Originally Posted by Dahlia`s MaMa
Tracy do you feel this has helped
Brody deal more easily with his health issues:
IE stress levels and eye issues?
I'm not 100% sure that it helped with his eye issues. Detached retinas are just that - detached. I don't know if vitamin/mineral support can really help them reattach? It's possible that they give the body enough support that it can help heal itself though. Very interesting question!
The positives I have seen from Nupro ....
1. Vitamin/mineral support since he is on a prey model diet. I feel like the Nupro fills in the blanks just in case there is a deficiency. It's just a little bit of insurance. Probably not needed, but does put my mind at ease!
2. Coat and skin support - I noticed a HUGE difference in his skin/coat when I started him on Nupro as a puppy. He had dry skin with dandruff. Since being on Nupro, he's never had any further dry skin or dandruff.
3. Pigmentation issues. Some people feel that kelp helps with pigment issues. (Coat, nose, skin, foot pads) Some trace these issues to a lack of iodine in the diet. Nupro contains kelp and I haven't seen any pigment issues at all with Brody. His coat is BLACK with no hint of red.
4. Probiotic support. It contains enzymes which can help with digestive issues and/or gas.
5. Parasite repellant. Nupro contains garlic and is heavy in the B vitamins. some people think this is a natural flea repellant. A healthy dog is not attractive to parasites. Brody has never had a flea problem, even when around other dogs that have! He also has consistently had negative stool checks for worms. Does that have anything to do with Nupro? Not sure, but it sure doesn't hurt.
As an overall vitamin/mineral supplement - I think it's hard to beat Nupro. I know a lot of dog show people who use it and think it gives them that "extra edge" over competitors. The flaxseed and bee pollen along with the kelp help to grow fabulous coats. I just know that it works.
Here is more info and the ingredients for anyone who is interested ....
DESICCATED LIVER:The ultimate in palatability!
The fresh, natural flavor of real liver is wonderful for the finicky eater! Supplies iron and B vitamins.
Just add water to make a Grrreat Gravy that Dogs Crave!
NORWEGIAN KELP:A natural seaweed - A rich source of trace minerals including iodine, used for proper glandular function and metabolism. An excellent source of vitamins A, B1, B2, C, and E. These vitamins are beneficial for maintaining proper health and are responsible for the growth of bones, a healthy heart rate, a sound central nervous system, and helping muscles stay firm and strong. Norwegian kelp grows deep in the ocean, mostly in cold waters, so it contains valuable nutrients from the ocean floor. Aside from nourishing the glands, it is beneficial for overall good health. Supports healthy pigmentation and coat highlights.
BEE POLLEN:One of natureís healthiest and most powerful "super-foods", Bee Pollen contains an incredible array of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and enzymes. One of the most nutritionally complete natural substances found on earth. Supports a healthy immune system. Keeps healthy hormones in balance. Offers nutritional support for pets with seasonal allergies.
IMPORTED YEAST CULTURE:Helps maintain a full and healthy coat which may minimize the occurrence of excessive shedding and itchy, dry skin. Provides proteins, zinc and biotin. Best source of B vitamins. Most companies use cheaper brewers yeast which can be a combination of hops, corn, grains, wheat, etc., whatever comes from the brewery. Many animals have grain allergies, and brewers yeast may further aggravate an allergy condition. With nutritional yeast cultures, grown on sugar beets, a veggie source, NO grains are present at all. Something to think about when reading ingredient labels.
FLAXSEED :Provides essential omega fatty acids. Most absorbable vegetable fatty acid for the canine. Rich in omega 3 fatty acids, alpha-linolenic acid, fiber and lignans. Helps maintain healthy, shiny fur and soft skin.
LECITHIN: A rich source of choline, required by the body to make acetylcholine, is a neurotransmitter essential for normal healthy nerve and brain function. Supports healthy liver function.
GARLIC CONCENTRATE:Wonderful ingredient that does so much for the body. Garlic contains allicin, a powerful antioxidant. Supports a healthy immune and cardiovascular system.
LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS:Promotes healthy digestion which may reduce the occurrence of flatulence. Because NUPRO is in a powdered form and not from concentrate, it is easily assimilated into the system and digested with the dogís food. There is no sense in giving an animal this superior product if they donít digest it properly. Also promotes friendly bacteria in intestinal tract.
CALCIUM CITRATE: Calcium is best absorbed in an acidic environment, hence calcium citrate is the best absorbed supplemental form of calcium---it does not require extra stomach acid for absorption. Intended to provide nutritive support for healthy bones, teeth and nerve function.