Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Scared of doggy door???
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 04:22 PM
chi god/godess

Name: Stacia
Default Scared of doggy door???

Boy, I've forgotten how much work potty training is. We have a dog run off the side of the house that's the width of the house and is off the attached garage. She acts scared to go out there, but I know she CAN do it as I've watched her, but then I'm not out there to reinforce her good behavior....do I praise once she comes in? I've been taking her out to the run several times a day (first think in the AM, after eating, playing , etc) but she usually just looks at me and shakes. Or she spends all of the time trying to get the door open that I shut to keep her from running right back in the garage. Do I reward her when she does use the door, which would be when she comes back in....I don't want to teach that mom's happy because your coming IN the dog door....any suggestions? Also, I don't want her to feel like the only time I pick her up is to go out to the run, because it's not. I carry her around fairly often...help!

A dog is the only animal on earth that will love you more than she loves herself.