I know this is a very old thread, but there's a lot of good information here that I want to retain.
I haven't been here for a long while. Got busy with a lot of other things. Fast forward, Hershey is now 7, and Nilla is 6. My 2 bundles of joy.
They have always been on ziwipeak venison and fish and Fromm kibble.
Hershey first had runny and slimy poop with a hint of red July of this year. Brought her to the vet (I moved so first time going to this vet). She was given antibiotics, proviable probiotic capsules and paste. Fecal exam for parasites came back negative. Her pooped came back to normal, but she'd have like one day in a week or two with tarry soft stool and slime but would be back to normal again after a couple of days. Months went by like this. She's her normal self, eating, drinking, playing, sleeping, so I didn't get alarmed. Until 3 days ago (Tuesday).... I woke up to my bathroom tiles full of blood and slime in several spots.
Took her to the vet that morning and saw the vet on duty (not the one from July). He gave the same meds plus + sucralfate. He explained to me full blood panel, xray, ultrasound. So I had them do the xray and full bloodwork. He wanted to wait for the bloodwork results to do ultrasound.
Xray results shows inflamed intestines and gas. He called me the following day and said Hershey's protein levels are borderline low. His diagnosis are Protein-Losing Enteropathy (PLE) and Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), and wanted to get her started on steroids. He then said if I wanted to get a more accurate diagnosis, a biopsy needs to done either via surgery or endoscopy.
Hershey is eating only boiled chicken and rice for now, and I give her small amounts every 4 hours. But she's not as lively as before and is not drinking as much. She hasn't passed stool since that blood bath episode Tuesday morning, which is 2 days ago.
What should I do???
Would an ultrasound give us more information? Should I do the intestinal biopsy? I hate for her to go on surgery, but I read endoscopy, though less invasive and more expensive doesn't always yield best results if pathology is located in the deeper layers of the gut wall.
Should I agree to get her started on steroids?
Or should I sit tight for a while and see how a diet change can help first? I noticed the loose bowels are happening after she eats ziwipeak, so I'm planning on stopping that.
Thank you everyone for reading this long post. I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts and input.
Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk