Honey's Spay - when to do it?! - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Rachel
Location: Shropshire, England
Posts: 1,968
Thanks: 102
Thanked 297 Times in 281 Posts
Default Honey's Spay - when to do it?!

Hi all, hoping you can help with a bit of a problem...

Honey had her first season in September, her spay was booked in with my nice vet for the 16th November - 2 and a half months after her season, which would have been near perfect.

The Vets have just called me saying they need to cancel the operation on that day, my vet has broken his leg and wont be back to work until December! So they asked me to re-arrange for then.

My problem is, i move house on the 8th December, so there will be a lot of upheaval already, and I want Honey to have a nice and calm enviroment when she gets home and for the couple of weeks after that.

I am thinking of booking her in for early January - maybe Friday 4th? Then i can have the weekend with her, in our new home, then maybe a few days in the next week. Only problem i have with that is that its over 4 months down the line from her first season - does this matter?
__________________


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-23-2012, 11:28 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Name: Terri
Location: Rome, GA
Posts: 1,509
Thanks: 81
Thanked 105 Times in 97 Posts
Default

No, it won't matter if it is four months after her last season. The only thing is, sometimes they come into season earlier than expected so there is the slight possibility that she might come into season again before you could have her spayed in January. That is only a slight possibility so in your situation, I would wait until January also.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniGrace For This Useful Post:
Rach_Honey (10-23-2012)
  #3  
Old 10-23-2012, 12:50 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Name: Caitlin
Location: Falun, Sweden
Posts: 3,206
Thanks: 49
Thanked 107 Times in 98 Posts
Default

I would definitely wait until you're done moving and settled in so Honey will be in a stress free environment. She will need to stay calm and relaxed after her spay. If she ends up going in to heat again before January, you're still better off doing it after her second heat rather than doing it while you're busy moving into a new home.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LittleGemma For This Useful Post:
Rach_Honey (10-23-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 10-23-2012, 12:59 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Rachel
Location: Shropshire, England
Posts: 1,968
Thanks: 102
Thanked 297 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Thanks for the help ladies, just needed confirmation i was doing the right thing!
Will re-arrange for January x
__________________


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Name: Terri
Location: Rome, GA
Posts: 1,509
Thanks: 81
Thanked 105 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGemma View Post
I would definitely wait until you're done moving and settled in so Honey will be in a stress free environment. She will need to stay calm and relaxed after her spay. If she ends up going in to heat again before January, you're still better off doing it after her second heat rather than doing it while you're busy moving into a new home.
Normally I would agree with you on that, but having a female dog spayed helps cut down on the incidence of breast cancer later. Having the spay done before the first heat reduces breast cancer the most, having it done before the second heat still reduces it some and there is virtually no effect if done after the second heat. Given that, I would definitely try to get the spay done prior to the second heat.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-2012, 04:19 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Name: Terri
Location: Rome, GA
Posts: 1,509
Thanks: 81
Thanked 105 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Oh, Rachel, I also meant to tell you I think Honey is beautiful! I love her pictures in your siggy!
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-23-2012, 04:39 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Name: Caitlin
Location: Falun, Sweden
Posts: 3,206
Thanks: 49
Thanked 107 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniGrace View Post
Normally I would agree with you on that, but having a female dog spayed helps cut down on the incidence of breast cancer later. Having the spay done before the first heat reduces breast cancer the most, having it done before the second heat still reduces it some and there is virtually no effect if done after the second heat. Given that, I would definitely try to get the spay done prior to the second heat.
My post didn't come out the way I meant it. I know the risk is greater after the second heat. It is not pointless, though. The risk jumps from around 8% after the first heat to 25% after the second heat. After the third heat, there is little to close to no effect. I was saying I would definitely wait until the moving situation is done rather than rushing into it in fear of her going into her second heat. I would not say to wait until after her second heat for no reason, but IF she happens to have her second heat by January, then there's nothing to do about it. Unless Rachel would consider finding a different vet, she's kind of stuck.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I would not want to bring my girl home into a stressful environment after her spay. If I were worried about her coming into heat before being able to schedule the spay, I'd find another vet.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-23-2012, 07:35 PM
BlueJax's Avatar
chi prince/princess
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Name: Jacqueline
Location: California
Posts: 622
Thanks: 20
Thanked 90 Times in 86 Posts
Default

I'd personally look around for another trusted vet. Did your vet find a replacement vet to sub for him? I wouldn't want to risk a second cycle, however most likely it would take her longer than 4 months to go into her second one.
__________________

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:52 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum