Hemophilia A - Bleeding Disorder - clotting - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-14-2007, 08:00 PM
chi-aholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 419
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hemophilia A - Bleeding Disorder - clotting

Hi,

As some of you know, I've tried bringing Monster Baby to have her spay back in August of 2006. The Vet didn't perform the surgery because Monster Baby still had her baby teeth. Blood work came out normal and the ALT count came out to be a little higher than normal, but nothing serious. The vet suggested that it could be due to Bone structure, baby teeth, etc.

Then in Oct. 2006, she had her first heat...... Fast forward.

Present day: On Tuesday 02/13/07 (yesterday as I am writing this)... Monster Baby was scheduled to be spay, but the Vet didn't perform the surgery again. Her blood count on the ALT count is really high (too much protein, her liver wasn't able to process the good bad and the bad blood).

** Note, for those who knows my situation. I went throught this whole thing with my other girl Tiny (liver, the whole ALT count)**

The vet had notified us that Monster baby's blood will not clot. They decided to cut one of her nail (ouch) and see how long it will take for her to stop the bleeding. It took more than 10 minutes. The vet claimed she has a bleeding disease (hemophilia A: insufficient levels of factor VIII blood clotting factor / I saw this on web somewhere). Then the vet also mentioned this reason could probably due to her upcoming heat cycle... (2 months from now, maybe)

Does anyone here would like to share me their experience(s) and how you handled this situation. How your Vet handled this situation? What did the Vet tell you? Did you ended up spaying your female Chihuahua? What are the symptons, if any? Did you ended up switching their food to Low to Non-protein diet?

And if you can think of anything else that I should and need to know... Please provide as much information as you can.

I am pretty stress out about this. I spent close to $3,000 on different type of tests on Tiny when she had this high ALT count when she was 6-7 months. I don't wish to have to go through this again, but this time with Monster Baby.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Linda, Tiny, & Monster Baby
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-14-2007, 08:18 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lancaster, uk
Posts: 6,182
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Rubyfox
Default

I am so sorry Linda, I dont know anything about it but hopefully someone on here will do and might be able to help you.
I hope you get it sorted soon, I bet you are a bit stressed about it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Jen Jen is offline
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Name: Jen
Location: CA
Posts: 11,144
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 1 Post
Default

i'm so sorry linda poor monster baby

i don't know anything about it either i hope someone else does.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 02-14-2007, 10:10 PM
chi lover
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 181
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm sorry about Monster Baby. Hope things turn out OK for her.

I just had one of mine spayed on Tuesday and my vet didn't order any bloodwork prior to it...just brought her in on the assigned day and had it done. Also had another one done the week before and no bloodwork then either. Is getting bloodwork done before spaying the usual thing? If so, I'm wondering why mine doesn't do it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2007, 02:43 AM
chi king/queen
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, USA
Posts: 919
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Linda,

I'm sorry you and your babies are having so many problems. Are the two related? Can the breeder help?


Marie,

Boop's vet recommended but didn't require bloodwork ($60) before spaying. After hearing Linda's problems, I think it's a good idea, but I'm surprised she had what must be a rare problem with two different dogs.


Pauline
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-2007, 11:32 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,825
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I am very surprised that both chis have the same rare condition also!
I think I would be looking for a second opinion in a different vet office not associated with the first one.

Sorry your having such problems, and I hope everything works out!
__________________
Sandy, Koke and Lelaska's Mom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Lin Lin is offline
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,248
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Lin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie
I'm sorry about Monster Baby. Hope things turn out OK for her.

I just had one of mine spayed on Tuesday and my vet didn't order any bloodwork prior to it...just brought her in on the assigned day and had it done. Also had another one done the week before and no bloodwork then either. Is getting bloodwork done before spaying the usual thing? If so, I'm wondering why mine doesn't do it.
The vet ask me with both dogs if I wanted the pre-op blood work done. I had a choice. I had it done with Buford, I did not with Ernie. But it was a choice.

Linda I am sorry about Monster baby. Hope everything works out for you both.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Lin Lin is offline
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,248
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Lin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline Leland
Marie,

Boop's vet recommended but didn't require bloodwork ($60) before spaying. After hearing Linda's problems, I think it's a good idea, but I'm surprised she had what must be a rare problem with two different dogs.


Pauline
Is it genetic? Are both dogs from the same breeder?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum