A few Twinkie questions bundled into 1 long post:) - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 PM
chi lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Name: Danielle
Location: Moved to MO from NY
Posts: 125
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red face A few Twinkie questions bundled into 1 long post:)

Hi everyone,
Hope you're all having a great day. Just some Twinkie updates/questions.. I wish I could post on here more, but to be honest since I'm so new to having a chihuahua I'm afraid to comment too much and give anyone wrong advice or anything, so I mostly just read/learn. But anyway, Twinkie is doing well. She looks like she's growing a ton, the scale hasn't changed all that much which I'm a little freaked out about. I don't know if I really should be. She's at about 15 weeks, weighs around 1.7 lbs. Will get the exact weight on Saturday when she goes in for more shots=/. I hate bringing her in for shots by the way, she gets herself so psyched out, and cries when she sees the needle. The funny thing is she actually stops crying as soon as the vet actually is giving her the shot. I mean, it's not funny, but it's like humans. We get so scared, and then are like "oh,this isn't even that bad". Would you all say this is an okay weight for her?
We just also switched her food. Her dry food is Orijen, and we mix in Stella&Chewy freeze dried Duck Duck Goose(haha)... Honestly we JUST changed it, but it seems to have made her so much happier. She was eating Nutro from Petsmart, mixed with pumpkin and a little Nutro dry food. She seemed to always have a little bit of trouble pooping- not crying, but pushing... Now she is fine. Also, she never really seemed very interested in eating. She would eat, but was more interested in playing and running around.. Now as soon as she sees the food bowl she is all about it, eats, and jumps in our laps. She just seems so much happier, am I making this up? Has anyone else seen this? She never really used to sit in our laps because she was so hyper and now she does and it's since starting the food. Weird right? I could seriously hug the lady at the specialty food store for suggesting this food to us. She really knew her stuff, and seemed to suggest the perfect food. Plus I had NO IDEA the junk they put in regular food. She lost a dog at 4 years old, and was telling us that she thinks it's the food it was eating so she went crazy educating herself about pet foods. Definitely taught us A LOT.

Hmm what else, she is still biting. When she does it we say no and she stops, but then she does it again 2 minutes later. Normal? I feel like it probably is for a puppy, but anything that you guys noticed helps make it stop faster? I did read that adopting them so early in life makes it harder to get them to stop nipping, and she was only 8 weeks when we got her...

Still having some issues with the cat. Every now and then they do the little nose tap kisses, which makes me the absolute happiest person ever.. But I think they have... we'll call them communication issues.. Haha.. The puppy just wants to play all the time, and frequently catches the cat when she DOES NOT want to play, so the cat(monkey) raises her paw. She doesn't actually use claws, or hit her.. But it scares the puppy... Then, when the cat DOES want to play the dog is afraid of her. It's a vicious cycle, really. I think they'll
work it out, especially when Twinkie gets older and calms down a bit.

Oh, do you guys dress your dogs up when it gets cold out? We bought her sweaters+ things that she'll have to wear when we take her to the vet, because the weather changed OVERNIGHT practically in MO. It's already in the 40's... But she haaaaates wearing even just a collar, so clothes she has a big problem with. When we put a sweater on her she just stops moving, and sits down.

The only last question I have is about Twinkie's crate. At night, we have her in a metal crate with a cushion at the bottom of it, and she has a bed and a stuffed hippo also. She is more than fine in there, never cries or anything- but I've seen that some of you use cloth crates. Is that better? Can someone explain if I should switch her over? She does not wear a collar to bed.


Ah, this got so long, I'm sorry! If anyone has any input on anything I typed it would be great. I also attached a picture that I just took about 30 seconds ago.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Name: Melissa
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 3,471
Thanks: 189
Thanked 289 Times in 271 Posts
Default

Your post sounds like mine. I go to say one thing and then I ramble on! It's a good thing though, it shows you're really excited about your puppy! I'll try to get everything but mostly it'll be just my opinion, experience and stuff I've learned from here. I've had 2 chihuahuas in the past but that was growing up so this is the first dog I've had that mine. He's just turned 5 months.

I can't really comment on the weight thing. Different weights are fine depending on the dog. It's pretty subjective. I think Mylo is pretty small for his weight but he's a compact and sturdy little thing. Currently he weighs about 5lbs (if my scales are to be trusted) but his neck measures 8" and his chest measures 10.5". You'll know if she's the right weight by feeling her ribs. If you can easily feel them but not see them they you're doing good.

