Originally Posted by anarkissed
I found my small dogs kept getting sick from straight raw. I was very careful with the food, I've had restaurant training on sanitation, but it wasn't enough. I used some very reputable sources of BARF dog food too, but it wasn't great. These days the raw is microwaved a bit first to kill bacteria. it gets a little cooked. The vet recently also detected a common chlostridium bacteria and recommended a higher fibre content in the diet so I've been adding rice. I think it's helping but too early to know for sure.
I read that small dogs don't take well to raw, so how do you folks manage?
Dogs digestive tracts are totally different to humans so the acids have no problem digesting the bone. Bacteria isn't a problem I clean her area all the the time.
I would love to see where you read that small dogs don't do well on raw as there are a lot of us who feed Raw and our dogs are a picture of health and vitality.
Cheryl well done she did well!!