Adopted dog scared of old dog HELP! - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Off-Topic > Other Pets

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Shadow's Mammy's's Avatar
chi addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Edel & Mitch
Location: Limerick Ireland
Posts: 275
Thanks: 25
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Exclamation Adopted dog scared of old dog HELP!

Hey everyone,
We are back again lol we keep leaving and coming back but heeeyyyyyy

Question we have a westie who is 11 and recently adopted a shih tzu who is 4-5 and of course we have our Chi shadow.

shadow is ok with him playing little growling but we correct her.

my qustion i why is out shih tzu nucks scared of our westie jessie? he won't go near her or if she goes over looking to play with him tail wagging and everything he runs away?

anyone know why this happens and anything we can do to help them be friends?
Jessie starts crying when Nucks runs away as she just wants to be friends?
__________________
SHADOW





Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-20-2016, 08:11 PM
chi person
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 37
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I would start with the new dog in a kennel and have the scared dog in the room with him but at a distance that the scared dog is feeling comfortable. Every time the scared dog looks at the new dog reward with a treat. Do this over a series of days. slowly moving closer to the kennel as the scared dog is ok with it. Carry treats with you and if you see them interact calmly give them both a treat. Soon the scared dog will learn that the new dog means yummy things happen and is actually a good thing and not something to be afraid of.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Shadow's Mammy's's Avatar
chi addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Edel & Mitch
Location: Limerick Ireland
Posts: 275
Thanks: 25
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Hey its the new dog that's scared of our older dog, we have been praising Nucky when he looks at Jess or lets her near we are like boy best boy!

We had play dates and stuff etc before we took him, but we needed to take him asap due to his situation his old owner my brother his son has allergy's and they couldn't keep him. So we didn't have enough time to have pay dates ec.

Should we bump up the praise and use treats?
__________________
SHADOW





Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 03-20-2016, 08:43 PM
chi person
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 37
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow's Mammy's View Post
Hey its the new dog that's scared of our older dog, we have been praising Nucky when he looks at Jess or lets her near we are like boy best boy!

We had play dates and stuff etc before we took him, but we needed to take him asap due to his situation his old owner my brother his son has allergy's and they couldn't keep him. So we didn't have enough time to have pay dates ec.

Should we bump up the praise and use treats?

Most defiantly.

Now having said that do these training sessions in short spurts other wise just ignore them they will work it out themselves.

Ex: have a 10 minute exercise where you treat the scared dog for looking at the other dog. At the end of 10 minutes say 'all done' (or what ever marks the end of training) then go do what you do and let them run together they will work it out. I did that with my GSD and my Pom. they get along great now.


Also remember you don't like everyone you meet. dogs don't have to like everyone they meet. But I do expect them to live peaceably in the house. which means if they want to avoid the other dog that's fine but I better not hear any fights.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Shadow's Mammy's's Avatar
chi addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Edel & Mitch
Location: Limerick Ireland
Posts: 275
Thanks: 25
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytetears View Post
Most defiantly.

Now having said that do these training sessions in short spurts other wise just ignore them they will work it out themselves.

Ex: have a 10 minute exercise where you treat the scared dog for looking at the other dog. At the end of 10 minutes say 'all done' (or what ever marks the end of training) then go do what you do and let them run together they will work it out. I did that with my GSD and my Pom. they get along great now.


Also remember you don't like everyone you meet. dogs don't have to like everyone they meet. But I do expect them to live peaceably in the house. which means if they want to avoid the other dog that's fine but I better not hear any fights.


Oh thank you very much will definitely try this method of training.
Nucky (the scared dog) just stays away from Jess and avoids her. He will take a good sniff if she is not looking or asleep and also when they are getting a treats he will stand next to her quite close so he's just being odd I think and needs to settle in.
__________________
SHADOW





Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:24 AM
Wicked Pixie's Avatar
Administrator
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Name: Stella
Location: Frome, Somerset, UK
Posts: 5,713
Thanks: 230
Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,262 Posts
Default

Have you tried walking them together?
It is a great way to bond new dogs, neutral territory and space really help.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2016, 09:22 AM
Shadow's Mammy's's Avatar
chi addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Edel & Mitch
Location: Limerick Ireland
Posts: 275
Thanks: 25
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Pixie View Post
Have you tried walking them together?
It is a great way to bond new dogs, neutral territory and space really help.
No I havn't yet actually maybe I'll Try that. Hopefully that will help alot. Thank you
__________________
SHADOW





Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-21-2016, 08:42 PM
chi person
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 37
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Walking together is a wonderful idea


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:11 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum