Lulu update - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Health

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2017, 06:57 PM
lulu'smom's Avatar
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Tina
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,186
Thanks: 647
Thanked 940 Times in 878 Posts
Default Lulu update

Lulu's been doing great for the past 2 weeks. Other than the occasional cough you would never know she had any issue. I could have almost fooled myself into believing nothing was wrong with her anymore--almost. For the past 2 weeks I have had her on 1/2 tablet of enalapril and 1/4 tablet of lasix 2x a day. She gets this at 8am and 8pm. Last night at 9:30 she was in her spot on the couch asleep, but her breathing was FAST! I checked her and she was breathing 72 breaths a minute. I gave her 1/2 tab of lasix right then. At 10:30 when she was still at 70 breaths a minute I gave her another 1/4 tab lasix. That would be a total 1 lasix tablet in 2 1/2 hours. I called the ER and of course they said if I didn't feel comfortable bring her in. Her heart rate was hard to get with her breaths so fast, but when I got it, it was 120--not high. I decided to take her to the ER when breaths didn't go down by 11:00. The dr. didn't hear crackling upon exam. Did X-rays--only saw very minisule "cottony" area she said she might could call fluid if she really wanted to make something of it judging it against her x-rays from 2 weeks ago (showed it to me as well). She did an ultrasound and didn't see any fluid around her heart. Checked her electrolytes, and her potassium was normal but low normal.
I really don't feel they could give me a reason for that fast breathing--not sorry I took her because it did give me peace of mind. At her 8am med time I gave her 1/2 lasix with her enalapril.

Susan, has Zarita ever had fast breathing with no fluid? What would you do in the future if Lulu is acting perfectly fine and heart rate is fine but breaths are increased even after another dose of lasix? I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is normal for CHF. I could have not been giving her enough lasix for the past 2 weeks, and the fluid finally got to be too much. Was that very small amount of fluid enough to make her breathe that fast? And why does this kind of thing NEVER happen during regular vet hours! LOL
__________________
Life is better because I have a friend like you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-06-2017, 01:09 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,111
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,005 Times in 949 Posts
Default

Zarita scared the h--l out of me tonight. I gave her a treat, which evidently she choked on. She went down, all legs out. I grabbed her and did a heimlich (sp?) but nothing came up. I held her while she gulped for air. Slowly she become herself. Now she is totally back, barking like mad at something in the backyard! Now to your question: I tend to ignore fast breathing. If the dog is 'normal' in other ways, I wait until the dog is really sleeping deeply, then count the respirations. One of my chi's has a high rate, but not as fast as LulU's. I guess that unless there are other symptoms I would forget it. Lulu would cough a lot if there was fluid around her heart. Check with vet, but I'm pretty sure coughing would be the first symptom.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2017, 02:41 AM
lulu'smom's Avatar
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Tina
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,186
Thanks: 647
Thanked 940 Times in 878 Posts
Default

Susan, what a scare! So glad all is well now!! I texted my vet tonight with what has been going on, and he said early edema can increase her respirations but not show up on the X-ray. Also, she can have some early edema with no cough (or at least no more cough than she's been doing). He said my increase of the lasix was fine, and I could actually give her 1-2mg/lb up to 3x a day if I feel like she needs that. He also said it may be time to think about restarting the Pimobendan in a lower dose to see if she tolerates it better. Last time it gave her terrible diarrhea and loss of appetite. I'm scared to but feel like I need to try again.

I'm so grateful she doesn't seem to be stressed or uncomfortable. I can only hope Lulu does as well as Zarita does!
__________________
Life is better because I have a friend like you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 08-06-2017, 04:53 AM
almaviva's Avatar
chi person
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 21
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu'smom View Post
Lulu's been doing great for the past 2 weeks. Other than the occasional cough you would never know she had any issue. I could have almost fooled myself into believing nothing was wrong with her anymore--almost. For the past 2 weeks I have had her on 1/2 tablet of enalapril and 1/4 tablet of lasix 2x a day. She gets this at 8am and 8pm. Last night at 9:30 she was in her spot on the couch asleep, but her breathing was FAST! I checked her and she was breathing 72 breaths a minute. I gave her 1/2 tab of lasix right then. At 10:30 when she was still at 70 breaths a minute I gave her another 1/4 tab lasix. That would be a total 1 lasix tablet in 2 1/2 hours. I called the ER and of course they said if I didn't feel comfortable bring her in. Her heart rate was hard to get with her breaths so fast, but when I got it, it was 120--not high. I decided to take her to the ER when breaths didn't go down by 11:00. The dr. didn't hear crackling upon exam. Did X-rays--only saw very minisule "cottony" area she said she might could call fluid if she really wanted to make something of it judging it against her x-rays from 2 weeks ago (showed it to me as well). She did an ultrasound and didn't see any fluid around her heart. Checked her electrolytes, and her potassium was normal but low normal.
I really don't feel they could give me a reason for that fast breathing--not sorry I took her because it did give me peace of mind. At her 8am med time I gave her 1/2 lasix with her enalapril.

Susan, has Zarita ever had fast breathing with no fluid? What would you do in the future if Lulu is acting perfectly fine and heart rate is fine but breaths are increased even after another dose of lasix? I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is normal for CHF. I could have not been giving her enough lasix for the past 2 weeks, and the fluid finally got to be too much. Was that very small amount of fluid enough to make her breathe that fast? And why does this kind of thing NEVER happen during regular vet hours! LOL
Lulu's mom, I have a CHF dog who was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension after several hospitalizations where they had ruled it out. She was finally diagnosed at a follow up appointment. She is now on Sildenafil (Viagra) and the scary breathing incidents have stopped. Just thought you should know about pulmonary hypertension just in case it's happening to little Lulu.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2017, 03:10 PM
lulu'smom's Avatar
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Tina
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,186
Thanks: 647
Thanked 940 Times in 878 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almaviva View Post
Lulu's mom, I have a CHF dog who was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension after several hospitalizations where they had ruled it out. She was finally diagnosed at a follow up appointment. She is now on Sildenafil (Viagra) and the scary breathing incidents have stopped. Just thought you should know about pulmonary hypertension just in case it's happening to little Lulu.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for your response! I have seen in my research viagra mentioned and pulmonary hypertension mentioned, but have not studied it. I will definitely do so now!
__________________
Life is better because I have a friend like you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2017, 05:17 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,111
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,005 Times in 949 Posts
Default

Pulmonary problems could indeed make Lulu's breahing fast. I had previously, a puppy mill mama who at the end of her life was breathing like Lulu, but she had interstitual pneumonitis, from fumes of her own urine for 7 years. At least the last 3 years, when I had her, she had the life of luxury. Pulmonary hypertension is something that you could discuss with the vet. I would think there would be some x-ray evidence of it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-2017, 06:49 PM
almaviva's Avatar
chi person
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 21
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu'smom View Post
Thank you so much for your response! I have seen in my research viagra mentioned and pulmonary hypertension mentioned, but have not studied it. I will definitely do so now!
I don't remember what the test was for pulmonary hypertension but she took it three times before she was finally diagnosed. We had ER docs and cardiologists disagreeing about it until the third test. Her xrays confused them. They kept trying to solve the mystery with lasix. Didn't work, of course. I hope Lulu has a better time of it.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-2017, 07:40 PM
lulu'smom's Avatar
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Tina
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,186
Thanks: 647
Thanked 940 Times in 878 Posts
Default

I'm definitely going to mention it to my vet. Her breathing is fine today so far thank the Lord. I gave her her first dose of Pimobendan this morning. At the advise of my vet I cut it in half of what was prescribed by the ER vet. I prayed she would be able to take it without the diarrhea and loss of appetite. So far she ate very well about 2-3 hours after her dose and no diarrhea! So far so good!
__________________
Life is better because I have a friend like you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum