Thank you. We finally, finally have some answers but they aren't easy ones.
Laurel was tested for the most common local environmental allergens. She is, to put it bluntly, allergic to everything. Immunotherapy could take up to a year to show any improvement and there is a 50% chance of her being completely cured, a 25% chance that she will show significant improvement, and a 25% chance that I will have to be responsible for determining whether she is getting enough pleasure out of life to justify how painful it will always be for her.
I am not currently actively looking for a new owner for Laurel with deeper pockets, but of course that is ALWAYS a preferable option to euthanizing an otherwise healthy animal with a chronic medical condition.
The real shocker, which I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around, is that most of Laurel's allergies are fairly mild and shouldn't bre causing such an extreme reaction except for two of them.
One of them is oak. There isn't a whole lot of oak around here.
The other is cats.
I'm not currently actively trying to rehome my cat. The furbabies are very tightly bonded. Laurel dry nursed that kitten. She was already on cytopoint and I was already trying to come up with the $$$ for tesyting anfd immunotherapy when we adopted Willow, which was why I had to do spay and neuter clinic and all the low income stuff in the first place, or I couldn't have afforded the kitten.
There was already cat dander in my house (but not my car) from the previous cat. Both of my next-door neighbours have indoor/outdoor cats. There is less cat dander in the forest, so of course her allergies weren't as bad when I was living in my car, but the house, and quite frankly the entire county, is too covered with cat dander for Laurel to have reasonable quality of life without the immunotherapy even if i DID rehome my cat.
I would have expected her atopy to go through the roof when I brought the kitten in, but it didn't, it just got slowly and progressively worse as Willow got bigger and bigger. She's almost full grown so we're probably at maximum cat dander right now, assuming I go on a cleaning frenzy after I finish this post and get funds to start immunotherapy asap.
Has anybody else ever been in this situation and decided to keep both pets? I'm getting one of these:
when I can afford it, but I'm putting it on Laurel and not Willow. Cats aren't dogs and I think it would be cruel to do it the other way around.
She's also going on Benadryl. Her tearstains have gotten a lot worse, cytopoint loses effectiveness over time, and benadryl just plain isn't that dangerous. If it makes her sleepy, I'll only give it to her at bedtime.