Calling all RAW feeders for RAW newbie help - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums
 
Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums


Chihuahua-People.com is the premier Chihuahua Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Go Back   Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums > Chihuahuas > Chihuahua Diet and Nutrition > Raw Food

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2014, 05:20 AM
chi lover
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Name: Lori
Posts: 105
Thanks: 35
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default Calling all RAW feeders for RAW newbie help

So I've been through a lot of posts from this section and they've been useful but I do have a few questions. I've never feed raw and I want to do it the way it's supposed to be done I can actually relate to one of the posts going around on the health treads (from chilover90). And I read about how raw could/is the best for him there so here I am

I'm currently feeding Earthborn Primitive. And I tried to get some of those pre made raw foods but it's imposible to get them here and the shipping is hella expensive. so we're going FULLY RAW

Thanks for the visual raw help, it certainly does help a lot!

Now with the questions:

Are you supposed to add something else to the food? Any vitamins or anything else?

Also do you feed the same menu every week? Like every monday is meat mondey and Wednesdays are chicken day? Or do you have any receipts you can share?

Where do you buy the food from? Does it have to be fresh or can it be from the supermarket like those wallmart meats that come in trays? or should I buy it directly from a butchery?

And my baby has had gastric and grain/starch aka itchy pet problems since he was born so the food topic has always been a point of debate with the vet, he will always go for hill's and all the science diet formulas but i will forever disagree with him. So if any of you has a chi with the same problem or knows about the subject I will be more than willing to listen to what you have to say, read experiences and maybe share menus

He weights about 7.3 pounds. He's under meds prerty much permanently unless raw help us fix his problem (lansoprazole and sucrate) just in case this info could help

I really want the best for my baby so any help will be very appreciated!



Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by kurtsie; 05-17-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Wicked Pixie's Avatar
Administrator
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Name: Stella
Location: Frome, Somerset, UK
Posts: 5,713
Thanks: 230
Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,262 Posts
Default

There are lots of different ways to feed raw, and different opinions on what is best. most of us here feed 'prey model raw', sometimes known as 'Frankenprey'.
The best way to ensure you are feeding everything your dog needs is to feed as wide a variety of meats as possible. I certainly don't feed the same things every week, they get a lot more variety than that.
Even feeding the same part from different animals is beneficial, for example beef liver has a different nutrient profile to chicken livers.
Obviously to begin with you only feed a small variety as it is important to introduce everything slowly, but variety is what you should ultimately be aiming for.
I regularly feed beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, sprats, white fish, eggs, tripe hearts from ox, pig, lamb and chickens. I also add rabbit, venison, duck, other game birds (pigeon, quail, pheasant) when I can get them and occasionally goat, and a pre-made complete food, Nutriment. (For when I am in a rush lol.)
I try and vary bones from birds and bones from mammals, my regular boney meals are chicken, lamb ribs and necks, pork ribs and tails, and (less frequently) rabbit portions.
For organs i feed all types of liver (including venison) lambs or pigs kidneys, and occasionally pancreas,thymus and spleen.
The only supplements I add are fish oil and coconut oil. They aren't strictly necessary but can provide the omegas that may be lacking in commercially reared meat. If I only fed grass reared, organic meat I wouldn't bother. I also feed chicken feet and lambs trachea specifically for their glucosamine and chondroitin content (for healthy joints) and pumpkin seeds which are a natural wormer.
You can buy meat from the supermarket as long as it isn't enhanced with sodium. I get most of mine from the butchers and farm shop. It is worth making friends with your butcher as he will be able to get certain items for you (chicken necks or carcasses, gizzards, bones etc) that are hard to find in regular shops, and often they are cheap or free.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wicked Pixie For This Useful Post:
I<3Charlie-chi (05-25-2014), kurtsie (05-20-2014)
  #3  
Old 05-17-2014, 11:53 AM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Name: Lisa
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,436
Thanks: 228
Thanked 451 Times in 420 Posts
Default

Brody's mom is the raw expert and hopefully can help answer any questions. I also have a severely allergic chi. I feed a combination of real raw and store bought raw plus supplements. I'm so glad you are going raw to help your baby. It truly does make a difference. Allergies are not always 100% food related. Many chis suffer from environmental allergies and the wrong foods can aggrevate the over-loaded immune system. I feed raw beef for one meal and a premade dehydrated raw for the second meal like Stella & Chewys Rabbit or Primal Duck. I supplement everyday with Ester-C, vitamin E, coconut oil and ACV a couple times a week. I also use an antihistamine (Benedryl or Antronex). I also add a little Greek Yogurt once and a while. Rubbing coconut oil on your chi will help to ease the itchy skin. My chi is very allergic to fleas, but I don't use any meds. I keep a close eye on them. I buy my meats from the supermarket and usually buy what's on sale. I try to get organic. I also dehydrate her treats like beef liver and tripe. The raw section is a very handy tool to help and the more you read it, the more info you'll get from it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I'm not the pro here. Lol
__________________



[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodard2009 For This Useful Post:
kurtsie (05-20-2014)
 
  #4  
Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 PM
chi lover
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Name: Lori
Posts: 105
Thanks: 35
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default Brody's mom where are you???!!!

Brody's mom where are you???!!! lol

Thanks for your replies. Definitely answered many of my doubts. I understand the importance of variety. My baby gets bored from eating the same kibble so I see why he would get borred of eating the same thing each week. I thought pork was bad for them! Lol

Do you think that making a test for food allergies could be good? I want to prevent any reaction to the food.

I'm dealing with a picky eater though lol. I started already with the coconut oil cause I read all the benefits it brings. I've read must chis on here instantly love it but it's not the case with mine. He loves fish oil though!

I took him to the vet yesterday for his gastric/acid reflux routine check and he had a panic attack between yesterday and today. He also had diarrhea and blood on his stool :S he's absolutely terrified of the vet and of being alone. Thank God he didn't threw up! All the anxiety is what developed the gastritis/acid reflux in the first place.
I mentioned the vet about going for raw food and he said it was not the best for my chi, that I should go for a lamb and rice kibble diet. He said that raw and chis with gastric/acid reflux problems was definitely a no go. I would like to know if any of you have a similar case or knows someone with a dog with anxiety and gastric/acid reflux problems to see if raw is really not good for him and to help me deal with this anxiety problem.

He's been doing the "chihuahua scream of death". I feel so bad when he's doing it it makes me nervous too... I don't know if he's in pain or if he's just trying to call for my attention.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by kurtsie; 05-24-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2014, 10:37 AM
I<3Charlie-chi's Avatar
chi prince/princess
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Name: Mel
Location: Uk
Posts: 689
Thanks: 253
Thanked 96 Times in 94 Posts
Default

I didn't know about the benefits of pumpkin seeds! Is it best to give a few everyday or give more say once a week? Do you feed them whole or grind them and sprinkle on food? X
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2014, 12:59 PM
MMS MMS is offline
chi king/queen
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Name: Marty
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 864
Thanks: 155
Thanked 235 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsie View Post

Now with the questions:

Are you supposed to add something else to the food? Any vitamins or anything else? I don't supplement with vitamins. On the few days a month that I feed ground I add in yogurt (for digestive balance for my lab), garlic (for parasite repulsion), Apple Cider Vinegar (for pH balance), Diatomaceous Earth (for trace minerals), ground fennel seed (for inflammation) and egg.

Also do you feed the same menu every week? Like every monday is meat mondey and Wednesdays are chicken day? Or do you have any receipts you can share? Not even close. I just pull whatever I grab out of the freezer and that's what they get. Whatever it is.

Where do you buy the food from? Does it have to be fresh or can it be from the supermarket like those wallmart meats that come in trays? or should I buy it directly from a butchery? I get a lot from craigslist, tbh - mostly from local farmers or hunters cleaning out their freezers to make room for this year's harvest. I also buy from the grocery store when I find them needing more bone or on the rare occasion we run out (about once per year) but that gets really expensive, and I try to avoid it at all cost.

