Possible Allergies? - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Diet and Nutrition > Pre Made Food

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2012, 06:49 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Name: Lindsay
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,411
Thanks: 37
Thanked 160 Times in 149 Posts
Default Possible Allergies?

So, Chloe had a few places on her fur that were a little thin, but they've just gotten worse since we've had her. Her eyes also seem to water a lot. It could be allergies, so I was thinking about switching her to a grain free food to see if that helps. She eats Fromm Family Puppy right now. Fromm makes some grain free foods, but I am assuming they are for adults right? She really likes Fromm so I would like to keep her on that if it's possible. Would I be able to give her the grain free ones? If not what could I give her that is suitable for puppies and is still grain free? She's 12 weeks by the way.

Thanks everyone!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-20-2012, 07:18 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Name: Jenn
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,191
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

My holly has seasonal allergies. Sneezing and her eyes ended up getting infected because she was rubbing them with her paws. I do saline wash on her eyes after she comes in hers were worse when the pine pollen came here in GA. She started getting a bit watery again the past week so i have started washing her eyes with the saline after going out again so far no infections.
__________________
~Jenn~

~Siggy compliments of Caitlin aka LittleGemma~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Name: T
Posts: 2,183
Thanks: 69
Thanked 88 Times in 85 Posts
Default

Fromm bags say "all life stages" so that would lead me to believe it's ok for a puppy. Still though, I would ask the vet. At 12 weeks, I would really ask the vet.

I fed Miya specifically puppy food until she was about 6 months. I know there are some great grain free options out there. Miya itches a lot and has eye boogers, I thought it was her food, so we tried lots of grain frees. Didn't help. I finally decided to give raw a try. We've gotten several skin tests done too, I'm really starting to think it's just bad seasonal allergies. The reason being is that benadryl DOES help and if it were a food allergy, benadryl wouldn't made a difference (according to her vet)

Not saying that is true for Chloe, just some food for thought hope her allergies get better if that's what is.

Last edited by teetee; 05-20-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 05-20-2012, 09:00 PM
lulu'smom's Avatar
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Name: Tina
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,186
Thanks: 647
Thanked 940 Times in 878 Posts
Default

I would agree that if it says "all life stages" you should be fine to feed it. If you like Fromm and want to go with a grain-free Fromm that is "all life stages" I think what you have to do for puppies is just feed them more food than older dogs. You can ask your vet, but in my personal experience (and I mean my previous vet) some vets tend to promote certain brands of food and are not familiar with good 5 star dog food as you would expect them to be. I would definitely change the food because that can only be good for her to go grain-free, but keep in mind it could be an environmental allergy and they are extremely hard to pinpoint. Sometimes you just have to treat the symptoms and may not find out the cause.
__________________
Life is better because I have a friend like you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2012, 01:04 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Name: Lindsay
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,411
Thanks: 37
Thanked 160 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu'smom View Post
I would agree that if it says "all life stages" you should be fine to feed it. If you like Fromm and want to go with a grain-free Fromm that is "all life stages" I think what you have to do for puppies is just feed them more food than older dogs. You can ask your vet, but in my personal experience (and I mean my previous vet) some vets tend to promote certain brands of food and are not familiar with good 5 star dog food as you would expect them to be. I would definitely change the food because that can only be good for her to go grain-free, but keep in mind it could be an environmental allergy and they are extremely hard to pinpoint. Sometimes you just have to treat the symptoms and may not find out the cause.
Thank you! Yeah I really like her vet, but the vet pushes Science Diet, so I don't really expect him to know much about 5 star foods. I could be way off, but since I've heard a lot about coat issues being related to food then I hope switching to grain free will help. Her coat thinning seems to be way more of an issue than her eyes watering. She doesn't have any gunk in her eyes or anything.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Name: Lindsay
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,411
Thanks: 37
Thanked 160 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
Fromm bags say "all life stages" so that would lead me to believe it's ok for a puppy. Still though, I would ask the vet. At 12 weeks, I would really ask the vet.

I fed Miya specifically puppy food until she was about 6 months. I know there are some great grain free options out there. Miya itches a lot and has eye boogers, I thought it was her food, so we tried lots of grain frees. Didn't help. I finally decided to give raw a try. We've gotten several skin tests done too, I'm really starting to think it's just bad seasonal allergies. The reason being is that benadryl DOES help and if it were a food allergy, benadryl wouldn't made a difference (according to her vet)

Not saying that is true for Chloe, just some food for thought hope her allergies get better if that's what is.

Thank you! She was itching and I gave her some benadryl one time. I really wasn't sure if it helped or not. I might have to try it again. We are going to the vet on Wednesday, but like I said in the last post, he's big on pushing Science Diet, so we'll see what he says.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Wicked Pixie's Avatar
Administrator
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Name: Stella
Location: Frome, Somerset, UK
Posts: 5,713
Thanks: 230
Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,261 Posts
Default

My vets push Science diet too, it is so annoying, especially when they know so little about nutrition.
The foods most likely to cause allergies are wheat, soya, beef and milk. So as long as your brand doesn't contain these, I would say give it a go and see how she does. Grain free certainly won't hurt.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-21-2012, 02:48 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Name: Lindsay
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,411
Thanks: 37
Thanked 160 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Pixie View Post
My vets push Science diet too, it is so annoying, especially when they know so little about nutrition.
The foods most likely to cause allergies are wheat, soya, beef and milk. So as long as your brand doesn't contain these, I would say give it a go and see how she does. Grain free certainly won't hurt.
I don't understand why they push terrible food so much. I mean I'm sure they are smart people, and it isn't that hard to do a little research.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum