware of it before she mentioned it. I am paranoid with him, but he runs around like a nutter anyway! He's nearly 4 months old. I hope it will close, but it's the same size it was when we got him about a month ago so I'm not too hopeful.

#19 ·
Brody's was about dime sized when we got him at 11 weeks. Diamond shaped too. Over time it started slowly getting smaller. He's now a couple months over a year old and it's completely closed.

brodysmom

#20 ·
open Fontanelle

Mine has one. Never closed. One vet was nervous and wanted me to do an ultrasound or whatever you call it and I decided not to. What will that do? If she is meant to go she is meant to go.
Another vet said nothing to be alarmed about. Most of these dogs have them. She said mine wasn't so bad and not to worry.
You get 2 sides of every story. Unless it is enormous there is not much you can do. If it is enormous then you have to be more careful and hope for the best.

#23 ·
Mine has one. Never closed. One vet was nervous and wanted me to do an ultrasound or whatever you call it and I decided not to. What will that do? If she is meant to go she is meant to go.
Another vet said nothing to be alarmed about. Most of these dogs have them. She said mine wasn't so bad and not to worry.
You get 2 sides of every story. Unless it is enormous there is not much you can do. If it is enormous then you have to be more careful and hope for the best.
I know this is off topic ut Mirdle is absolutely adorable!:hello1:

#22 ·
This is a breed characteristic. Yes, there are some risks to having an open molera. Mainly that you don't want to have a head injury in that area which can happen when they are playing hard. But some Chi's have large open moleras their whole lives and it is considered normal. Unless it's causing a problem or you suspect hydrocephalus (water on the brain) or other neurological problems, I wouldn't worry.

Brodysmom

#26 ·
Meoqui had a fair sized one as a tiny puppy. It took till about 6 months or so before it closed. I can feel like a teeny groove where it once was now. She's 14 months.
It's worrying when they are small and have them. I know Meoqui was less than a pound when we got her and she's only now just over 3 pounds. They can seem like such a big hole on a such a teeny dog. She can play pretty rough with our Jack Russell and is in to everything so I was relieved when it closed.

#27 ·
Penelope still has a small one now, much smaller then as a puppy. I don't worry about it at all. She plays with other dogs (and cats hehe) with no issue. The one thing I am extra cautious about is their delicate tracheas. I think that has more potential of being armed. I just use a harness instead of a collar to prevent pressure on the throat area and watch little children around her to make sure they don't grab her by the neck. My vet is excellent with my chi, I think you just have to look around and try to get referrals.

#29 ·
One of our favourite Chi friends at the Dog Park has it and it doesn't slow him down at all. His person says she was a little bit sad because she had hoped he would be a "show quality" dog, but she accepts the fact that this is not something we want to pass along and had him neutered to make 100% sure that he will never sire an "oops" litter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.