Chihuahua People Forum banner

A VERY stressful day..

2K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  lorri 
#1 ·
Rubi was pregnant again. It's part of why I havent been around, because she's been keeping me busy with worry! lol Well, last night, I finally went to bed about 2am, about 2:30am as I was just dozing off finally, I woke to her whimpering and yelping. I knew instantly she was in labor. Well, I was up until about 6:30, and after not getting any sleep last night or the night before due to pain and insomnia, I dozed off until around 11:30am. She still had not pushed out a pup! Worried, I called the vets, luckily they were open on a Saturday, we drove out immediately. Unfortunately, it's an hours drive, but was well worth it! He gave her a oxytoxin shot to try to induce her into harder labor, but it did nothing. She was just too exhausted at this point. So they had to do an emergency cesarian on her, and spay while they were in there too. She is resting at home with her 2 surviving pups, one passed away, as I dont think he was developed like the others, and he was less than half their size!

Anyways, here's what you are all waiting on! Pictures!! :D

Rubi passed out still from the surgery and the two pups. The black/white is a girl, the black/tan is the boy.

The black and white little girl, she has a perfect teardrop on the top of her head!

And the darling little boy that unfortunately did not make it. RIP sweet sweet boy!

See less See more
#2 ·
I am so sorry for your loss of the little pup. I will be sending up prayers for Rubi and the 2babies...

#13 ·
I can't believe she died!!! Just awful. Rest in peace sweet Ruby.

Dustin you will have your hands full with 2 newborns. Is there ANYONE around you who has a small breed dog with puppies that can take them on? It's almost impossible to hand raise newborns, you will need a lot of support and help. I feel so terrible for you!!

#18 ·
Thanks guys, and I all ready tried to see if I could find a "foster" mom, but no luck, I dont know anyone near me with a small breed dog, or even a cat that just had a litter. :( I have a wonderful support team with my husband and oldest daughter helping out. It's going to be very stressful, but if they make it, it will be oh so worth it!

#21 ·
I'm in Indianapolis, and they are all ready gaining weight today. They are both eatting well, keeping warm, and burping/peeing/pooping nicely. We've kept a feeding chart, and I'm taking them to the vets in the morning to make sure they are doing ok and Rubi didnt have some infection she may have transfered to them. I'll let ya'll know how they do!

#27 ·
Took the pups to the vet today just to get them checked over, he said they look wonderful, healthy, and happy. He said I am doing everything perfectly, gave me some advice on where to get the wet wipes to keep their bums clean, and where to find the heat pouches for the thing the nurse gave us yesterday (still havent found them lol). All is well though! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.