Flea and tick season - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2017, 12:11 AM
Chauncey's Avatar
chi fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 59
Thanks: 57
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Flea and tick season

What products do you use for ticks? Both chi's 4 pound and under. Would like a chewable. Have you given your dog shot for Lyme disease? Going to vet soon and they have asked about Lyme disease prevention but am unsure of what I think of this have read many mixed messages.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-22-2017, 12:13 AM
Chauncey's Avatar
chi fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 59
Thanks: 57
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Flea and tick season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
What products do you use for ticks? Both chi's 4 pound and under. Would like a chewable. Have you given your dog shot for Lyme disease? Going to vet soon and they have asked about Lyme disease prevention but am unsure of what I think of this have read many mixed messages.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


.............Just bought a camper and will start camping in May. Have not had to use products before.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:28 PM
MelodyoftheForest's Avatar
chi-aholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Name: Reta
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 488
Thanks: 20
Thanked 107 Times in 103 Posts
Default

I use this product: Pet Pride No Flea
The minimum you can order on her website is quite a lot for our little guys, but maybe you can split the order with some people local to you. My 4 pound dog gets a light 1/4 teaspoon each day. 1/8 teaspoon was not enough for him and he got a couple fleas in the fall.

I also use a natural flea and tick spray when going places that might have more bugs. Natural Chemistry makes a good one that I use on myself and my daughter too.
__________________
-Reta
First time Chihuahua owner with many years of dog experience!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:29 PM
Chauncey's Avatar
chi fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 59
Thanks: 57
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyoftheForest View Post
I use this product: Pet Pride No Flea

The minimum you can order on her website is quite a lot for our little guys, but maybe you can split the order with some people local to you. My 4 pound dog gets a light 1/4 teaspoon each day. 1/8 teaspoon was not enough for him and he got a couple fleas in the fall.



I also use a natural flea and tick spray when going places that might have more bugs. Natural Chemistry makes a good one that I use on myself and my daughter too.


Thank you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-28-2017, 04:00 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Name: Pam
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,686
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I get Advantage. I just moved back from the desert, no fleas or ticks there. But I'll have to start up again this summer now that I'm back in Bakersfield. Because I have so many dogs, I get a kit online that comes with a dosage calculator and syringe, then I buy the package of extra large dosages and measure them out individually for each dog. Saves me a ton of money that way rather than buying the individual dosages.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Pam's Chihuahua Sanctuary
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Chauncey's Avatar
chi fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 59
Thanks: 57
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdreamer View Post
I get Advantage. I just moved back from the desert, no fleas or ticks there. But I'll have to start up again this summer now that I'm back in Bakersfield. Because I have so many dogs, I get a kit online that comes with a dosage calculator and syringe, then I buy the package of extra large dosages and measure them out individually for each dog. Saves me a ton of money that way rather than buying the individual dosages.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Thank you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-04-2017, 05:26 AM
CuddlesMom's Avatar
chi-aholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Name: Angela
Location: Northeast PA (Near Scranton)
Posts: 462
Thanks: 200
Thanked 91 Times in 85 Posts
Default

I used Wondercide for the end of flea/tick season on Cuddles last year, and this year I'm trying it on all four dogs. I didn't see a single flea or tick on Cuddles when I was using it on her, which was probably from August until September or October.
I'm also going to treat the yard with Wondercide's yard treatment, so that will probably help tremendously. We have some woods right next to our yard, and there are sometimes ticks in there and occasionally in our yard.

When I was using spot-on flea/tick medicine, I would occasionally still find fleas and ticks on her (which were probably in the middle of dying). The Wondercide repels them instead of allowing them to still take a bite out of her before dying.
If you don't have cats, then Advantix would be good if you wanted to use a spot-on. It actually repels them. I am too cautious to use it on our dogs, though, since the cats and dogs occasionally groom each other. It kills cats.
Your dogs have to be at least 4 lbs to use K9 Advantix.

Spot-ons (and even pills) can occasionally cause an adverse reaction in a dog, though, especially small dogs like Chis. That's one reason I prefer using a non-pesticide product for my girl and our other dogs.
__________________

Last edited by CuddlesMom; 03-04-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:48 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum