Chihuahua People Forum banner

Madi is limping...off and on

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  msmadison 
#1 ·
so we're at my in-laws for the weekend. i went to bed early last night because my stomach was hurting, and when tim brought madi to bed a couple hours later, he said she had slid off the coffee table (why she was on there/?!?!? NO IDEA:) ) and it seemed like she was limping. Her back left leg seems to be sore this morning - she limps on and off - but will also run and play and stand on her hind legs to try and see what we were cooking for breakfast.

She's not wimpering and will put pressure on it, but then sometimes picks it up. Do you think it's okay to wait until we get home and can call our regular vet? If it gets any worse, I would obviously find a clinic here, but if she seems to be fine 90% of the time...? I'm guessing it's just sprained or bruised. There is no physical deformity that i can see - no broken nails or anything in the pads of her feet. Just every now and then it seems to bother her...

...thoughts?!?!? :)

#2 ·
I agree with you and would guess she just bruised it or strained a muscle. If she's not in obvious pain, it's probably fine to wait until you are back home and can see your regular vet. I'd keep her as quiet as possible though so she doesn't injure it more, no running, jumping, etc. Cage rest if you can.

#5 ·
Oh yes... I definitely know how it feels when something is wrong!! My guess is she's just fine, maybe a sprain. Hugs to little Madi from us. :)

#8 ·
Rico had an injury like that..I am not even sure how he did it..he likes to push things sometimes and runs and jumps...you know the routine. Anyway, I took him to the vet because he would intermitently lift up one of his hind lieg when walking. Just on and off one day, he'd seem better them again. In the end he had a bit of baby asprin and rest as the vet though the had pulled a muscle. He was fine in a few days.

It happens--they do more than they think they can. Possibly Maddi thought she could leap off the coffe table no bother..Try not to worry too much.

#9 ·
Oh Emily, I am sure you are worried. Sounds like you would be safe to wait till you get home. Sounds like a bruise. Benny had a leg problem TWICE. Limping and holding it up. Both times Dr. said just a bruise and to keep him quiet for a few days.... HA! They sure do worry us, don't they?????

#10 ·
thanks for all the support. it's been an issue on and off all day. SHe's been very lazy, but i know she didn't sleep well last night (nor did I - small bed!!!) We're getting ready to head home because tim has to work in the morning. we decided if she's not better by Monday, we'll call the vet.

Silly puppies!!!!

She is awfully cute in her cuddle mode, though :)

#11 ·
Tango's done the same thing more than once. It's worrisome, but after the first time it happened (and I took him to the Vet and got pretty much the same advice as you all did) I just waited it out when it happened again. Predictably, it got better with no intervention at all. I know when I've pulled or sprained something, it's a little uncomfortable, but doesn't really limit my movement a whole lot. I'll often use the limb in question, then have to remind myself that I shouldn't be, or should be taking it easier till it heals. I think our dogs do similar. When the can, they'll favor the limb. But when there's something going on that they want to be a part of, or investigate, they'll tend to ignore the discomfort, which tells me that it's just not that bad.

I think as dog owners we tend to over-think things sometimes.....*I* certainly do, anyway. :D Or would rather be sure than sorry, which sends me to the Vet (or at least to the phone to call them) more often than really I need to. I know my dogs, I'm very attuned to them, and I just KNOW when something isn't right, versus when things are basically OK even if their behavior is slightly different.

Sure wish they could talk sometimes, though. It'd make my life a WHOLE lot more settled. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.