You were lucky finding that woman. She really knows her stuff. Sounds like an excellent choice. I know several members on here feed orijen and S&C. Good food is the best thing we can do for them.

You're right about the nipping. They learn bite inhibition from their litter mates or if you have another dog. Sounds like you're doing good in that she stops at all. Often Mylo wouldn't stop unless we removed ourselves from the situation. I'd firmly say no or ow when it hurt so that he learned the difference between hard and soft biting. We had a problem with him biting faces so if he did that we said no and stopped playing for a minute, then went back to playing and repeated. He very rarely does that now.

She probably will figure stuff out with the cat on her own. I've bought a hoodie for Mylo for the cold weather because he's been shivering on his walks. He doesn't seem too bothered about wearing or even me putting it on which I was surprised about. My last chihuahua I had when I lived in Wales where it snowed most winters and she hated clothes but if I put a little cardigan on her when it snowed then she left it on. My guess is that if your girl is cold she won't mind so much and will get over it.

Mylo has a metal crate and loves it. I think it's down to personal preference and how much of an escape artist/ chewer your dog is. I think a lot of people don't like the metal crates because they look more like a prison but Mylo likes it and it keeps him safe so that's all that bothers me. We have more trouble getting him out of it than getting him into it.

She's gorgeous by the way! I look forward to seeing more photos. I hope I covered everything and that it's of any help. Xox
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 PM
chi lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Name: Danielle
Location: Moved to MO from NY
Posts: 125
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildthemskywards View Post
Your post sounds like mine. I go to say one thing and then I ramble on! It's a good thing though, it shows you're really excited about your puppy! I'll try to get everything but mostly it'll be just my opinion, experience and stuff I've learned from here. I've had 2 chihuahuas in the past but that was growing up so this is the first dog I've had that mine. He's just turned 5 months.
I just realized that there is a random question about weight just thrown in the first paragraph. Twinkie walked on the laptop at one point and things looked a little mixed up, but I didn't catch that. Ohhh, puppies haha..
Your response helped a lot! Sometimes I just need to hear that things are normal, ya know? Mylo is freaking adorable=). Thanks so much for your help!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Name: Amy Jo
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,561
Thanks: 435
Thanked 698 Times in 648 Posts
Default

I start a post all the time and end up asking more than one question because I ramble on and figure out I want to know something else too.

As for the Orijen and how she eats better and such Jaxx is the same way. We had to take Jaxx off of Acana because he was allergic to something in it and so we put him on Orijen. He used to bring his first bite of food (as much as he could fit in his mouth which was usually 5 to 6 pieces) and drop it in front of me and eat. Then he would play for a minute or so then go back and eat the rest of his food. Since we put him on Orijen as soon as I ask if he wants something to eat he runs to his rug in the kitchen and sits and waits until I put the food into his bowl. After I step away he zooms to his bowl and gobbles it all up. He has never done this before with any other food and he has been on several until we started Orijen.

As for the cloth crate compared to a metal crate. It is basically just personal preference. We didn't get Jaxx a cloth crate because he is a very aggressive chewer on his toys (doesn't chew anything else) but I was afraid if he got bored in the crate he would chew the material. I always put a blanket on top of Jaxx's crate to make him feel more secure and keep him a little bit warmer in his crate.

I have sweaters and jackets for Jaxx when it gets cold. He didn't like wearing them at first but I made it fun for him and distracted him while he had a shirt on so that over time he just got used to them. Now he loves them and gets excited every time he sees me go to his clothes. I started out with his harness and just letting him wear it in the house when I was around to watch him. It was light weight and didn't cover all of him so it worked well for us. Then I moved up to a light weight shirt and left it on for a very short time. I increased the time he wore it each time I put it on and now he doesn't even notice them after they are on. It doesn't get real cold here in TX but Jaxx doesn't seem to like the cold and I feel better having clothes on him in the winter.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 PM
chi prince/princess
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 787
Thanks: 16
Thanked 37 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Looks like the folks above covered most of it!

I will say, as far as cats and dogs go, they basically use the exact same body language to communicate opposite things, which can be confusing for a pup who only understands what dog body postures mean.

For instance, a puppy who wants to play will have her ears at half-mast or lower, and usually wags her tail. She might curve her body or playbow. But a cat with ears flat, a hunched back and a swishing tail is saying 'I'm annoyed, leave me alone'.

A cat who wants to be social will stand tall, ears up, tail high, and walk directly forward. But a dog with high ears, a high tail, moving in a straight line is saying 'I'm in charge, respect it'. It's not a playful or friendly gesture, it's an assertion of their higher standing in the pack.

So, I can see how little Twinkie may have her signals crossed when it comes to playing with the cat. Over time, she'll figure it out!
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 PM
chi lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Name: Danielle
Location: Moved to MO from NY
Posts: 125
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith View Post
Looks like the folks above covered most of it!

I will say, as far as cats and dogs go, they basically use the exact same body language to communicate opposite things, which can be confusing for a pup who only understands what dog body postures mean.

For instance, a puppy who wants to play will have her ears at half-mast or lower, and usually wags her tail. She might curve her body or playbow. But a cat with ears flat, a hunched back and a swishing tail is saying 'I'm annoyed, leave me alone'.

A cat who wants to be social will stand tall, ears up, tail high, and walk directly forward. But a dog with high ears, a high tail, moving in a straight line is saying 'I'm in charge, respect it'. It's not a playful or friendly gesture, it's an assertion of their higher standing in the pack.

So, I can see how little Twinkie may have her signals crossed when it comes to playing with the cat. Over time, she'll figure it out!
That's so interesting, thanks so much!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 PM
chi lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Name: Danielle
Location: Moved to MO from NY
Posts: 125
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by intent2smile View Post
I start a post all the time and end up asking more than one question because I ramble on and figure out I want to know something else too.

As for the Orijen and how she eats better and such Jaxx is the same way. We had to take Jaxx off of Acana because he was allergic to something in it and so we put him on Orijen. He used to bring his first bite of food (as much as he could fit in his mouth which was usually 5 to 6 pieces) and drop it in front of me and eat. Then he would play for a minute or so then go back and eat the rest of his food. Since we put him on Orijen as soon as I ask if he wants something to eat he runs to his rug in the kitchen and sits and waits until I put the food into his bowl. After I step away he zooms to his bowl and gobbles it all up. He has never done this before with any other food and he has been on several until we started Orijen.

As for the cloth crate compared to a metal crate. It is basically just personal preference. We didn't get Jaxx a cloth crate because he is a very aggressive chewer on his toys (doesn't chew anything else) but I was afraid if he got bored in the crate he would chew the material. I always put a blanket on top of Jaxx's crate to make him feel more secure and keep him a little bit warmer in his crate.

I have sweaters and jackets for Jaxx when it gets cold. He didn't like wearing them at first but I made it fun for him and distracted him while he had a shirt on so that over time he just got used to them. Now he loves them and gets excited every time he sees me go to his clothes. I started out with his harness and just letting him wear it in the house when I was around to watch him. It was light weight and didn't cover all of him so it worked well for us. Then I moved up to a light weight shirt and left it on for a very short time. I increased the time he wore it each time I put it on and now he doesn't even notice them after they are on. It doesn't get real cold here in TX but Jaxx doesn't seem to like the cold and I feel better having clothes on him in the winter.

I'll start having her wear her harness more, then move up gradually. It's actually a ferret harness because she is so tiny haha, but she's able to walk around in it even though she doesn't seem to enjoy it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Name: Melissa
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 3,471
Thanks: 189
Thanked 289 Times in 271 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrack208 View Post
I just realized that there is a random question about weight just thrown in the first paragraph. Twinkie walked on the laptop at one point and things looked a little mixed up, but I didn't catch that. Ohhh, puppies haha..
Your response helped a lot! Sometimes I just need to hear that things are normal, ya know? Mylo is freaking adorable=). Thanks so much for your help!!
Yep! Mylo does that too. And he has a habit of licking the iPad and then he does it even more when he realises it makes it scroll. Definitely...I freaked out about stuff loads when I first got him and came on here to check things were normal. That's the great thing about this place, it provides reassurance above all else. Don't ever worry about coming on here and asking as many questions as you can think of! Aw...thank you very much. Your pup is beautiful too...I love her colouring.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:03 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum