Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums

Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums (https://www.chihuahua-people.com/index.php)
-   Other Pets (https://www.chihuahua-people.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Speaking of rattlesnakes! (https://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=155570)

lulu'smom 05-25-2014 10:59 PM

Speaking of rattlesnakes!
 
My daughter-in-law has a Yorkie that is hers, but when she and my son got married last October, the apartment they were moving to didn't allow pets, so she left her with her parents who also have two other Yorkies. Tiny Belle is 5 years old, or I should say was. They live in what I consider the country--very secluded/wooded area on a lot of land. Yesterday morning my DIL's mom let the dogs all out to potty, and in just a little bit called them all to come back in. All of them came except Tiny Belle. They called and called. They looked around, but didn't see her anywhere. In a little bit, here she came, but her head was very bloody. Jane (DIL's mom) washed her head off to see what had happened, and she had two puncture wounds--one right at the base of her eye and one at the side of her head. She was almost dead at the time, and Jane really didn't know how she even made it back to the house except through shear rote. My DIL had such a meltdown that they didn't rush her to the vet when they found her that they took her that they took her on, but she died on the way--like right when they got there. The vet said she doubted she would have lived through the bite anywhere on her body as tiny as she was, but on her head she didn't stand a chance--the vet actually cried for her. I thought that was touching. My DIL was upset to say the least. Yesterday was pretty sad.

This is a huge fear for me where we live. It's bad enough I watch where I walk in my yard for snake, I am terrified Lulu is going to get bit. I know I told ya'll before about getting in my car to drive to the neighbor down the street a couple of years ago. I was gone literally 1 minute. When I came back there was a snake right where my car had been parked.

I always let Lulu go with me to put the garbage in the can outside. I have stopped doing that since it's summer because she doesn't always stay right beside me--OK, it's our yard. But my can is right beside my motorhome, and the other day hubby and my son saw a snake crawl under the motorhome. I can't take a chance Lulu will find a snake in the yard. We only go on leashed walks now.

doginthedesert 05-25-2014 11:34 PM

Wow, that's scarry! I used to worry a lot about snakes (like a LOT) but now I try to look at it like this- I just have to take some risks to live our lives, and while I am carefull I try not to limit what we do out of fear. Living our life in a sterile padded room would be just as bad for a dog (in my opinion) as going early while doing something they enjoy. There is a middle ground between jumping in snake pits and never leaving the house that we all have to find. We get out, we romp in the wilderness and we have a good time while being carefull. My dogs would rather have their active life then be stuck home and the whole world is pretty dangerous really. So be careful but don't drive yourself nuts!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Zorana1125 05-25-2014 11:39 PM

Oh Tina! I'm so sorry to hear that! Thank God we don't have snakes here, I can't imagine how scary that would be ! I feel so bad for Tiny Belle, may she rest in peace.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Evelyn 05-26-2014 12:12 AM

So sad , my nightmare, we live in FL. There was a black snake in my yard today and I didn't see it until, sweet Holly walked up to it, that God it left fast as I screamed to her.

That is just to sad.

lulu'smom 05-26-2014 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doginthedesert (Post 2001706)
Wow, that's scarry! I used to worry a lot about snakes (like a LOT) but now I try to look at it like this- I just have to take some risks to live our lives, and while I am carefull I try not to limit what we do out of fear. Living our life in a sterile padded room would be just as bad for a dog (in my opinion) as going early while doing something they enjoy. There is a middle ground between jumping in snake pits and never leaving the house that we all have to find. We get out, we romp in the wilderness and we have a good time while being carefull. My dogs would rather have their active life then be stuck home and the whole world is pretty dangerous really. So be careful but don't drive yourself nuts!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

You are so right, Annie! And I'm going to say something that's really going to make me seem nuts!! My two boys have been driving dragsters since they were 15 years old. They went down the track for the first time on a Mother's Day. LOL They are 22 years old now, and have raced all these years at so many tracks among professionals. They will go the 1/8 of the mile in 6 seconds at 107 mph, and frankly this particular dragstar is one of the slower ones they have driven. Once Chase took off on the starting line, and his tire came off. Thank the Lord I was not there that night to see that in person, nor did I see the night he went through the finish line sideways because he hit an oil patch. People have asked me repeatedly how do I let my children do that, and I honestly can't say that I have an irrational fear of them wrecking and/or dying. I know that my over-protection of Lulu is irrational and most likely stems from her being my first dog and having a dog being relatively new to me. Whatever it is...thank you for the reality check--I really need it!!

doginthedesert 05-26-2014 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulu'smom (Post 2001810)
You are so right, Annie! And I'm going to say something that's really going to make me seem nuts!! My two boys have been driving dragsters since they were 15 years old. They went down the track for the first time on a Mother's Day. LOL They are 22 years old now, and have raced all these years at so many tracks among professionals. They will go the 1/8 of the mile in 6 seconds at 107 mph, and frankly this particular dragstar is one of the slower ones they have driven. Once Chase took off on the starting line, and his tire came off. Thank the Lord I was not there that night to see that in person, nor did I see the night he went through the finish line sideways because he hit an oil patch. People have asked me repeatedly how do I let my children do that, and I honestly can't say that I have an irrational fear of them wrecking and/or dying. I know that my over-protection of Lulu is irrational and most likely stems from her being my first dog and having a dog being relatively new to me. Whatever it is...thank you for the reality check--I really need it!!

I am very much the kind of person that can get irrationally worried about things, so I have to try hard to not get obsessive. I realized not far into my time owning dogs that I just had to accept some danger and move forward. it is a perfect example you have there with your boys! Not sure I would want to watch anyone I cared about doing that though- it might be testing my nerves a little too much!

lulu'smom 05-26-2014 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorana1125 (Post 2001722)
Oh Tina! I'm so sorry to hear that! Thank God we don't have snakes here, I can't imagine how scary that would be ! I feel so bad for Tiny Belle, may she rest in peace.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Thank you, Zorana. I'm thankful you don't have to worry about snakes with your wonderful bunch. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evelyn (Post 2001778)
So sad , my nightmare, we live in FL. There was a black snake in my yard today and I didn't see it until, sweet Holly walked up to it, that God it left fast as I screamed to her.

That is just to sad.

Wow!! Evelyn, that would have scared me to death!! My mom was telling me that many, many years ago they were on vacation in the mountain with some friends that also had a Yorkie. They were staying in a campground, and their Yorkie was also bit by a snake and died. I don't know what kind of snake--all I know is it's the kind that killed a Yorkie. :(

woodard2009 05-26-2014 12:40 AM

Aw, how sad!! And very scary. So sorry Tina for your DIL.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Chihuahua People 2004-2009