Which would you do? - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:17 AM
LDMomma's Avatar
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Name: Kelly
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,537
Thanks: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Which would you do?

Re: Lily's soft tissue sarcoma

We have two options and can see the merit in both so we can't decide how to proceed.

We can either:
Option 1:
Have the vet do surgery and remove only one piece of the tumor to test and find out if it's malignant. Then go back and remove the tumor after the results come in. This guarantees two surgeries minimum but they will know exactly how much tissue to remove.

Option 2:
Remove the whole tumor and surrounding tissue and send it to the lab. The lab will be able to identify if everything was removed. With this option there is a possibility of only one surgery needed. The trade off is that more tissue will be removed initially.

So, what would you do?
__________________
Daisy (blonde), Roxy (white), Lily (black), and Riley (red)

Please visit my blog: http://coupleofpups.blogspot.com/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:20 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Name: Tracy
Location: Wichita, KS for 26 years... just moved to UTAH!
Posts: 14,441
Thanks: 415
Thanked 426 Times in 299 Posts
Default

Option 2 definitely. I would want only one anesthesia and I would want it out immediately. I wouldn't want to wait around for pathology and then to schedule another surgery. I would want that sarcoma out of there.
__________________

"Having heard all of this, you may choose to look the other way.....
but you can never say again that you did not know." William Wilberforce 1759-1833
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:21 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: May 2009
Name: Heather
Location: Lehi, Utah
Posts: 3,090
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cprcheetah Send a message via MSN to cprcheetah Send a message via Yahoo to cprcheetah
Default

Personally I would do #2 as with Sarcoma's it's always a good idea to get a wide margin around the tumor to make sure it all gets out. Also no need for a 2nd surgery, surgeries are risky enough as it is, why put her through it a 2nd time? In addition to if it's malignant, opening her up and only taking a portion out could make the tumor metastasize (spread) quicker (I saw that happen with my Standard Poodle who had surgery in July for mammary cancer, and it spread by the middle of August.
__________________

Thank-you Sugarbaby for my awesome siggie!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:31 AM
chi fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Name: Lynne
Location: Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Lynne_and_Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Lynne_and_Paco
Default

I would go with option two, I would think there would be less stress on Lily to have just the one surgery, even if it does mean more rehab time for her in the long run.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:37 AM
chi addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 200
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Option #2....what if it is cancerous...it can't be good to be disturbing it and giving the small cells a chance to migrate.
__________________


Thank you flippedstars for my amazing siggy!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:43 AM
LDMomma's Avatar
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Name: Kelly
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,537
Thanks: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

We have tentatively chosen option #2. Our vet said if it was his dog, he would do option 2. However, specialists recommend option #1. We can change our mind until Thursday morning. We are scheduled already for option 2.
__________________
Daisy (blonde), Roxy (white), Lily (black), and Riley (red)

Please visit my blog: http://coupleofpups.blogspot.com/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:45 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Name: Pam
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,686
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Default

An other vote for option two. As a nurse, I have seen that if the tumor isn't taken out entire, there is a good chance of metastisis. I always thought it was because the capsule was puntured, allowing the cells to leave. That may be wrong, but it's what I think.
__________________
Pam's Chihuahua Sanctuary
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:48 AM
chi prince/princess
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Name: Chasely :D
Location: Living in Sydney in Australia!
Posts: 602
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would go option 2. Better for Lily and possibly money wise?
__________________
"Life is like a Dog Sled Team; if your not the Lead Dog, the Scenary never changes"


Fiddle and Me, new addition soon!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:44 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum