Please be careful
Copied this from a rescue site
PLEASE READ ALL!! Warning to all dog owners. I want to warn everyone as I work as a dog trainer and have recieved some awful news. A little chihuahua x russian toy terrier Lakshmi has sadly passed away before she was even 8 months old. I recieved an email from them and need to share it far and wide to let other owners know as this could happen to anyone. I have tried to cut down email for everyone to see rather than me reexplain it. Here it is....
Our dear little
Lakshmi died on Monday night. Over the weekend, she bit into one of those
oxygen absorber sachets that keep food fresh, but it turned out to contain
powdered iron. Although we managed to get the sachet away, even the tiny
amount she'd ingested was enough to damage her gut and liver. The vets did
everything they could but after a few days of being very ill and on a drip,
she couldn't keep fighting.
This was an awful, stupid accident, but we feel very responsible. We acted too late. We looked on the internet and found the usual welter of
contradictory opinions. We read about iron being toxic, but as most of the articles said that these sachets usually contained other, less harmful
substances such as charcoal, we assumed everything would be okay - as did the emergency vet we spoke to at one point.Still, we shouldn't have taken any of this on trust - especially not stuff on the internet. *A simple test - running a fridge magnet over the contents would have determined that it contained iron.Had we known that, we could
have made sure the vet make her vomit up whatever she'd swallowed before it
reached her gut. That might possibly have saved her life. Lakshmi was our first dog, and died before she was even 8 months old. We're heartbroken.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL!
THESE SACHETS ARE IN ALOT OF STUFF WE BUY FOR OUR DOGS. MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT INGEST THEM. EVEN IF YOUR UNSURE GO STRAIGHT TO YOUR VETS. R.I.P. LAKSHMI. HOPE YOUR HAPPY RUNNING AROUND AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE. Xx