This is an update on Lina: Lina was at our vet's office all day last Wednesday for IV nutrition and hydration, ultra sounds and more tests. The tests results were negative. The tests revealed nothing was “wrong” except there is sludge in Lina’s gall bladder. Vet told us that if Lina eats and drinks, this would clear up the sludge in her gall bladder. He believes her lack of appetite could be from allergies? or her loss of smell and taste because of her age?
Unfortunately, Lina could barely eat and we forced fed her Nutri-Cal (a high nutrient paste for sick dogs) and Children's Pedialyte for hydration. She was extremely weak and could barely stand or walk. We took her back to our vet this past Saturday so she could get another IV for nutrition and hydration. We insisted that Lina is very sick even though her test results were negative. Our vet took another blood test. This new blood test revealed Lina’s red blood cell count is going down while her white blood cell count is going up – this explains why Lina has no appetite because she feels lousy and is sick. Our vet believes Lina may have an infection and gave her an antibiotic shot. He is guessing that Lina may have an autoimmune disease or the beginning of cancer where a tumor is too small to show up on x-rays or ultra sound?
He gave Prednisone (a steroid) for Lina to take for 28 days. If she has autoimmune disease, the Prednisone will work.
In the meanwhile, Lina is eating small amounts of food and we have to force feed her. She is still very weak and lethargic and could barely stand up or walk. In fact, she was walking very slowly to the living room this morning, and fell down on the floor. She wants us to hold and comfort her.
Our vet wants to see Lina tomorrow morning (Tuesday) for another blood test to see if the Prednisone is working. If her red blood cell count did not go down any further, then the Prednisone is working and she has an autoimmune disease and not cancer. If her white blood cell count is not going up, then the antibiotic shot worked. Lina is fighting for her life right now.
Has anyone had this experience with your chihuahuas? We are sick with worry about losing Lina too soon.