And my baby has had gastric and grain/starch aka itchy pet problems since he was born so the food topic has always been a point of debate with the vet, he will always go for hill's and all the science diet formulas but i will forever disagree with him. So if any of you has a chi with the same problem or knows about the subject I will be more than willing to listen to what you have to say, read experiences and maybe share menus

He weights about 7.3 pounds. He's under meds prerty much permanently unless raw help us fix his problem (lansoprazole and sucrate) just in case this info could help
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsie View Post
Brody's mom where are you???!!! lol

Thanks for your replies. Definitely answered many of my doubts. I understand the importance of variety. My baby gets bored from eating the same kibble so I see why he would get borred of eating the same thing each week. I thought pork was bad for them! Lol

Do you think that making a test for food allergies could be good? I want to prevent any reaction to the food. You pretty much will be doing this as you start out on raw, by starting with a single protein and adding in new slowly as you go, you can watch for allergies. Just don't give ANYTHING else during that time so you can be sure what is causing the reaction (ie no treats)

I'm dealing with a picky eater though lol. I started already with the coconut oil cause I read all the benefits it brings. I've read must chis on here instantly love it but it's not the case with mine. He loves fish oil though!

I took him to the vet yesterday for his gastric/acid reflux routine check and he had a panic attack between yesterday and today. He also had diarrhea and blood on his stool :S he's absolutely terrified of the vet and of being alone. Thank God he didn't threw up! All the anxiety is what developed the gastritis/acid reflux in the first place.
I mentioned the vet about going for raw food and he said it was not the best for my chi, that I should go for a lamb and rice kibble diet. He said that raw and chis with gastric/acid reflux problems was definitely a no go. I would like to know if any of you have a similar case or knows someone with a dog with anxiety and gastric/acid reflux problems to see if raw is really not good for him and to help me deal with this anxiety problem. Most vets don't really know a whole lot about nutrition, just that they should push the "big 3 kibbles," which are all pretty crappy, tbh. Remember that this is your dog, and it's YOUR responsibility to make the right choices for you and your family.
My lab was diagnosed with "gastroenteritis" and "liver issues" (the vet wouldn't say hepatitus, but technically that's what she has, her liver and intestines get inflamed when she's overly stressed... which is a lot of the time, since she's fence and leash reactive and hyper as all get out (even for an 8 yr old lab). I was given sucralfate to coat her stomach, and probiotics to help with digestion. I used the sucralfate for 3 days until the symptoms dissipated and continued with the pros until they were gone. Now I make sure I remove the skin and any excess fat from anything she gets, and it has really helped a lot, as has adding in yogurt with live culture.

Since switching to PMR my lab mix (who is ~11) no longer gets hot spots, he no longer tests positive for lyme disease and he acts like a puppy more often than not. His joints don't bother him like they did when he was on kibble, and he doesn't go days without eating because he's tired of eating the same. thing. every. day.
My choc lab (~8 yrs old, we're guessing) no longer gets bi-monthly ear infections like she use to (she's had 1 since we switched to raw 4 years ago). While she has the neurological and gastric issues listed above, they are much more easily managed since the switch to raw. Her flare ups happen less often, and clear up far more quickly than they did while on kibble.
My chi mix, well, she's always been raw fed, with a bit of kibble thrown in here or there when times got rough. And she's only 2, and she'll eat just about anything. And that's my commercial for raw...
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2014, 08:33 PM
chi god/godess
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Name: Annie
Location: Nevada
Posts: 2,050
Thanks: 70
Thanked 541 Times in 419 Posts
Default

You got a lot of good answers but I will put my 2 cents in to as a long time prey model raw-ish feeder. I feed pretty much prey model but also add 5-10% veggies to their diet. I have access to a lot of fresh, local produce and I think it works for my guys, but it is not nessicary. Straight up prey model also works for a lot of people.

Now with the questions:

Are you supposed to add something else to the food? Any vitamins or anything else?

I add fish oil and only when I am feeding commercial meat. I get a lot of local pastured stuff and I don't add fish oil on those days. I also add coconut oil every so often and my chi with LP is on a manganese supplement we get from our vet that has really been helping her with that, along with glucosamine/msm/condroitin. That I only add to hers though, Kerri- my healthy chi doesn't get any of the joint supplements. When I first started I used a multi vitamin for dogs called Dogzymes, but I don't think it is necessary.

Also do you feed the same menu every week? Like every monday is meat mondey and Wednesdays are chicken day? Or do you have any receipts you can share?

I feed whatever I have. Chicken, beef, game, rabbit, pork in whatever order I pull it out of the freezer! But if you want to feed on a schedule because it helps you that would be fine too.

Where do you buy the food from? Does it have to be fresh or can it be from the supermarket like those wallmart meats that come in trays? or should I buy it directly from a butchery?


Walmart is actually great around here because they have a lot of ethnic meats, organs and at least in my area their chicken fryers don't have any added sodium (but check, it is different everywhere). I actually get most of my meat from local farmers, and I just bought a whole cow for the family so they are getting a lot of that. I get my chicken parts usually from safeway or costco when I need them for extra bone. It is fine to get it from anyplace that sells meat as long as it is not enhanced with sodium or anything like that.

And my baby has had gastric and grain/starch aka itchy pet problems since he was born so the food topic has always been a point of debate with the vet, he will always go for hill's and all the science diet formulas but i will forever disagree with him. So if any of you has a chi with the same problem or knows about the subject I will be more than willing to listen to what you have to say, read experiences and maybe share menus


My Copley had stomach issues constantly before we went to raw, we were at the vet constantly, but they never really could give a good diagnosis. Now after about 4 years on raw he can eat anything. I went slow, just chicken for several weeks (as in no treats or supplements or anything, just chicken) and then added other stuff in slowly. That dog has a stomach of steel at this point. Raw is not a cure all, but if the problem is just that they can't handle the kibble then you will be in good shape. At the very least if you go slow and are careful to watch him you will get a very good idea of what exactly is causing his problems. Just be warned, the first week or so in my experience can cause things to get a little bit worse, don't let a little puking turn you off of raw. As long as it is mild it tends to pass once they get more used to what they are eating.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2014, 10:56 PM
chi lover
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Name: Lori
Posts: 105
Thanks: 35
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Charlie-chi View Post
I didn't know about the benefits of pumpkin seeds! Is it best to give a few everyday or give more say once a week? Do you feed them whole or grind them and sprinkle on food? X
i have this same question.. anyone?? also on a possible substitute for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS View Post
My lab was diagnosed with "gastroenteritis" and "liver issues" (the vet wouldn't say hepatitus, but technically that's what she has, her liver and intestines get inflamed when she's overly stressed... which is a lot of the time, since she's fence and leash reactive and hyper as all get out (even for an 8 yr old lab). I was given sucralfate to coat her stomach, and probiotics to help with digestion. I used the sucralfate for 3 days until the symptoms dissipated and continued with the pros until they were gone. Now I make sure I remove the skin and any excess fat from anything she gets, and it has really helped a lot, as has adding in yogurt with live culture.

Since switching to PMR my lab mix (who is ~11) no longer gets hot spots, he no longer tests positive for lyme disease and he acts like a puppy more often than not. His joints don't bother him like they did when he was on kibble, and he doesn't go days without eating because he's tired of eating the same. thing. every. day.
My choc lab (~8 yrs old, we're guessing) no longer gets bi-monthly ear infections like she use to (she's had 1 since we switched to raw 4 years ago). While she has the neurological and gastric issues listed above, they are much more easily managed since the switch to raw. Her flare ups happen less often, and clear up far more quickly than they did while on kibble.
My chi mix, well, she's always been raw fed, with a bit of kibble thrown in here or there when times got rough. And she's only 2, and she'll eat just about anything. And that's my commercial for raw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doginthedesert View Post
You got a lot of good answers but I will put my 2 cents in to as a long time prey model raw-ish feeder. I feed pretty much prey model but also add 5-10% veggies to their diet. I have access to a lot of fresh, local produce and I think it works for my guys, but it is not nessicary. Straight up prey model also works for a lot of people.

Now with the questions:

Are you supposed to add something else to the food? Any vitamins or anything else?

I add fish oil and only when I am feeding commercial meat. I get a lot of local pastured stuff and I don't add fish oil on those days. I also add coconut oil every so often and my chi with LP is on a manganese supplement we get from our vet that has really been helping her with that, along with glucosamine/msm/condroitin. That I only add to hers though, Kerri- my healthy chi doesn't get any of the joint supplements. When I first started I used a multi vitamin for dogs called Dogzymes, but I don't think it is necessary.

Also do you feed the same menu every week? Like every monday is meat mondey and Wednesdays are chicken day? Or do you have any receipts you can share?

I feed whatever I have. Chicken, beef, game, rabbit, pork in whatever order I pull it out of the freezer! But if you want to feed on a schedule because it helps you that would be fine too.

Where do you buy the food from? Does it have to be fresh or can it be from the supermarket like those wallmart meats that come in trays? or should I buy it directly from a butchery?


Walmart is actually great around here because they have a lot of ethnic meats, organs and at least in my area their chicken fryers don't have any added sodium (but check, it is different everywhere). I actually get most of my meat from local farmers, and I just bought a whole cow for the family so they are getting a lot of that. I get my chicken parts usually from safeway or costco when I need them for extra bone. It is fine to get it from anyplace that sells meat as long as it is not enhanced with sodium or anything like that.

And my baby has had gastric and grain/starch aka itchy pet problems since he was born so the food topic has always been a point of debate with the vet, he will always go for hill's and all the science diet formulas but i will forever disagree with him. So if any of you has a chi with the same problem or knows about the subject I will be more than willing to listen to what you have to say, read experiences and maybe share menus


My Copley had stomach issues constantly before we went to raw, we were at the vet constantly, but they never really could give a good diagnosis. Now after about 4 years on raw he can eat anything. I went slow, just chicken for several weeks (as in no treats or supplements or anything, just chicken) and then added other stuff in slowly. That dog has a stomach of steel at this point. Raw is not a cure all, but if the problem is just that they can't handle the kibble then you will be in good shape. At the very least if you go slow and are careful to watch him you will get a very good idea of what exactly is causing his problems. Just be warned, the first week or so in my experience can cause things to get a little bit worse, don't let a little puking turn you off of raw. As long as it is mild it tends to pass once they get more used to what they are eating.
well after doing some more research and reading your replies (thanks btw) i've been convinced about raw feeding and i'm so doing it. i'm just curious about the process.

most pages say "start slow" but i was also going through brody's mom pinned post about raw and it said to throw kibble away so, i guess the change is not like when you change kibble like 80%old kibble and 20% new kibble right? i don't know if i'm making sense here but i mean like i have to start 100% just chicken? no other protein or meat? only chicken + the fish oil and coconut oil? maybe throw some calcium in there? is it okay to start just with chicken breast or can i give him wings and other body parts? he's so not a slow eater, he devours food like there's no tomorrow

also if my baby weights 7.5 pounds and he's on his ideal weight (i used the calculator and said about 3 ounces per day) does that include the bone or only the weight of the meat?

and this one's for Annie for all the gastric problems he's been trough, since you've had some experience, should i boil the chicken or is there no problem if i feed it to him fully raw? and like for how many weeks did you feed him only chicken? and did you feed him a specific part of the chicken or can i give him any kind of chicken meat?

i was going through some pages (because i can't find a decent vet in town and none of them has given a good or convincing diagnosis) and the symptoms he's been showing look a lot like IBD and SIBO symptoms. most of those pages suggest and encourage to a raw diet so i'm going for it. i'm tired of seeing my poor little baby suffering and in pain, from vet to vet and from meds to new meds. this little pooch is my sunshine
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:08 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Chihuahua People 2004-2009
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum